The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2024 at 20:34, Dagworth said:

As a rigger I don’t have a suitable button to click for this one! 

Andi

I have had the pleasure of working with someone who spent a week on a crane course, including the basics of lifting and slinging. On his first lifting job after the course, he nearly damaged a set of strops and a £30k piece of equipment by making a complete hash of setting it all up. Someone could've done a better job blindfolded!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

kinda funny little coincidence this week. On Saturday i walked up Huntsworth Lane, Cleckheaton for a vehicle rally and then today walking my dog i see a central heating engineer's van in from that same lane in my neighbourhood in Wakefield

20240813-090001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Spam Can. Literally.

Screenshot_20240813-1902503.png.98de37af2b2c7dd7342b66402eac84c9.png

Oh, I WANT one!!!

Though it should really have a key on the smokebox, rather than a ringpull...

Edited by Hroth
extra!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

When you're Robert Welch and they build some permanent way under your cell to make you feel at home. 

20240808_123239.jpg.20d0a4a26a3ab549e23620ee90c70ccd.jpg

His was one with the green bars on the outside. 

Yeah, yeah. I know. They built it years later to help folk get an interview with Network Rail. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AndyB said:

When you're Robert Welch and they build some permanent way under your cell to make you feel at home. 

20240808_123239.jpg.20d0a4a26a3ab549e23620ee90c70ccd.jpg

His was one with the green bars on the outside. 

Yeah, yeah. I know. They built it years later to help folk get an interview with Network Rail. 

It should be referred to as Shrewsbury Gaol.

I didn't pay to much attention to the link, do they feature the condemned cell and the "Drop" in their tours?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Interesting mix of sleeper types.

Wary ones, mainly! 

Not a nice crowd inside. 

Just now, Hroth said:

It should be referred to as Shrewsbury Gaol.

I didn't pay to much attention to the link, do they feature the condemned cell and the "Drop" in their tours?

Yes.

Executioner's bedroom.

Condemned cell.

Execution room. 

Minimum time from condemned cell to drop 7 seconds. Maximum time 12 seconds.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.3a42dee0cd229bdf0983bffc82fd841e.png

I suspect that it is not duct tape but some type of metallic tape being used to smooth out the surface for better air flow.

• Like 5

A LATAM 787 from Rapa Nui to Santiago I was on earlier this year! With the interest in Boeings QC, it added another dimension to the flight experience 😬

I think it's actually to protect the carbon fiber from UV if the paint comes off.... which begs the question why is the paint coming off...

PXL_20240407_203923365.jpg.a6422e52c7b9dcfbfd48432e2cdb19ae.jpg

Edited by Grimly Feendish
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grimly Feendish said:

A LATAM 787 from Rapa Nui to Santiago I was on earlier this year! With the interest in Boeings QC, it added another dimension to the flight experience 😬

I think it's actually to protect the carbon fiber from UV if the paint comes off.... which begs the question why is the paint coming off...

PXL_20240407_203923365.jpg.a6422e52c7b9dcfbfd48432e2cdb19ae.jpg

They ran out of WD40?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Not your average mobility scooter.

image.png.16543614663f9814f7db34d53be27e3c.png

The rider is in the crumple zone.

Best place for him to be when it hits the wall at full chat!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 13/08/2024 at 03:25, 5944 said:

I have had the pleasure of working with someone who spent a week on a crane course, including the basics of lifting and slinging. On his first lifting job after the course, he nearly damaged a set of strops and a £30k piece of equipment by making a complete hash of setting it all up. Someone could've done a better job blindfolded!

I haven't experienced this, but I did work on a job where one of our riggers was even more phobic about heights than I am, which is quite an achievement. Mind you, we also had a boilermaker who couldn't weld, and a mechanical fitter who destroyed some very large and expensive whitemetal bearings by whaling on their working faces with a steel hammer, so we weren't exactly employing the cream of the crop 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Autumn of 1997, I was doing some preliminary archaeological work on the site of a large new shopping centre, during the top-down demolition of a 25-year old 14 storey office bock.  It was built with prefabricated wall sections on a frame, these were several tons each.  One slipped out of the crane slings and crashed to the ground below.  All the suit-and-white helmet brigade poured out of the office cabins and stood around looking vacant.  The Site manager, an Irish guy "off the tools" went straight over and fired all the riggers on the spot; as he told me, no matter who was responsible, he couldn't trust the team.  They had a new set next day.

• Like 8