The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

23 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Write about a train journey from London to Edinburgh in the style of H.G. Wells

The train sped northward, its powerful engine pushing it along the tracks at a rapid pace. I watched as the city of London quickly disappeared behind us, giving way to the rolling hills and verdant forests of the countryside.

As we journeyed onwards, I couldn't help but marvel at the wonders of this new mode of transportation. The train was a marvel of engineering, allowing us to travel long distances in a fraction of the time it would take by horse or carriage. I felt a sense of excitement and possibility, as if the world was suddenly open to exploration in a way it had never been before.

We passed through small towns and villages, each with its own unique character and charm. The scenery outside the window changed constantly, providing a never-ending feast for the eyes.

As we drew closer to Edinburgh, the landscape grew wilder and more rugged. Snow-capped mountains loomed in the distance, and the air grew colder. I pulled my coat tighter around me, eager to arrive and explore this new city.

Finally, the train pulled into Edinburgh station and came to a stop. I gathered my belongings and stepped off the train, eager to begin my adventures in this historic and fascinating place.

(Why am I hearing this in Richard Burton's voice???)

Richard Burton's voice...? Rightyho...

''Who are you looking at...?!!''

769505175_Villain475.jpg.05c0965d14d9df1751d32f0bcf770602.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Write about a train journey from London to Edinburgh in the style of H.G. Wells

The train sped northward, its powerful engine pushing it along the tracks at a rapid pace. I watched as the city of London quickly disappeared behind us, giving way to the rolling hills and verdant forests of the countryside.

As we journeyed onwards, I couldn't help but marvel at the wonders of this new mode of transportation. The train was a marvel of engineering, allowing us to travel long distances in a fraction of the time it would take by horse or carriage. I felt a sense of excitement and possibility, as if the world was suddenly open to exploration in a way it had never been before.

We passed through small towns and villages, each with its own unique character and charm. The scenery outside the window changed constantly, providing a never-ending feast for the eyes.

As we drew closer to Edinburgh, the landscape grew wilder and more rugged. Snow-capped mountains loomed in the distance, and the air grew colder. I pulled my coat tighter around me, eager to arrive and explore this new city.

Finally, the train pulled into Edinburgh station and came to a stop. I gathered my belongings and stepped off the train, eager to begin my adventures in this historic and fascinating place.

(Why am I hearing this in Richard Burton's voice???)

I'm sure that HG Wells would be well aware that the "powerful engine" would pull the train rather than push it. And "verdant forests"? 

B for effort, C- for detail!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Elton John on the Two Ronnies Christmas Special 1987.

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a handle in the wind

There were some technical problems and he had to do it four times.

image.png.f8ce25a82d1fe0d7832badbea415fb6c.png

We could start a thread just for misheard lyrics. The first time I heard "That's Entertainment" by The Jam I thought Paul Weller must have been getting a backhander from the Devon Tourist Board, 'cos I thought he was singing "Let's go to Teignmouth."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

I was at a punk gig many years ago and the band was really going great guns. When it came to their signature song, the singer was thrusting the mike into our faces in the mosh pit to sing the chorus, which was " knock 'em dead kid! Knock 'em dead!" One of our girls was suddenly confronted with the mike and sang "Like a chicken! Like an egg!" which she later swore blind was the lyrics...20 years to live that one down...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

It was only last week that I realized that the song, I have heard for decades, was not about a Paperback Rider...    

True, too.

Whilst I don't admit to mishearing lyrics (honest!), I do admit to liking on track comments from members of a band after the recording has "finished". A favourite is Paul Mccartneys "I've got blisters on my fingers" at the end of the bass heavy "Helter Skelter"...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Whilst I don't admit to mishearing lyrics (honest!), I do admit to liking on track comments from members of a band after the recording has "finished". A favourite is Paul Mccartneys "I've got blisters on my fingers" at the end of the bass heavy "Helter Skelter"...

not a misheard lyric but this little gem from the final mark and lard show in radio 1 always makes me laugh, live on afternoon national radio too!

some of lard classic cuts were brilliant 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, CameronL said:

We could start a thread just for misheard lyrics.

Too many online versions extant. Famously Jimmy Hendrix, "s'cuse me while I kiss this guy" (the sky) "Purple Haze" etc.

And then there's the parody misheard lyric music videos like "There's a Bathroom on the Right" (Bad Moon Rising by CCR).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Smells Like Teen Spirit

"What is this song all about,

Can't figure any lyrics out,

How do the words to it go,

I wish you'd tell me I don't know

Don't know, don't know..."

Prizes (*) to the person who knows who wrote those .

(*) Or kudos(**)

(**) Or apologies 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, CameronL said:

We could start a thread just for misheard lyrics. The first time I heard "That's Entertainment" by The Jam I thought Paul Weller must have been getting a backhander from the Devon Tourist Board, 'cos I thought he was singing "Let's go to Teignmouth."

There's an urban legend suggesting that Freddie Mercury really did end the studio recording of 'One Vision' with "gimme gimme gimme fried chicken"...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

There's an urban legend suggesting that Freddie Mercury really did end the studio recording of 'One Vision' with "gimme gimme gimme fried chicken"...

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

That is not an urban legend, that's actually what he sings..

It happened because somebody was making a documentary about Queen at the time, and the studio sessions during which One Vision was recorded were part of it. Freddie didn't like the cameras being there and played up a bit, having fun by suggesting alternative lyrics, as they were stil working on the lyrics in the studio. The "fried chicken" was part of a whole shopping list which which included  "one shrimp, one prawn, one clam, one chicken".

There were also some sexually explicit lyrics, substituting "one true religion" with "one sex position" among others.

Why they chose to leave "fried chicken" in is anyone's guess, but the fact that it's (at least) a three-part harmony suggests that they put some work into it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Along the same lines ...

image.png.403377a384ce4eb681820285d5bdec7f.png

But lest we forget - 

A pessimist is only an optimist's description of a realist.

Pessimists get pleasant surprises. Optimists get disappointments. 

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Hornby need a better advertising agency!

Screenshot (30).png

So, is Hornby going to be taken over by Dapol, who make the Kitmaster items dominating the above photo?  🤡🤡🤡

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 14:27, big jim said:

some of lard classic cuts were brilliant 

“In that condition? Yes” 😆

Brilliant show and it was nearly 20 years ago it finished?!? Where’s that time gone????? 💥

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2