The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I did try both shops, I find their prices are NOT as cheap as they make out alot of the time (compare sizes). Food is to me is of inferior taste a lot of the time. Middle aisle 'toys' are as often spoken in the tool trade "pay cheap and buy twice" Everything I have bought from that aisle has been in that category as far as I'm concerned. Hence why I gave up going in them. Last words on the subject from me, each to their own.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

18 months ago I bought one of Lidl's mini cordless screwdrivers (charges on a USB C plug,) this gets used pretty much every day, briinant for self drill screws into purlings nice and slow and just keeps going, gets chucked back in the tow along caddy and works hard for its living, has surprised a lot of others on sites when they see it but they stop laughing when they see what it does...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I thought the whold point of mince pies was that they last a long time

Originally they were made of minced meat (whatever was available) and fruit.

I doubt they would keep as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, John Besley said:

18 months ago I bought one of Lidl's mini cordless screwdrivers

I've had good and bad amongst their tools.

18v cordless hammer drill - rubbish, it was about half the power of a 9v Bosch and the batteries were useless, going flat between jobs and needing a charge to use again. Worst drill I've had.

Cordless multi tool - excellent, ideal modelling tool and no problem with batteries.

I've also got one of those things with a flexible shaft with various size colletts for different jobs. Another good modelling tool.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

If you leave them that long you should be reported for abandonment, mince pies sole purpose is to be eaten, immediately! 🎅

Any mince pies that, by some miracle, appeared in this house would end up on the bird feeder. Neither of us can stand them.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The problem with mincepies is that they aren't sold in airtight packaging, which allows them to dehydrate and leaves them open to airborne spores, etc.

Commercial Christmas Puddings are a different kettle of fish, as they are usually supplied in sealed, airtight containers*. They may be stored in a cool dark place for years without ill effect, only requiring a good stabbing with a cake skewer and liberal annointing with the alcoholic solvent of your choice to revitalise them!

* If the lid of the container does start to blow, then it is wise to bin them...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Dip sprouts in garlic oil and roast them gently, with the turkey is fine.  Trust me.  

Or chop them in half, and fry for a few minutes in butter, with a rasher of finely chopped bacon and a sprinking of breadcrumbs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Regarding sprouts, I think it had been discovered that a liking for the little balls of pus has a genetic basis.

Some people like Marmite, some like salted caramel. there's that test where a smear of something (can't remember what now) can be applied to tastebuds at the back of the tongue and can only be detected by about 50% of the population.  I know that there are attempts to breed the bitterness out of sprouts, but I'd prefer plant genticists to concentrate on more important things, like breeding even more drought resistant staple foodstuffs.

Some people like sprouts, some don't and its pointless trying to doctor the things and telling the dislikers that they would like them if they only gave sprouts a chance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, John Besley said:

18 months ago I bought one of Lidl's mini cordless screwdrivers (charges on a USB C plug,) this gets used pretty much every day, briinant for self drill screws into purlings nice and slow and just keeps going, gets chucked back in the tow along caddy and works hard for its living, has surprised a lot of others on sites when they see it but they stop laughing when they see what it does...

I have a similar one and it's definitely low powered and it's ideal for loosening/tightening screws into plastic, which it does nicely, without ripping the moulded hole to shreds, thus rendering the equipment completely unusable! I'm thinking of items, such as remotes which if you mess it up, it's only fit for the bin, because you can't reassemble it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Regarding sprouts, I think it had been discovered that a liking for the little balls of pus has a genetic basis.

Some people like sprouts, some don't and its pointless trying to doctor the things and telling the dislikers that they would like them if they only gave sprouts a chance.

This talk against sprouts reminds me of a BBC Christmas trailer a few years ago... 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKYOvMBqrY

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Nick C said:

Why would mince pies need a "Use By"? There's nothing in them that would go bad, surely?

Reminds me of the time M'Lady found a bottle of 10 year old Single Malt Whisky in the marked-down section of our local CoOp.

It had gone past its "best before" date!

We've never doubted the advice provided by the CoOp, so we consumed it - rapidly and cheerfully.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Welly said:

This talk against sprouts reminds me of a BBC Christmas trailer a few years ago... 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKYOvMBqrY

It was a funny take on sprouts, I liked the animations of Sprout Boy (was it really 2015?) but it wouldn't make me go out and buy a stick of 'em!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stewartingram said:

And you wouldn't get met in Aldi (or Lidl) even if you paid me. I prefer quality.

A not uncommon attitude, but one lacking enough inside knowledge or brand awareness.

16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Much of what Aldi sells has been found to be as good as and sometimes better than other retailers.

I concur, based on information received.

M'Lady got where she is today via managing multi-million pound catering contracts.  During the course of which she routinely haggled with all the major wholesale food suppliers. That included the wholesale supplier of meat for Marks & Spencers and Aldi.

Guess what?

It's from the same supplier, in similar packaging, just with a different brand label.

Same goes for most supermarket "own brand" products. Made on the same production lines as "famous name" brands, just with a different label stuck on before dispatch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A not uncommon attitude, but one lacking enough inside knowledge or brand awareness.

I concur, based on information received.

M'Lady got where she is today via managing multi-million pound catering contracts.  During the course of which she routinely haggled with all the major wholesale food suppliers. That included the wholesale supplier of meat for Marks & Spencers and Aldi.

Guess what?

It's from the same supplier, in similar packaging, just with a different brand label.

Same goes for most supermarket "own brand" products. Made on the same production lines as "famous name" brands, just with a different label stuck on before dispatch.

I have seen Ocean Spray cranberry juice going down the same filling / packing  line as Tesco, Lidi etc... just has slightly more water in the mix...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

some like salted caramel

That's another hate of mine.

Perfectly good chocolates and patisserie spoiled by the taste of salt.

I assume it's these people you see in restaurants covering their food with loads of salt.

Their taste buds are so totally shot that they can't taste anything without salt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2