The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many bikes are stolen from there...

It's a repair station, which appears to have tools available, secured by steel cables. It is unlikely that anyone will nick your bike while you are changing a tyre or adjusting the gear. Perhaps you Sydney types are too suspicious of Brisbane folks.

Edited by phil_sutters

I believe the English translation is somewhat different...

Yes, the words "love" and "punt" come to mind, however that is the stuff brewed for the UK market in the EU (somewhere), never had the pleasure of tasting the original brew.  If Stella Artois is anything to go by it is probably better, the Belgian original Stella is far superior to the imitation that is brewed in South Wales.

Jim

Yes, the words "love" and "punt" come to mind, however that is the stuff brewed for the UK market in the EU (somewhere), never had the pleasure of tasting the original brew.  If Stella Artois is anything to go by it is probably better, the Belgian original Stella is far superior to the imitation that is brewed in South Wales.

Jim

Many years ago I at a friends party and drinking bottled Stella Artois brewed in Belgium and was so impressed that I went out and bought some and was really disappointed and then read the words brewed in the UK under licence! Never More!

• RMweb Premium

Most of the Continental beers are now brewed in the UK.

A particular favourite of mine was Beck's which used to have "Imported from Germany" on the neck.

I drank one a while back and it was shite, when I looked at the bottle is said "German Brewing Heritage". Obviously UK rubbish.

A lot have changed from "Brewed in (Country)" to "Brewed in the EU" to hide the move of production to the UK.

AB Inbev seem to be the worst. they started off as a decent brewery in Leuven (making Stella) but as they expanded/took over/merged they became nothing more than a factory beer producer at the lowest possible cost.

The final straw was the merger with AB, which added the ghastly Yank Bud to the mix!

I won't by any beer if it's country of origin is not specifically stated.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

There are a few genuine  (ore nearly genuine) reasonably priced lagers about, Lidl Perlenbacher Lager is genuine German brew, and Asda are currently selling a budget price lager called Feldschlosschen, despite the German sounding name this is brewed in France but according to the German purity law, it is actually quite good!

Jim

The Scotsman Newspaper yesterday was reporting on unique names being given to children in Scotland.  Boys with a unique name in 2017 included Amazon, Boston-Blu, Fox, Jaxn, Nimbus, Ransom, Sheriff and Tiger.

OK  - so who was the Deltic Fan that named his son after 55020!!

Jim

There are a few genuine  (ore nearly genuine) reasonably priced lagers about, Lidl Perlenbacher Lager is genuine German brew, and Asda are currently selling a budget price lager called Feldschlosschen, despite the German sounding name this is brewed in France but according to the German purity law, it is actually quite good!

Jim

Lidl Pelenbacher is produced in France

At least is not XXXX it's only called that as Queenslanders can't spell P1$$

Marc

If you lived in Queensland you wouldn't give a XXXX what you drank either ;).

And no, Australian Fosters isn't any better than the UK variety. If anything it's worse because at least British punters demand a sufficient alcohol content to make you drunk, at which point anything becomes palatable, whereas the ability to intoxicate is specifically discouraged in Australian beverages these days.

And continuing on the subject of the desirability of various concoctions, I'm always amused by those who point at the Romans' cultivation of grapes and olives in Britain as evidence of a formerly more clement climate. Personally I've always taken it as evidence that any sensible Roman, posted to the edge of the known world, where the rain is perpetually horizontal and the locals are dangerously lunatic savages, would attempt to cultivate pretty much anything that might be persuaded to yield remotely drinkable alcohol, or vaguely flavoursome oil in which to fry one's  turnips :D.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 3