The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That's another hate of mine.

Perfectly good chocolates and patisserie spoiled by the taste of salt.

I assume it's these people you see in restaurants covering their food with loads of salt.

Their taste buds are so totally shot that they can't taste anything without salt.

Has this turned into the "things that make you :(" thread?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I assume it's these people you see in restaurants covering their food with loads of salt.

I was lodging in Oxford last week and the restaurant was a marco Pierre white one, ordered some sourdough bread as a side (warburtons would have done!) and the butter came with copious amounts of massive salt crystals sprinkled all over the top, May as well have licked a council gritter (not rhyming slang) 

they also looked horrified when i showed up in my orange work gear straight from the job as the hotel was a last minute addition to my job and I didn’t have a change of clothes for the evening, quickly ushered into the corner so I didn’t lower the tone too much! 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That's another hate of mine.

Perfectly good chocolates and patisserie spoiled by the taste of salt.

Their taste buds are so totally shot that they can't taste anything without salt.

Or they are North European? Love salty liquorice

I'm probably one of the few from outside that area that can eat their stinky fish!

Surströmming - Look it up....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

British Gas and their customer (non-)support system. Too complex to go into but a very frustrating two-days trying to resolve a service call for a boiler leak. Told we were covered for faults on the service plan a few weeks ago by the fitter during the annual service but found out we aren't when the boiler starts to leak!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

The way the forum software sometimes truncates topic titles on the RMWeb front page can sometimes make me do a double take, example from just now:

mb1.jpg.bc4deaecd9a0a21e144b113a744b5c65.jpg

Its a "One size fits all" approach!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

18 hours ago, big jim said:

I was lodging in Oxford last week and the restaurant was a marco Pierre white one, ordered some sourdough bread as a side (warburtons would have done!) and the butter came with copious amounts of massive salt crystals sprinkled all over the top, May as well have licked a council gritter (not rhyming slang) 

Was that the one at the Leonardo Royal?

(was Jurys Inn). 

If so, M'Lady wasn't impressed either, she much prefers the other "Mr White".

i.e. Raymond Blanc's place at Le Manoir.

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/uk/oxfordshire/belmond-le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons/

That reminds me, I did once have a great "wind-up" story about how Raymond Blanc became successful.

Not a lot of people know that he grew up near Michael Caine in Rotherhithe and London Docks. Proper Cockernee Geezer he was, gor blimey. Ray's mum & dad had a nice little cafe, serving decent grub, and the best Jellied Eels in London! But he wanted to do better, go up the world, know wot I mean? Now here's the thing - you can't blow the doors off the catering world serving posh French grub in a caff in Rotherhithe. But his mate Michael got him eliocushun allokooshin lessons on how to talk proper, like what we do. And he changed his name from Ray White to Raymond Blanc, and he got a better cafe with fancy service and posh menus and proper cuisine. Now the world's his oyster.

Mange tout, Rodney!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Was that the one at the Leonardo Royal?

(was Jurys Inn). 

If so, M'Lady wasn't impressed either, she much prefers the other "Mr White".

Yes that’s the one, tbh I prefer to stay in the holiday inn express at peartree as I get IHG loyalty points, used them to book 2 rooms in Glasgow for the week after next when we go to see the panto! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Local corner shop this everning

20221209_181047.jpg

Ruddy 'eck!

We've not even had Christmas....

It was bad enough when Easter Eggs (ok Creme Eggs) started popping their heads over the parapet just after the New Year Sales. Then they started appearing just before New Years Eve.  Now they can't even wait until after His birthday!!!!

Don't even give a damn about the silly pricing....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

FB_IMG_1670624358311.jpg

14 hours ago, ian said:

Not to mention some flashing blue lights and a number of men dressed in black...

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Depends on where you live, nowadays. 😺😺

Put some christmas tree lights on it and everyone in the neighbourhood will be able to smell/tell you've got one.  The boys in blue will be opening your door with the big red key at 5am the next morning...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Put some christmas tree lights on it and everyone in the neighbourhood will be able to smell/tell you've got one.  The boys in blue will be opening your door with the big red key at 5am the next morning...

J.S. Bach is highlighting the fact that some states in the US, you are allowed to grow and use personal amounts of funny trees!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Hroth said:

It was bad enough when Easter Eggs (ok Creme Eggs) started popping their heads over the parapet just after the New Year Sales. Then they started appearing just before New Years Eve.  Now they can't even wait until after His birthday!!!!

Surely they have been available 365 days for many a year?

I don't associate them with Easter at all,

I don't associate Cadbury's with chocolate either. Odd really as I went to school in Bournville for 5 years and went past Cadbury's main gate on the bus every day to get there and back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

J.S. Bach is highlighting the fact that some states in the US, you are allowed to grow and use personal amounts of funny trees!

Like Norwegian Spruce?

Obviously where the Beatles got the inspiration for Norwegian Wood,

High on pine resin?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Though I think you'd be pushing it to claim that a whole tree was for personal use...

• Funny 5