The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'll let you know after the full moon tomorrow night...

Oooooowwww!

I have heard it alleged (allegedly) that not a lot of people know that "Werewolfs of Llandudno" was Warren Zevon's original version of "Werewolfs of London". Written after a strange encounter on the Creuddyn Peninsula while his band was touring Wales, and got lost, one dark and stormy night. (Insert thunder and lightening here)

Some say the Werewolfs of Llandudno were secretly recruited by the GWR to guard top-secret clandestine night-time movements of freight from the Great Orme to The Mint in Cardiff, and then on to the Bank Of England in London. All done while all good god-fearing folk were asleep in their beds.

Nothing ever to be revealed to the general public, for fear of alarming them. Except for what might happen if some of these night-time travellers slipped their leash ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolute rubbish; the Mint is in Llantrisant (the hole with the mint in), not Cardiff.  The rest is true, of course.

The scene purporting to be on the North Yorkshire Moors at the beginning of 'An American Werewolf in London' (Jenny Agutter, stop that Johnster you'll go blind) was in fact shot on the Gospel Pass road between Hay-on-Wye and Llanthony, very much in Wales.  The 'Slaughtered Lamb', the pub in the film, is one of the pubs in Hay.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

GWR in Llandudno? Is G the Welsh equivalent of LN ?

do you not know about brunels secret tunnels under the great orme? They extend all the way to the south wales valleys and link up with the mines! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

do you not know about brunels secret tunnels under the great orme? They extend all the way to the south wales valleys and link up with the mines! 

Brunel did little more than linkup the extensive Welsh tunnel systems that predated him, some thousands of years old.  It took until the opening of the Severn Tunnel in 1879 (it's service tunnels connected to the Welsh network at Caerwent, later developed as a purported US nuclear armaments facility to preverve the secrecy) for the Welsh system to be connected to Brunel's other tunnel network beneath the Mendips, accessed from the eastern end of Box Tunnel.  Of course he also developed the atmospheric railway; the South Devon was merely a proof of concept and the real purpose was to use atmospheric traction (with no exhaust output) in the tunnels to replace Fowler's Ghost.

Stephenson, meanwhile, unaware of the underground activity, started building tunnels in the sky, at Conway and the Britannia Bridge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big jim said:

And from there straight under the Severn all the way to the Box Tunnels and the Strategic Steam Reserve. It's amazing how they kept it secret for so long!

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Brunel did little more than linkup the extensive Welsh tunnel systems that predated him, some thousands of years old.

I'm hoping the statute of limitations has passed and expired, and you can now reveal why the Romans were digging standard gauge tunnels in that part of Wales.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'm hoping the statute of limitations has passed and expired, and you can now reveal why the Romans were digging standard gauge tunnels in that part of Wales.

Well Broad Gauge would have been useless. Can't have horses tripping over a 3rd rail!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Well Broad Gauge would have been useless. Can't have horses tripping over a 3rd rail!

I thought it was because they couldn't find a horse with a 7 foot wide backside.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought it was because they couldn't find a horse with a 7 foot wide backside.

I don't know about the Romans, but I worked with a few.

Oh, wait a minute..........................................

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

For the chariots, of course! 😉

Referencing the Maginogion story of 'The Dream of Maxen', I have this mental vision of Maximus and Elyn returning to Rome over the mountains on rough tracks of the 'Sarn Helen' (which is still a bit gnarly in places) in the Welsh rain; 'Uffern Dan, Max, it's a bit rough, innit like, bloody 'ell', 'Don't-a worry, Cara Mia, once-a your hosts have a-installed-a mea as-a Imperator Maximus, I make-a all-a da roads a-straight-a!'.  Even now, the A470 is not entirely straight or even straight-ish...

The Romans did manage to make the Trawfynydd road pretty straight, though, no mean achievement in that part of the world!

• Like 3