The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I had to be in the bank this morning, and while there 'someone' dropped something very heavy in the adjacent retail unit which is having a refit, A significant thud, floor shook a little, some dust came down from the suspended ceiling; no shouting or fire alarm so hopefully no one hurt.

And then I became aware that my right leg was encumbered. I had grown a firmly attached small child. On looking down a little face was looking up, so I said "Hello". Got a most accusing look accompanied by the reply "You're not my Daddy.".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Heybridge Basin is getting new gates for its sea lock. We went there yesterday. This is the public information board:

attachicon.gif2017-03-10 11.58.jpg

- Richard.

I'll have to take a trip down in the summer. I used to sail from there many years ago and spent a little time in the Old Ship, before they refurbished it. It was a real "public house". Three rooms, one with the bar, and a kitchen. The gents were in a unlit brick outhouse. Run by Mick and Dob Green - she never would tell us what her forename really was - she would provide wonderful breakfasts before we went sailing. George the Lock Master was also quite a character.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to take a trip down in the summer. I used to sail from there many years ago and spent a little time in the Old Ship, before they refurbished it. It was a real "public house". Three rooms, one with the bar, and a kitchen. The gents were in a unlit brick outhouse. Run by Mick and Dob Green - she never would tell us what her forename really was - she would provide wonderful breakfasts before we went sailing. George the Lock Master was also quite a character.

It's a nice project to see from an engineering point of view because the new gates are very much one-offs, made to fit the location. The Naviagation is closed off with sheet piling from side to side, and one set of new gates is now in place.

It would be worth a visit for anyone reasonably local who fancies a model of a lock under renovation, you can see what it looks like inside and on the bottom. Link to Google map / satellite view. The first new gates have replaced the ones fully open in the Google imagery. There are pleasant walks along the sea wall here too.

Richard.

• Like 3

At first l thought, "Oh, good, a Thomas the Tank video, then........."

https://www.facebook.com/capitalxtra/videos/10155042735766585/

I do like the way they've synchronized the con rod movement though................................

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Premium

Interesting design of traffic signal there. I wonder if it's one of the old metal "tin lantern" designs?

Not too clear in my photo, but in case there is doubt the traffic signal is for boats entering the lock. I'll try for a better pic next visit.

Richard.