The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
Just now, melmerby said:

These high winds really worry me.

I'm really concerned about the caravan in the front garden...............

..............Considering it wasn't there last night:D

Its amazing what turns up....

With the last one, just after Christmas, there was a crop of hardy perennial garden trampolines all over the place!

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

122mph at the Needles

90mph South Wales

Just an normal winter storm?

Normal depends on where you are and whats being reported.

If those are constant windspeeds, then yes, its a stronger storm than normal.  If they're gusts, then they're a strong topping to a normal heavy blow.  Its more or less an Atlantic westerly, blowing into the Channel and up the Severn Estuary so its being concentrated a bit.  It would be interesting to see what the Needles experiences in "normal" force 10 or 11 winds.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

90mph and overturned lorries closing the M4 at Margam, not exactly the last place on earth you'd expect overturned lorries in a crosswind on particularly expsosed section of motorway with nothing in a straight line soutwest of it until you get to Brasil.  122mph at the Needles is properly unusual, though, and it looks as if the most violent part of the storm has tracked along the south coast (this happened in 1987 as well) rather than up the Bristol Channel as forecast.  Here in Cardiff the wind is still making a lot of noise and the trees are pretty animated, but it's tailing off over time (just as well as Johnster has to brave the elephants shortly for a repeat prescription he shoulda picked up yesterday).

In '87 I was blown my 17stone mass was blown to a standstill and I was unable to make progress for several minutes on a zebra crossing by what I reckoned was a 90mph wind, and a woman just behind me was picked up and deposited in the doorway of a building about 40 feet away, shaken up but not seriously hurt fortunately.  An aircraft at Cardiff Airport was blown upside down.

It is quite rare for the M4 'Prince of Wales' bridge to be closed, but it is today, along with the M48 'old' Severn Bridge, though that bridge is closed several times a year, and is 'interesting' even in ordinary strong winds.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

along with the M48 'old' Severn Bridge, though that bridge is closed several times a year, and is 'interesting' even in ordinary strong winds.

At least bridge design has progressed since "Gallopin' Gertie"!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Article from one off today's papers ,

Who writes an intro like this , a 5 year old ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man dies after being killed by falling tree in Storm Eunice’s 122mph winds.

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Article from one off today's papers ,

Who writes an intro like this , a 5 year old ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man dies after being killed by falling tree in Storm Eunice’s 122mph winds.

Yesterday I couldn't even spell journalist, today I are one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Titan said:

Wind is picking up still in the Midlands, anything not tied down will not be where you left it.

Not in Worcestershire.

The peak was between 11:00 & 11:15 and both average and gust has been dropping ever since.

Wind has veered around from NE-E-SE-S-SW-W during today and is now trending NW.

Lowest pressure (976.7) was at 11:25, now up to 994.1, a pretty steep rise.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

For about 3 hours there was a trend on social media that the Queen was dead. A Hollywood blogger claimed a world exclusive (apparently knowing better than any other media source) and doubled down on it when called out.

FMQlueoUUAAGvlX.jpg.30d7061dfdf3039eadeff73b7b7ea6f0.jpg

Also happened a few years ago when a BBC India reporter seen a rehearsal and Tweeted it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33432647

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2022 at 05:01, kevinlms said:

There was a baby born in the UK at exactly that time as well as twins on the same day in the same hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-60493643