The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2021 at 09:28, CameronL said:

Really, the BBC traffic department needs to get its act together.

Traffic news on text over the weekend (again Cumbria)

The A66 was closed for resurfacing between Cockermouth roundabout & Embleton turn (about 5 miles)

The diversion route on the text was (travelling from Cockermouth direction): up the A595 towards Carlisle, around the Carlisle Northwestern Bypass to M6 J44, down the M6 to J40 and West back along the A66.

Total distance all the way round about 70 miles.

Why not Just A595, then down the A591 toward Keswick? Or if you just wanted Embleton go via the old road (pre Cockermouth bypass)?

Total madness:(

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in the 90s, listening to R4 on headphones at work, traffic report 'Argyll and Sutherland police report that there are termporary traffic lights because of road works on the A832 between Kinlochewe and Torridon.  They are aware that there is virtually no traffic whatsoever on this road but wanted to get a mention on national radio'...!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The A66 was closed for resurfacing between Cockermouth roundabout & Embleton turn (about 5 miles)

The diversion route on the text was (travelling from Cockermouth direction): up the A595 towards Carlisle, around the Carlisle Northwestern Bypass to M6 J44, down the M6 to J40 and West back along the A66.

Why not Just A595, then down the A591 toward Keswick? Or if you just wanted Embleton go via the old road (pre Cockermouth bypass)?

Is this like our local authorities diversionary routes that have to be able to convey vehicles of all sizes, even when they are for work on bridges that are limited to 7.5T and have no bus routes passing over them anyway?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Is this like our local authorities diversionary routes that have to be able to convey vehicles of all sizes, even when they are for work on bridges that are limited to 7.5T and have no bus routes passing over them anyway?

The A591 from the A595 at Bothel to the A66 just outside Keswick does not have a weight restriction, it has double deck buses on it and is a designated diversionary route.

So unless there were also road works on that stretch of road there is no reason not to use it, it was also over a weekend when the traffic is lighter.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

It has to be said, I'm not sure that Persil have thought this one through. I'd have worded it differently, or at least put a much larger space between "use" and "less"...

image.png.a726c2de37aba987024d48ac8210d3fe.png

Wasn't that the stuff that actually dissolved clothes?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

It has to be said, I'm not sure that Persil have thought this one through. I'd have worded it differently, or at least put a much larger space between "use" and "less"...

The dosage needs to be experimented with regardless of the instructions, because it depends enormously on the local water quality.

But many people will use the same amount anyway, even if concentrated, because they don't want to risk 'dirty clothes'.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Back in the 90s, listening to R4 on headphones at work, traffic report 'Argyll and Sutherland police report that there are termporary traffic lights because of road works on the A832 between Kinlochewe and Torridon.  They are aware that there is virtually no traffic whatsoever on this road but wanted to get a mention on national radio'...!

I remember many years ago a road was absolutely closed in the Highlands while they did something major to it... There was only one alternative route of well over 130Miles.

Meanwhile I  have diversion signs outside my house... They encourage you to go down a tarmac'd single tracked road... That's officially a green lane!!!! 

Mind you the road they are digging up is also a green lane.. Comprising of sand, it's behind the sand dunes, There ae however half a dozen houses on it  and a small holiday caravan site. (six mobile homes).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

I hope not otherwise my colleagues are in for some pretty interesting video calls later :o :)

I've a friend who used to work for Unilever R&D.  There was a Persil product that dissolved clothes a "few" years ago and was promptly recalled.  I'll have to ask them what/when it was.  Its just that it was supposed to be a formulation that required less product for a cleaning effect...

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

We quite regularly get outraged articles in the local paper about some official diversion that's umpteen miles long for a short closure - but it's usually the case though that it's only a problem if you're going from one end of the actual closure to the other - at which point you're probably local and know the back roads. Anyone going along the full length of the road should see the signs at the beginning and take the diversion from there instead, rather than going up the the point of closure, turning round, backtracking etc.

40 minutes ago, Nick C said:

We quite regularly get outraged articles in the local paper about some official diversion that's umpteen miles long for a short closure - but it's usually the case though that it's only a problem if you're going from one end of the actual closure to the other - at which point you're probably local and know the back roads. Anyone going along the full length of the road should see the signs at the beginning and take the diversion from there instead, rather than going up the the point of closure, turning round, backtracking etc.

I had a pretty dire experience last night,  A section of dual carriageway had just been closed for overnight works - must have got there just minutes after the barriers went up.  First I knew/remembered was when I came round the roundabout and found the exit closed.  I had entered from the East and wanted to go North.  There were no other exits on the roundabout in a Northern direction, I could just go south or back the way I came.  The diversion was appallingly signed, there was one labelled for HGV's which would have taken them West to the southbound M1, where they would have had to continue to the next junction and then turned back on themselves, but the diversion for smaller vehicles was not signed off the roundabout.  Unfortunately the sat nav was not much help as it did not know the road was closed.   Managed to eventually work out which exit to take,  and sure enough at the next junction there was a diversion sign.  Unfortunately at the next junction after that this road was also closed, and had its own diversion!  Problem now would be that this second diversion would take me to the other end of that road, rather than where I wanted to go as there was no distinction between the two diversions!  Luckily I was now sufficiently far away from the other closed road that the sat nav had chosen an alternative route rather than badgering me to do a U-turn, which meant taking a right at the next junction rather than following the diversion sign for the second diversion....

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Titan said:

I had a pretty dire experience last night,  A section of dual carriageway had just been closed for overnight works - must have got there just minutes after the barriers went up.  First I knew/remembered was when I came round the roundabout and found the exit closed.  I had entered from the East and wanted to go North.  There were no other exits on the roundabout in a Northern direction, I could just go south or back the way I came.  The diversion was appallingly signed, there was one labelled for HGV's which would have taken them West to the southbound M1, where they would have had to continue to the next junction and then turned back on themselves, but the diversion for smaller vehicles was not signed off the roundabout.  Unfortunately the sat nav was not much help as it did not know the road was closed.   Managed to eventually work out which exit to take,  and sure enough at the next junction there was a diversion sign.  Unfortunately at the next junction after that this road was also closed, and had its own diversion!  Problem now would be that this second diversion would take me to the other end of that road, rather than where I wanted to go as there was no distinction between the two diversions!  Luckily I was now sufficiently far away from the other closed road that the sat nav had chosen an alternative route rather than badgering me to do a U-turn, which meant taking a right at the next junction rather than following the diversion sign for the second diversion....

I had a similar one a few years ago, coming down the M3 late at night - they'd closed the M3 between two junctions, and the A30 between the following two, meaning you effectively had to zigzag between the two..

23 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

Or very clever marketing. Everyone will have had a laugh at their expense but everyone will have got the message that they need less Persil to wash their clothes.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The whole road diversion thing, should be MUCH easier these days. Here down under, extensive use is made of large trailer mounted LED signs, when required, often days in advance, of road works etc.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The whole road diversion thing, should be MUCH easier these days. Here down under, extensive use is made of large trailer mounted LED signs, when required, often days in advance, of road works etc.

One of the problems we have here is our usual lack of joined-up thinking - Motorways and Trunk roads are the responsibility of Highways England, while all the other roads are the responsibility of the local council's highways department. They rarely seem to talk to each other (nor, indeed, to Network Rail)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1