The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd bet there's plenty of folk these days who can't deal with an analogue watch at all....

Never come across analogue clocks much at all now.

But when I was really young I thought that was what the things on the front of a steam loco were for.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nick C said:

And what's wrong with using a sundial, I ask you! Youth today...

7 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

Where can you buy a decent strap for a sundial these days?

Problem is adjusting sundials when the clocks go back or forwards. But I wouldn't like to be the guy whose job it is to adjust Stonehenge.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a cheapo smartwatch that can display digital or analogue faces; I have opted for one of the digitals because that is what I think is the plainest and simplest one to read quickly on this particular watch.  I am finding it useful for tracking my blood pressure, and it can do other tricks as well, including daily step counting, and graphic presentation of the last 24 hours' heart rate.  It has a light, basically a white-out display, which is handy in dark rooms for finding lightswitches, the phone (though it can make that jingle for you), or the front door keyhole at night.  It's most useful feature, though, by a mile, is the vibration alarm that goes off when someone phones my smartphone, which I can't always hear against traffic or pub noise.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Problem is adjusting sundials when the clocks go back or forwards. But I wouldn't like to be the guy whose job it is to adjust Stonehenge.

image.png

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2023 at 13:01, Nick C said:

Firmware? I'm pretty sure @PhilJ W is talking about analogue watches! The kind that have a little window showing the day of the month, which you then have to adjust whenever there's a month with less than 31 days...

Can get some cheap ones that do the month too, but not leap years (as the another post said you can get that too if you're prepared to pay!)

I much prefer an analogue display, it somehow gives me more of a "feel" of what the time actually is - where I know that 1:55 is pretty close to 2 o'clock the sight of the minute hand being close to it somehow gives a much better impression of near to (and elapsed from). It's somehow easier to see at a glance (not that it's exactly much effort from a digital display either).

The fact that it's ideally an actual analogue face and not a picture of one on a screen is personal preference, although it seems a bit daft to me to use a lot of complex technology to do the same job!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

When at uni my sister bought me a traditional analogue wall clock BUT it went anti-clockwise. At uni, being a 1960s development, all the clocks were the digital type that flip over.
when I went home i couldnt read the traditional analogue clocks, i had to mentally convert them to my backworks so as to read the time.    

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Here's an interesting factoid about analogue watches. If you see someone look at their watch and immediately ask them the time, they will look at their watch again before answering. 

And there are those that are convinced that a wristwatch with a digital display is more "accurate"....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember hearing something (years ago) on the radio. They were standing just outside the Houses of Parliament, under arguably the most famous clock in the country, asking random passers-by the time. Not one of them pointed at said clock...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And there are those that are convinced that a wristwatch with a digital display is more "accurate"....

Only a stopped analogue timepiece can ever be accurate, and then only twice a day…  I find my iPhone, linked to the atomic clock at Cern, close enough for jazz, though.  

I also have a patio clock set to correct astronomical time for Cardiff, 13.5 minutes behind Greenwich, because that’s the way I roll…

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Only a stopped analogue timepiece can ever be accurate, and then only twice a day…  I find my iPhone, linked to the atomic clock at Cern, close enough for jazz, though.  

I also have a patio clock set to correct astronomical time for Cardiff, 13.5 minutes behind Greenwich, because that’s the way I roll…

Ah, now you're confusing accuracy with precision. It's now 4pm (accurate, to the nearest 5 minutes) on my analogue wristwatch, but 15:59 (precise, but maybe not accurate as it's not synced to anything) on my PC clock...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

When at uni my sister bought me a traditional analogue wall clock BUT it went anti-clockwise. At uni, being a 1960s development, all the clocks were the digital type that flip over.
when I went home i couldnt read the traditional analogue clocks, i had to mentally convert them to my backworks so as to read the time.    

Years ago, at work (pre-railway), the (analogue) office clock was behind me, but I could see it in a mirror on the opposite wall.

Being a lazy so-and-so, I became adept at reading the backwards reflection rather than turning round!

John

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The BRSA (staff club) at Severn Tunnel Jc had a backwards clock.  This could cause issues after a couple of beers...

I can just imagine the results of getting in from the pub and claiming that you had got in early, 'cause the pub clock said 10.30.....     🤕