The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Yes.

This is a form of protest. I note that the article says:

... The restrictions mean clinics providing abortions are few and far between. According to the Texas Tribune, there were 19 abortion clinics in June 2016, the vast majority of them concentrated in urban areas.

In the interests of not discussing politics here, I will leave my comment at that.

Texas is about five times the area of England with half the population.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Trying yesterday evening to explain to a group of girls in the 10-12 age band, how a full and enjoyable social life was possible in the stone age. That would be before 'everyone' had a mobile phone you understand. My greying beard and lack of mobile phone, combined to convince them all of my troglodyte status.

It did provoke the thought that we might might benefit from a national 'mobiles disabled' day, on which the only numbers that would function would be exclusively for emergency and essential services use.

It did provoke the thought that we might might benefit from a national 'mobiles disabled' day, on which the only numbers that would function would be exclusively for emergency and essential services use.

Facebook, Twitter, eBay...........

• RMweb Gold

After that, how would you start the world turning again?

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Trying yesterday evening to explain to a group of girls in the 10-12 age band, how a full and enjoyable social life was possible in the stone age. That would be before 'everyone' had a mobile phone you understand. My greying beard and lack of mobile phone, combined to convince them all of my troglodyte status.

You did add that our generation, realised that they was no portable means of communication, so went out & invented the internet?

• RMweb Premium

You did add that our generation, realised that they was no portable means of communication, so went out & invented the internet?

and our grand parents the Wireless, their parents the telephone, their parents telegraphy,   I wonder whats next?

Beam me up Scotty...

Edited by TheQ

and our grand parents the Wireless, their parents the telephone, their parents telegraphy,   I wonder whats next?

I'm sure the Admiralty was very proud of their semaphore telegraph at the turn of the 19th century.

Immediately next is more pervasive, interactive AI systems beyond talking to your 'phone or a base station at home. Something more like the Star Trek computer. (Teleportation still seems a bit tricky, but we've almost built the food replicator.)

The unintended consequences of such devices are already apparent. There is a case being prosecuted where Amazon Echo recordings are being considered as evidence.

In a similar vein, there was much mirth recently over the suggestion that microwave ovens may be used in surveillance. The details of this suggestion are political in nature so I'll skip the specific reference

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the Admiralty was very proud of their semaphore telegraph at the turn of the 19th century.

Immediately next is more pervasive, interactive AI systems beyond talking to your 'phone or a base station at home. Something more like the Star Trek computer. (Teleportation still seems a bit tricky, but we've almost built the food replicator.)

The unintended consequences of such devices are already apparent. There is a case being prosecuted where Amazon Echo recordings are being considered as evidence.

In a similar vein, there was much mirth recently over the suggestion that microwave ovens may be used in surveillance. The details of this suggestion are political in nature so I'll skip the specific reference

We are being told that all sorts of devices such as tv sets, cookers and what have you could be hacked and used in blackmail or other  criminal activities such as spying on us in our own homes.

The simple bit that seems to be missed out is that is that if they are not connected to the 'net or don't have any other means of outward communication the only way you can hack them is with a screwdriver and the necessary kit to download their internal memory - assuming they've got one in the first place.  Simple answer to a near non-existent question - if you don't want it 'hacked' or read then don't have it connected to the 'net or have some sort of live external communication fit.

And quite why anybody would want know what has been heated in our microwave today, or any other day, is totally beyond me.

• RMweb Premium

We are being told that all sorts of devices such as tv sets, cookers and what have you could be hacked and used in blackmail or other  criminal activities such as spying on us in our own homes.

The simple bit that seems to be missed out is that is that if they are not connected to the 'net or don't have any other means of outward communication the only way you can hack them is with a screwdriver and the necessary kit to download their internal memory - assuming they've got one in the first place.  Simple answer to a near non-existent question - if you don't want it 'hacked' or read then don't have it connected to the 'net or have some sort of live external communication fit.

And quite why anybody would want know what has been heated in our microwave today, or any other day, is totally beyond me.

Or more importantly, why would you want to connect it to the outside world in the first place? I do find we are living in an age where technology for the sake of it seems to be taking over.

I'm still getting used to coloured light signals at the end of the levers...

Andy G

There was a particular model of Samsung Smart TV that for a couple of years was specifically vulnerable to hacking and could be used to monitor people watching TV.

It's hard to imagine the value of a 'connected cooker'.