The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

It would be interesting to know when Electricity arrived out in the wilds of  Norfolk where I am, I know it was before mains water, because there are the remains of the fittings for an electric water pump in the well.

• RMweb Premium

I spotted this while trawling for some info

Even those with a basic knowledge of electronics will be scratching their heads. :scratchhead:

(On how to determine a colour coded diode type)

Consult a diode color code chart and familiarize yourself with the coding system. The values of the chart are 0 for black, 1 for brown, 2 for red, 3 for orange, 4 for yellow, 5 for green, 6 for blue, 7 for violet, 8 for gray and 9 for white.

Jot the number values down, moving from left to right, for the first two bands.

Determine the tolerance rating for the diode by examining the third band. The tolerance rating is the number of zeroes that are in the total value of the diode. For example, a diode marked with the colors yellow, orange, red would be equal to 4,300 Ohms.

The mind boggles especially as the author has published several works on electronics!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I spotted this while trawling for some info

Even those with a basic knowledge of electronics will be scratching their heads. :scratchhead:

(On how to determine a colour coded diode type)

Consult a diode color code chart and familiarize yourself with the coding system. The values of the chart are 0 for black, 1 for brown, 2 for red, 3 for orange, 4 for yellow, 5 for green, 6 for blue, 7 for violet, 8 for gray and 9 for white.

Jot the number values down, moving from left to right, for the first two bands.

Determine the tolerance rating for the diode by examining the third band. The tolerance rating is the number of zeroes that are in the total value of the diode. For example, a diode marked with the colors yellow, orange, red would be equal to 4,300 Ohms.

The mind boggles especially as the author has published several works on electronics!

Keith

Er.....er.......er......

Do they also tell you how to identify the anode and cathode on a resistor?

(And everything else aside, in the resistor colour code the third (tolerance?!?) band isn't even necessarily the number of zeros in the total value, e.g. yellow orange red (4300 Ohms) does indeed have two zeros, but 1000 Ohms is brown black red not black brown orange).

• RMweb Premium

If offended by non-PC stuff, then look away now.

When I was at college many years ago doing electrical and electronic stuff, a resistor was an unwilling female....................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

You can actually get 6 colours:

http://www.resistorguide.com/pictures/resistor_color_codes_chart.png

Most of the resistors in my stock are 1% as that is pretty well normal if you buy metal film resistors, although common values and just 4 rings

I also have some 5 & 6 ringed ones. e.g. red, red, black, red, brown, red = 22k ohms, 1% tolerance,  0.1% fail rate.(or is it 50ppm temp co-eff?)

Keith

EDIT 1% 0.6W metal film are 3-4p each, in packs of 10. (less if you buy 100!)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been exhibiting my layout at Chapel-en-le-Frith today (and tomorrow). A family come over and look at it, 55015 is running. The child, aged probably 3 or 4, smiles and shouts ‘deltic’. Mother scowls and tells me ‘he learnt to say deltic before mummy’.

• Like 9