SR Van B 'Stove'

Fat Controller

The Reverend has just been in touch, asking if I had any idea of the location of the stove (and more specifically, the chimney) on those ex-SR Van Bs that were so fitted. These are the ones that had a yellow-painted guard's door. I've looked at Robert CWP and Paul Bartlett's sites, but images of these particular vehicles seem to be few and far between.

Logically, the stove should be to the right of the guard's door, but how far off-centre would it have been?

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

If no one beats me to it Brian, I'll dig out my copy of the Gould book on the breed. All of the pictures I can find (quickly at any rate) seem to post-date the removal of the stoves, or at least the chimneys.

Adam

I expect the Gould book will provide a clearer answer, but the chimney is shown on a drawing (fig 66) in Mike King's An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches, and the position is roughly confirmed by a photo on p107 of Arlett & Lockett, The Somerset & Dorset in colour. In both cases the chimney is about 18" in from the edge of the roof, in line with the centre of the guards door on the opposite side.

Nick

I expect the Gould book will provide a clearer answer, but the chimney is shown on a drawing (fig 66) in Mike King's An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches, and the position is roughly confirmed by a photo on p107 of Arlett & Lockett, The Somerset & Dorset in colour. In both cases the chimney is about 18" in from the edge of the roof, in line with the centre of the guards door on the opposite side.

Nick

Thanks, Nick- I've forwarded this to the Rev.

Archived