The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

26 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Should a member of the Brethren also be an arm chair modeller?

No, because if their opinion is actually questioned they can give the reply "Well, I've been modelling for 40 years and..."

Edited by CameronL
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

There should be 26 rivets round the outside of that plaque, not 24 and I claim the Honorary Title immediately😁

Only the EBCR can bestow such a title. You might want to check out their initiation ceremony first. Rumours are that it's terrifying, but it's a very closely guarded secret. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

All personnel.

Please notice the changes to Rule 4 in carrying out your general duties.

(This has become necessary due to growing external influences.

S.H.M.D

BOARD

image.png.fe917b1199f35cb7dd9d108ca5dc7a6d.png

Kev.

On Behalf of SHMD.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SHMD said:

All personnel.

Please notice the changes to Rule 4 in carrying out your general duties.

(This has become necessary due to growing external influences.

S.H.M.D

BOARD

image.png.fe917b1199f35cb7dd9d108ca5dc7a6d.png

Kev.

On Behalf of SHMD.

Surprised that traction tyres aren't also part of rule 6

Andi

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Surprised that traction tyres aren't also part of rule 6

Andi

Good point.

Maybe "ONLY METAL WHEELS PERMITTED" would be more appropriate.

(I think I banned "Traction Tyres" well before I banned "Plastic Wheels")

Kev.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CameronL said:

Only the EBCR can bestow such a title. You might want to check out their initiation ceremony first. Rumours are that it's terrifying, but it's a very closely guarded secret. 

One rumour has it that the applicant has to actually admit that they have never had their Vernier Callipers calibrated for accuracy.....      😱

• Funny 7

58 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

One rumour has it that the applicant has to actually admit that they have never had their Vernier Callipers calibrated for accuracy.....      😱

But what about the aspirant who turned up with a metric vernier caliper?

Of course, a vernier caliper is just a guessing stick with pretensions to accuracy.

Personally, I swear by (and sometimes at) my Moore and Wright Imperial micrometer.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Also marked to show correction factor due to temperature variation and certificates (past 10 years at least) to show that the angle of the jaws has been checked against a standard. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Of course, a vernier caliper is just a guessing stick with pretensions to accuracy.

Personally, I swear by (and sometimes at) my Moore and Wright Imperial micrometer.

BEWARE...    imposter alert!!!    Conspirator, spreading theories, but failed in such subtle ways...   note "guessing stick" - such a clear, misleading, insult to all those Slide Rule users, including the numerous designers of all those record holding GWR British locos.....     however we should note that [despite the OO scale reference to Metric] no rivet counter would contemplate [shudders at the thought] actual measurement of a model, in that odious Napoleonic system.....  

We should also note the cunning inclusion of the mention of the Moore & Wright Imperial micrometer [ delightful piece of kit ]

...........     Phishing, for how to get to count rivets, if ever there was!!!!!!.....        😜   🤣

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I have an adjustable spanner that has marks in imperial measurements.

B*ggered if I can get it to fit a 13mm nut......................

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Surely one doesn't need any kind of actual measuring device? The true rivet counter KNOWS that the model is wrong, even if they've never actually seen the real thing...

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

I have an adjustable spanner that has marks in imperial measurements.

B*ggered if I can get it to fit a 13mm nut......................

Set it to 1/2". The number of times I've used 13mm and 1/2" spanners interchangeably! Also 3/8" and 10mm. Usually while having to undo a nut and bolt on an old car, and finding both ends are the same size, but you only have one of each spanner, and there's no room to get an adjustable or a socket in there...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Surely one doesn't need any kind of actual measuring device? The true rivet counter KNOWS that the model is wrong, even if they've never actually seen the real thing...

Set it to 1/2". The number of times I've used 13mm and 1/2" spanners interchangeably! Also 3/8" and 10mm. Usually while having to undo a nut and bolt on an old car, and finding both ends are the same size, but you only have one of each spanner, and there's no room to get an adjustable or a socket in there...

Actually - I turned it over to find it was marked in mm on the other side.......

• Funny 5