The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, brossard said:

A while ago someone parked 6" from my drivers door.  I am fat TBF and trying to gain ingress from the passenger side was a non starter.  The gear lever in the console might well have done me a mischief.

I sighed and went into the mall to get some food.  When I came out the bu**er had gone.

John

Result!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Uber driver / "LPD"

Plenty of states now where that wouldn't matter.

Legal for recreational use in 18 states.

Legal for medical use in an additional 18 states.

Decriminalized in 3 more states and 9 of the medical use states.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Just watching the Inspiration4 splashdown and recovery. The youtube comments make hilarious reading. (IMO)

This is one of the best/funniest quotes:

Neil Armstrong was the first human to became an alien. Neil A spelled backwards is AlieN. This mission is to prepare for millions of humans become aliens on the moon, Mars and beyond

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Plenty of states now where that wouldn't matter.

Legal for recreational use in 18 states.

Legal for medical use in an additional 18 states.

Decriminalized in 3 more states and 9 of the medical use states.

So what is the rule regarding smoking it and driving motor vehicles?

It's quite a different thing to being legally allowed to smoke and driving. Which is the same as you can drink, but not drive, if beyond certain limits, depending on local laws.

4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So what is the rule regarding smoking it and driving motor vehicles?

It's quite a different thing to being legally allowed to smoke and driving. Which is the same as you can drink, but not drive, if beyond certain limits, depending on local laws.

Recreational pot use is legal in Canada across all provinces, territories and Federally too.

Driving while under the influence of booze and/or pot is a pretty serious thing.  Not sure if they have a field test for pot though.  A profusion of chip bags might be a give away.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Driving under the influence of intoxicants is of course illegal.

Impaired driving could be the result of prescription medications too.

Obviously so, but what is the enforcement like, presumably because it's legal for personal use, more people are smoking it?

I know they do drug testing on Australian drivers and drivers get caught sometimes, if it's 2 days since they last smoked.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Quite a lot of years ago I had a mate who got stoned and tried to drive home. He was approached by the police who immediately smelt the pot, took him to the station and charged him.

I say "approached"rather than "stopped"because he had stopped.

At a set of traffic lights.

He had been sitting there fascinated as they changed.

He had been sitting there fascinated for three hours.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CameronL said:

Quite a lot of years ago I had a mate who got stoned and tried to drive home. He was approached by the police who immediately smelt the pot, took him to the station and charged him.

I say "approached"rather than "stopped"because he had stopped.

At a set of traffic lights.

He had been sitting there fascinated as they changed.

He had been sitting there fascinated for three hours.

For that we need the dislike button back, because one thing is for sure, that behaviour is NOT funny! They are a hazard on the roads. No different to drunks.

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

For that we need the dislike button back

Personally I'm not in favour of introducing one-click negativity into the forum. All the options we have at the moment are positive ones - even the sadly missed "Groan" button was removed for inappropriate use. I hate to think what misuse a "dislike" button would engender. I think RMWeb is wonderful for its supportiveness and positivity.

Or on the other hand, why stop at "dislike"? How about "disagree", "don't understand" and "rubbish"?

Wouldn't want any of them myself. Not even a "get a life" button.

Who agrees?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Obviously so, but what is the enforcement like, presumably because it's legal for personal use, more people are smoking it?

The way impaired driving stops have always been done - by observation. Followed by a traffic stop and a roadside sobriety test.

Followed if necessary a drug test at the police station. Many places give drivers the option for a blood test instead of a breathalyzer in the case of suspected drunk driving, so it's not really different.

Probable cause is essential with the presumption of innocence. There are of course issues with policing where profiling leads to stops and extra-legal searches that can escalate into tragic situations.

I don't believe that random breath testing (as practiced in Australia) is done anywhere in the US.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The way impaired driving stops have always been done - by observation. Followed by a traffic stop and a roadside sobriety test.

Followed if necessary a drug test at the police station. Many places give drivers the option for a blood test instead of a breathalyzer in the case of suspected drunk driving, so it's not really different.

Probable cause is essential with the presumption of innocence. There are of course issues with policing where profiling leads to stops and extra-legal searches that can escalate into tragic situations.

I don't believe that random breath testing (as practiced in Australia) is done anywhere in the US.

We also do random drug testing in Australia. They can be done at mobile booze buses, or indeed patrol cars.

High tech vehicles.

https://cobaltdesign.co/portfolio/victoria-police-booze-bus/

What they test for.

https://sherlawyers.com.au/everything-you-need-to-know-roadside-drug-testing-vic/