The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

One guy i Knew ordered a couple of hundred valves for a Aircraft simulator (yes it was a long time ago) accidentally got the wrong part number and a lorry load of Very large, Very expensive TV type Display tubes turned up.

That's the problem when everything is a CV...

There was no hint at what type of thermionic device it was without a cross reference.

Keith

I love the the fact that he has in green calming letters on the screen "Don't panic "

I wonder if the driver has a towel?

In great respect for Douglas Adams and the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

• RMweb Gold

I love the the fact that he has in green calming letters on the screen "Don't panic "

I wonder if the driver has a towel?

In great respect for Douglas Adams and the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

In the glove box there is a copy of hitchhikers and a towel.

• Like 5

Only people of a certain demographic will get this.

Or those that watch BBC News?

My initial reaction was "what a waste of money" My next was, "for  someone who claims to be interest in the planet's future, what a lot of pollution for no benefit (other than the free PR)". Then I started to wonder if the car had been tested for such low temperatures and pressures (even allowing for leaving out the batteries, A/C system, etc.).

All in all, it just comes down to a publicity stunt, for the entertainment of those who have just spent £1K on a new iPhone X.

Actually, it's even more simple then that: this was an inaugural test of a new type of rocket, so you're not gonna put a billion-dollar payload on top of it. You put something in it that, should something go astray, has little financial impact on the project, so what else that some clever free promo for your other project? :yes:

I can think of some billion dollar payloads that they could have put on it. The cast of TOWIE, a US President, the Apple Corporation, Facebook, all the heroin and cocaine in the world, etc.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I can think of some billion dollar payloads that they could have put on it. The cast of TOWIE, a US President, the Apple Corporation, Facebook, all the heroin and cocaine in the world, etc.

What would any alien make of that lot? No wonder they stay away, if they catch any radio/TV signal beaming out across the universe of the last 70 years!

Jol, why am I thinking of hairdressers, marketing people and telephone sanitisers? ;)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

My initial reaction was "what a waste of money" My next was, "for  someone who claims to be interest in the planet's future, what a lot of pollution for no benefit (other than the free PR)". Then I started to wonder if the car had been tested for such low temperatures and pressures (even allowing for leaving out the batteries, A/C system, etc.).

All in all, it just comes down to a publicity stunt, for the entertainment of those who have just spent £1K on a new iPhone X.

Jol, I'm not sure what your pollution reference refers to unless you mean that humans should not pursue space flight due to pollution concerns with rocketry.

The choice of payload for the Falcon Heavy test was literally a 'throwaway'. It needed to be something of reasonable mass and could have literally been anything. SpaceX was very concerned that the Falcon Heavy test launch would be a disaster. Only a couple of weeks ago a very classified payload failed to reach orbit after an otherwise flawless Falcon launch, so they were pretty sensitized to losing a very expensive payload.

The choice SpaceX made here, using a Tesla from Musk's personal collection along with the homages to David Bowie and Douglas Adams is, I think, deeply endearing to those of us (which I suspect is many of us here) for whom the "space age" was a big part of our lives. Using the Tesla made for good publicity but why not? The Falcon Heavy test needed something, why not make it fun?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

The choice of payload for the Falcon Heavy test was literally a 'throwaway'. It needed to be something of reasonable mass and could have literally been anything. SpaceX was very concerned that the Falcon Heavy test launch would be a disaster. Only a couple of weeks ago a very classified payload failed to reach orbit after an otherwise flawless Falcon launch, so they were pretty sensitized to losing a very expensive payload.

And they wanted the silliest thing they could think of as the payload. The homages to Bowie and Adams were really nice. As well as a the words DON'T PANIC it carried a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a towel and a copy of Asimov's Foundation series on optical disc. The original manufacturing plate has been replaced by one saying "Made on Earth by humans".

The reference to the "certain demographic" was about the music in that particular video. The original live video was looping Life on Mars and Space Oddity.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1