The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

'Boys', he said, 'I am happy to report that I was approached yesterday by a 6th form girl'. 

Reminds me of our English Literature teacher. He was also, officially, the school's cricket coach. Not that he ever provided any useful cricket coaching that I can recall, even when we were in the school cricket team, visiting other schools in Devon and loosing every match. Years later, we learnt that his mind may have been elsewhere, as he was also (highly unofficially) providing very personal and very private tuition of an intimate kind to some of the (cough) more mature and (cough) athletic 6th form girls.

I've also got a vague memory of a Mrs Barker from Paignton being the school's tennis coach. It was only later we realised she was Sue Barker's mum.

But let it not be said our school was not ahead of its time in diversity and equality, c.1965, even if we didn't realise it at the time. In hindsight, our English Language teacher was openly batting for the other side, with a funny mincing way of walking. He was also a great admirer of the Performing Arts, as he often had young male friends visiting from London Theatres. He was clearly a kind benevolent person, as he would spend class time telling us about how they often stayed with him, to save them rent, and what wonderful dancers they were. At the time, completely naive as we were, we just thought it odd that all the luvvie friends he mentioned were male and never female.

But for me, personally, I can now confess that the presence of so many girls was something of a tragedy.  It's only many decades later I can now summon the courage to admit that I was so distracted by them. For many years I completely failed to pay enough attention to all the trains that passed through Dawlish and Teignmouth stations, even while we were travelling on them. There, I've finally admitted it, I was a failed train spotter. Please do not judge me too harshly.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Friendly/supportive 2