Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I have tried Chrome but in its turn that doesn't seem to be the best browser for many of the sites I visit more frequently.  I don't wish to run two browsers using one for only a single site; I tried that when a popular Facebook-related program ceased to support Safari but abandoned as it became too fussy.  I'm not that comfortable with computers that I feel happy switching between browsers all the time either.

I have had no problems with Safari on any other site including the many I use for shopping.  What I have had is one comment via the Hattons "Chat Now" facility to the effect that they (the person then speaking to me, at least, if not the IT people as a whole) were aware of an intermittent Safari-related issue with their site (my italics) and hoped to have it resolved "soon".  That was over two years ago.

Firefox may be

but I find Safari 99.5% with eHattons cart accounting for the other 0.5%.

I guess I'm used to having two browsers sided by side at work. Most of our school related programs run better on Chrome, but all of the Education department stuff only works properly on Internet Explorer. Even so, I'm not a huge fan of either browser!

The buttons work fine on OS X in Seamonkey, which is my browser of choice (the spiritual successor to the original Netscape browser, uses the same underlying technology but he user interface is old-fashioned and doesn't change every other week), but not under any Linux browser.

I don't know if anyone else feels like me, a sense of frustration (when trying to scroll through the various sections of their product catalogue) at having to wade through page after page of second hand items while trying to see what current new stock they have. I contacted them to suggest that it would be more sensible to have their second hand stock listed separately, but to no effect.

It's a pity, because I find it's a powerful disincentive to visiting their site and therefore potentially buying from them. I have always in the past found them good to deal with, but I do it much less often nowadays.

I don't know if anyone else feels like me, a sense of frustration (when trying to scroll through the various sections of their product catalogue) at having to wade through page after page of second hand items while trying to see what current new stock they have. I contacted them to suggest that it would be more sensible to have their second hand stock listed separately, but to no effect.

It's a pity, because I find it's a powerful disincentive to visiting their site and therefore potentially buying from them. I have always in the past found them good to deal with, but I do it much less often nowadays.

I find it quite useful sometimes. I saved a bit by buying a secondhand Dapol building kit rather than a new one, as they both came up on the same page. I wouldn't have thought of searching for a secondhand one.

• RMweb Premium

there is a tick box in the top right corner next to the sort by box untick this removes the pre owned stuff

john

• RMweb Gold

Hi Terry,

We've had a 'switch' on our product listings for a few months now which filters your search to new and forthcoming items only. The box will be in to the top right of your listings and is pre-set to show all stock, but can be unselected to filter Pre-Owned items out.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dave

(edit - looks like I was beaten to it, thanks John!)

post-28458-0-53659200-1470907076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 3

Hi Terry,

We've had a 'switch' on our product listings for a few months now which filters your search to new and forthcoming items only. The box will be in to the top right of your listings and is pre-set to show all stock, but can be unselected to filter Pre-Owned items out.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dave

(edit - looks like I was beaten to it, thanks John!)

attachicon.gifPreowned.JPG

OK thanks very much. I will use that.

Hatton's sees sales soar post-Brexit.

Brexit isn’t to everyone’s taste but one Merseyside model railway business has seen sales soar since the EU Referendum vote.

Hatton's which supplies model railways and accessories to customers all over the world, says since the ballot it has enjoyed revenue increases of almost 70% in the EU (and higher worldwide) with a rise of more than 28% in the UK.

The business, which was forecast to deliver revenue in excess of £15m this year, has been surprised by its buoyant post-Brexit performance.

Its ecommerce conversion rate is up more than 21%, average order value is rising and online transactions are up by 13.42%.

Hatton’s has delivered year-on-year growth since 2005, with the bulk of its sales online, and is still family owned.

Managing director Richard Davies said: “We weren’t sure what to expect after Brexit but we didn’t anticipate the positive impact on sales we’ve been experiencing.

“We currently employ 73 people, and we’ve had to add eight new starters across July and August to cope with extra demand.”

Comparing the four weeks Pre Brexit (May 25 to June 22) with the four weeks following (June 23 to July 21) EU-only revenue was up 69.46%, revenue from UK customers rose 28.31% and international revenue rose by 72%.

In the eight-week period across post and pre-Brexit revenue was up 28.38%.

Liverpool Echo

• Like 1

After using the switch, it would be better if there was one that could turn off the second hand for the entire site and leave it off until re-selected.

That would be my pick, a 'master switch' to enable selection of 'new only' or 's/h only', for the whole visit (retain 'combined' as a choice if it is considered vital, I should think it appeals to relatively few). I often would like to look at the s/h only: and making this access easier for the customer is probably a winner...

Frankly the present 'combined' is a pile of ordure. It's akin to walking into a supermarket and finding the late dated product randomly blocking all the aisles. This isn't working for  Morrisons, and I doubt it is enhancing Hattons rep.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons took a commercial decision to enter the second hand market under the "Like New" branding. At first a relatively small number of items appeared which did appear from their photos to be in very good order. Some would be considered highly sought-after.

It didn't take long for the second hand stock to flood some sections. A quick browse yesterday suggested a large collection of RT bus models had recently been acquired and added as an example. The descriptor "Like New" now gas to be taken with a pinch of salt as some items quite clearly are not like new. Some second hand items are offered "as seen" with varying amounts of damage to the item, its box (if it has one) or both.

While a few rarities continue to turn up and many items are offered in very good used condition I find the inability to switch off second hand items with one click across the site or linked to my account is irritating and can both lower the quality of my browsing experience and take up unnecessary time. I emailed Hattons with these comments some time ago but never received a reply.

I can't say turning off the second hand section is all that difficult or time consuming.  You can't look at everything at the same time anyway (not that I am aware of anyway). If am looking at diesels (for example)  I usually sort by price and disable the second hand items.

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Gold

Hattons are apparently "upgrading" their warehouse to improve order dispatch.

Or that's the reason I've been given for an order of in-stock items that has been charged for but not yet dispatched a week later.

It was stated by one employee that the order had been picked on Tuesday (ok, 3 days late) and would leave on Wednesday. No confirmation emails received, so I enquired again this morning, to be told that the order had "just been picked" and would be dispatched "at the start of the week" (read: next week - 10 days after order!)

And this certainly ISN'T an upgrade on their previously excellent service

Now I realize that this isn't life-threatening. However, I do try to plan deliveries that come via DHL for a time that I will be home, so I can sign / receive them. I'm often not home, due to work, and a trip to the "local" DHL office to pick something up is 95 miles round trip, which would take at least a couple of hours in normal SoCal traffic. Hence why I placed this particular order within a 3 week window when I knew I'd be home..

.As a long term, regular Hattons customer, this is the first time I've ever had a significant issue with dispatch on an order. I don't mind a delay *IF* it is correctly communicated, and *IF* I get a consistent story. On this occasion I have received neither, and feel like I'm either getting the run-around, or half the truth, or both.

Not impressed. I don't have a local model shop to give my business to. However, if I don't receive a consistent story and some action soon, I'll be forced to look for an alternative supplier..

• RMweb Premium

My most recent order has also been slightly delayed if the picking email is anything to go by.  I suspect those might be auto-generated just as are earlier Order Processed ones.  Or there might be a glut of orders waiting to be packed and shipped if the overseas market has suddenly boomed after the Brexit vote as they say.  There is every reason here to suggest it could have as the exchange rate is somewhat better than for some time past.

As most items take 10 - 14 days to reach me anyway a delay at the warehouse isn't really of concern.  Presenting a consistent story to customers is, however, and an organisation the size of Hattons should have order tracking such that any member of their staff can track and give accurate information on any order at any time until it has left the warehouse.

Last time I placed an order with Hatton's, (approx. 2 months ago) after few days of not getting any emails of my order, I spoke to one of their staff via the live chat, I was told that, at the time that they had a backlog of orders, which at the time I could understand as they had not long moved from the Liverpool shop.  A previous order that I placed earlier in the year they sent to Belgium instead of Ireland!!!. 

My last 3 orders with Hatton's this year have had some problem or another ( only minor issues maybe), but their service does not seem to be like it was.  

Earlier this week I tried to place an order, went to pay, and did not get an option to use Paypal which I have done on my last few orders.  As a result, I ordered from another supplier, despite being a bit extra postage, worked out about same price as Hatton's, and I received items this morning which I ordered on Tuesday.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Hoping you don't mind me straying from my usual role of providing updates RE our Commissioned Models but I wanted to make sure you got a direct response.

John, please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies with the info you've been provided. As I can't see you exact details (I'm not on the ordering side of the office!) I can't say exactly why what has happened has happened, but its definitely not what we intend to do. This applies to 'Gwiwer' and 'Irishmail' too, as well as those of you who may have experienced similar but not commented. 'Irishmail' - we have made some minor changes to our PayPal system, if you're still having issues please give us a call or an email and we'll guide you through it.

We do have full order tracking with each order and Pre-order having a unique reference (if you ever want to have a look, it'll be the 7 digit number on your paperwork) so we can track your order by this or personal details.

We are working on revamping our warehouse and dispatch operations this week. We have found that we've had an increase in orders this year and the time was right to streamline our operation to close the important gap between payment and receiving items, but there's no perfect time to do this. The plan is to complete this over the weekend with a return to form heading into the week ahead after which we will be back up to speed. I grabbed a quick photo when I first saw this thread at 10am, and the second is pretty much a 'live view'. If Team GB needed a 'Racking stacking' team I'm pretty sure we can provide it....

If anybody wants to query an order status (or any other matters!) please get in touch through the usual channels.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-25075400-1471611267_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-52681900-1471611266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 5

I attempted  to  place  another  order   this morning ( my  3rd  this week)  only to  find  that   the  Next  day delivery service  was  discontinued  due to the  warehouse  changes, although  there appeared to be  no notification on  their  website  prior to me  spending  time  entering  a  multiproduct order,

BUT !

As  the order contained  a  virtually  unobtainable  Continental  loco in the  S.H  section  ( Like  new)  Hopefilly!!   I  agreed to let  the order go through  but  it  does  make  it  awkward making  sure  of availablilty at  home  to  sign  for  the  delivery.

I find  Saturday  is usually  a good  day to take deliveries!

Re  the  warehouse  photos.................  is  that  rolls  of  Bubble  wrap  I see on  the  shelves,  if  so  it  makes  you realise  what  the  volume  of  orders  must  be  if  you  keep so much of  it  in  stock!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

Re  the  warehouse  photos.................  is  that  rolls  of  Bubble  wrap  I see on  the  shelves,  if  so  it  makes  you realise  what  the  volume  of  orders  must  be  if  you  keep so much of  it  in  stock!!

Pretty much a historical photo now I'm afraid! We've just set up this new gizmo to help with packing orders. I couldn't find the DCC socket though?

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-93752600-1471614794_thumb.jpg

• Like 4