Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

Placed my order online Sunday 11th for Heljan 8941 CLS 128 and a couple of diecast vehicles,requested and received by royal mail on Thursday,

ok I could have bought from my local shop but couldn't justify paying the extra £37 for the same 3 items not including postage!!

Further to post 579 Hattons have cancelled their order to send the Austin 7s by Yodel and are now sending it by Royal Mail on Monday as they saw my note to send the parcel by Royal Mail and no other courier.

On Thursday I made another 20 mile trip to my nearest model shop. The two models had arrived but the manager told me that he could not sell them to me as he had not priced them yet. Not a difficult task as he could have gone onto Oxford Diecast's web site or rang them up to find out. He had charged £30 for two similar models in December but I paid £28, including postage, to get them from Hattons.

It is a pity that I am on the south coast but have to deal with a model shop in Liverpool to get good service.

Further to post 579 Hattons have cancelled their order to send the Austin 7s by Yodel and are now sending it by Royal Mail on Monday as they saw my note to send the parcel by Royal Mail and no other courier.

On Thursday I made another 20 mile trip to my nearest model shop. The two models had arrived but the manager told me that he could not sell them to me as he had not priced them yet. Not a difficult task as he could have gone onto Oxford Diecast's web site or rang them up to find out. He had charged £30 for two similar models in December but I paid £28, including postage, to get them from Hattons.

It is a pity that I am on the south coast but have to deal with a model shop in Liverpool to get good service.

It is  so  annoying  when  dealers  wont sell what they have  available, using  the  excuse that they dont know the price!  I tried to buy an  item from an online dealer some weeks  ago  and  got the excuse  that  'someone had reserved it' as  it was the  last  one they  had, all well and  good  but I would  have  thought  that  it would  have been  more beneficial  to  get  the  cash  in!

I have no problem with Yodel these days, I think that  the main problem with  them is the quality of   the person  that  delivers,  2 years or so ago  we did have  prblems with incorrectly delivered parcels, but since  then  it  has all  worked very  smoothly, in fact   as i write I am awaiting  a  further  Hattons/Yodel delivery.

It is  strange  to  think  that  I can  actually  see Liverpool ( ie the 2 cathedrals) from the town where  we live, Buckley is  approx 500' above sea level, and as the crow  flies L'pool is around 15miles away,  however it is  far  cheaper to mail order  as driving  is  either   50 mile  or  68 mile round trip depending whether  the Mersey tunnel (toll) route, or Widnes route is  used.  The  cost of delivery  is  far  less  than  the  Petrol  (+ tunnel  toll)  cost, and  it  only  takes  a few mins to mail order!!

I have just unwrapped my pre-owned goodies from Hattons, had a gander on the O Gauge section, spotted this all described as new, 13 yards of B/H Peco track £54.00, 1 x Peco L/H point £31.00 & 1 x Peco R/H £31.00, took a punt ordered it Sunday morning at 09.19am and hey presto it has all up turned today via Yodel, all nicely packaged, opened it up and it is all brand new, now the track sections brand new are normally £60.00 for 12 and the points are £38.00ea, so I saved myself £14.00 and got an extra yard of track in the process, in reality saved £20.00.

Just to add Hattons service is good, and I have never experienced a problem with Yodel "unlike many others on here", I did select Royal Mail though on the postage choice !!!

Bingo well chuffed

Craig.

• Like 2

I have just unwrapped my pre-owned goodies from Hattons, had a gander on the O Gauge section, spotted this all described as new, 13 yards of B/H Peco track £54.00, 1 x Peco L/H point £31.00 & 1 x Peco R/H £31.00, took a punt ordered it Sunday morning at 09.19am and hey presto it has all up turned today via Yodel, all nicely packaged, opened it up and it is all brand new, now the track sections brand new are normally £60.00 for 12 and the points are £38.00ea, so I saved myself £14.00 and got an extra yard of track in the process, in reality saved £20.00.

Just to add Hattons service is good, and I have never experienced a problem with Yodel "unlike many others on here", I did select Royal Mail though on the postage choice !!!

Bingo well chuffed

Craig.

Hi Craig

Were  they  1  yard  track  lengths?  ( i assume  they  would  be  & not  the  setrack 0 gauge) 

The  reason  that  they  would  have  used  Yodel  is  the  limitations on length imposed  by Royal Mail  the  max  length  for Mediuam  Parcels  is  61 CM  anything  above  and  up to  1.5 Metres has  to  go  by  Parcelforce which  is  more  expensive  ie 2kg  costs £11.99 on the 48 hr service  and  I suspect  your  parcel  with all that  track  would  exceed 2KG.

Somewhere on  Hattons  site  there  is  a message stating  that  long  things  have to go  by courier

Hi Craig

Were  they  1  yard  track  lengths?  ( i assume  they  would  be  & not  the  setrack 0 gauge) 

The  reason  that  they  would  have  used  Yodel  is  the  limitations on length imposed  by Royal Mail  the  max  length  for Mediuam  Parcels  is  61 CM  anything  above  and  up to  1.5 Metres has  to  go  by  Parcelforce which  is  more  expensive  ie 2kg  costs £11.99 on the 48 hr service  and  I suspect  your  parcel  with all that  track  would  exceed 2KG.

Somewhere on  Hattons  site  there  is  a message stating  that  long  things  have to go  by courier

Hi Steve, yes they where the 1 yard lengths, it is still a good service for £4.00 !!!  :imsohappy:

Been a Hatton's customer since around 2012 when I decided to return to the hobby. Had grabbed some right bargains towards the end of the "Golden Era", where you could get excellent models for peanuts. Disappointingly had my first minor hiccup today - received a damaged item a week or two back. Sent it back to them along with two other items I decided I didn't need and had to chase them for the refund. Very friendly on the chat service and on the phone though. I tend to judge companies based on their performance when things go wrong. In this respect, Hatton's still ranks very highly in my books. 

Just throwing this out there.

A few months ago, 2 car blue/ grey class 108 DMU showed as a bargain for 59 quid with more than ten in stock. Then (just as I'm about to order one!), it disappeared from the website as no longer available.

It has reappeared today as a "bargain" for 108 pounds...

"Back in stock"?

Something similar happened to me with the NSE Mk2 BSOs. They were £14 and literally the day I went to order they were no longer on the website. They're back again now at a higher price.

Hattons  are STOCKTAKING  From 22nd Jan apparently  nothing  can be collected from  store  Friday,, Last chance  for next day delivery  is 2-00pm 22nd.

Apologies  for  this being a bit brief  but  details on eHattons  Home  page

Hattons  informed  me  some  time  ago  Yodel  have  a  collection  from  Hattons ( Widnes Warehouse)  around 4 ish on SUNDAY..............So if  your orders  are  in  the  system by 2-00  they  should be  collected ( obvioulsy  the  earlier the order is placed on Sundays  is beneficial to ensure it is packed)

I have had  quite  a few deliveries in this  way.

Just placed an order with Hatton's and they are still having problems with their website rejecting in-date credit cards as expired.  I've e-mailed them about it again and have pointed out that some people have reported cancelling large orders when they have missed out on pre-ordered items because of this. 

I have a Dapol/Hatton's limited edition 121 and 122 on pre-order and will change my card details to my debit card (for which there is no expiry problem) when they are due for delivery.

• RMweb Premium

Is it me not paying attention, or have Hatton's not received any of the new Hornby 2015 models that are already available (and in some cases have been for while) from other retailers? Those models that immediately come to mind are the Railroad Class 37 and 40 TTS, the 21T hoppers and the LMS Horse Box, most having an "expected" date much later in the year (presumably a later not the first batch produced). I wonder if Hatton's orders late (as someone alluded last year) and so is only being supplied from the first batch of a model if there are sufficient to go round all pre-orders?

I've always had excellent service from them, but have already cancelled two pre-orders and bought elsewhere, in case eventual supply is insufficient to meet demand.

Edited by brushman47544

They had 7 TTS class 37s' last week but by the time I went to order one (5mins) they were out of stock.They are down as on  order and they emailed to say they would have them sometime in about the next 4 weeks. Most dealers seem to have had small amounts of these so perhaps that is the problem.I usually find Hattons have stock before a lot of other shops.

I like Hattons and dealt with them several times before I took a 20 year break from all this lark.

They do seem to have a "thing" for using yodel. I have not had a good experience with yodel- either personally or at work (at work I tell my suppliers that the first time they use yodel will be the last time I buy from them).

I have to say that unless I could get a written/ email confirmation from Hattons that I just would not buy from them as there's always the risk I might have to speak to the local yodel depot again (bad for my blood pressure). I don't care about paying higher carriage charges- it's worth it to avoid that courier.

Is it me not paying attention, or have Hatton's not received any of the new Hornby 2015 models that are already available (and in some cases have been for while) from other retailers? Those models that immediately come to mind are the Railroad Class 37 and 40 TTS, the 21T hoppers and the LMS Horse Box, most having an "expected" date much later in the year (presumably a later not the first batch produced). I wonder if Hatton's orders late (as someone alluded last year) and so is only being supplied from the first batch of a model if there are sufficient to go round all pre-orders?

I've always had excellent service from them, but have already cancelled two pre-orders and bought elsewhere, in case eventual supply is insufficient to meet demand.

A few weeks ago I was waiting for the Hornby 21t hoppers before I made an order thought they must have sold them all to pre orders but not even a photo ? and again today no LMS horsebox, J15, early K1, WW1 troop train perhaps the Kings got something to do with it ?

• RMweb Gold

I have been using Hattons for a long time and have nothing but praise for them. What I particularly like is that you cannot unknowingly buy something that is not in stock and then find out later when it does not arrive - the stock position is absolutely clear from the outset.

I was recently in a hurry to get a particular DCC Concepts item which Hattons showed as 'not in stock'; because it was holding me up I ordered it and a couple of other items from Gaugemaster at a much higher price. Two days later my other items arrived with an invoice showing that the key thing I was waiting for was out of stock and would follow!

This is massively irritating and simply does not happen with Hattons excellent stock control.

• Like 4

I really personally can't fault Hattons in my own transactions in the past. My most recent order was placed yesterday lunchtime and it arrived this afternoon using the £4 Yodel delivery. Order well packed, speedily delivered and all correct. Couldn't recommend highly enough in this instance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hattons  informed  me  some  time  ago  Yodel  have  a  collection  from  Hattons ( Widnes Warehouse)  around 4 ish on SUNDAY..............So if  your orders  are  in  the  system by 2-00  they  should be  collected ( obvioulsy  the  earlier the order is placed on Sundays  is beneficial to ensure it is packed)

I have had  quite  a few deliveries in this  way.

Heljan new 7mm Esso Tank orderd Saturday; email to say picked Sunday afternoon, delivered by Yodel Monday morning - I can't complain...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dare I suggest that had the increases been minimal then Hattons may have absorbed them and honoured the pre-order price but as the increases are fairly hefty even they can't afford to take a hit like that.

From a customer perspective it is annoying that pre-order prices are not honoured but personally I think it's the manufacturers that are to blame; they announce products with lead times in excess of two years sometimes!

I cancelled all my pre-orders for that very reason and will make a decision on a purchase at the time of release.

• Like 2