The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Same as for ISBN, they are supposed to be for a particular title/edition, but smaller publishers have been known to 'reuse' some of their block of numbers (often were I believe sold in small quantities) for newer books, after their initial purchase had run out.

I found one of those. I bought a book on Abebooks from a bookshop who obviously used ISBN as a primary identifier. I thought I’d bought a book on a Canadian Interurban - what arrived was a cookery book. Both books had been published by the same firm and various sites showed them with the same ISBN. 

By a remarkable coincidence, at that time I occasionally played soccer on the same team as the owner of the publishing firm! He was very interested when I told him what had happened. However, before I heard what had happened as a result of him finding this out, he was injured in a game playing for another team, gave up soccer (we were in our 60s) and I never saw him again.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

I found one of those. I bought a book on Abebooks from a bookshop who obviously used ISBN as a primary identifier. I thought I’d bought a book on a Canadian Interurban - what arrived was a cookery book. Both books had been published by the same firm and various sites showed them with the same ISBN. 

By a remarkable coincidence, at that time I occasionally played soccer on the same team as the owner of the publishing firm! He was very interested when I told him what had happened. However, before I heard what had happened as a result of him finding this out, he was injured in a game playing for another team, gave up soccer (we were in our 60s) and I never saw him again.

It is possible on the other hand to find books with 2 (or more) ISBN and that's genuine! I have at least one.

I heard of someone, who claimed a particular book had 4 ISBN - I must say that I'm not convinced!

If a publisher goes broke and books are remaindered, they can be republished - which generally means a new dust jacket, with the new details (as per the rules), but the book inside for obvious reasons remains intact, with the original details. However, if the new dustcover is lost, you'll never know the new ISBN!

So sometimes an ISBN search may not find the book you want, but a search by title/author will.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, bimble said:

Civic responsibility done, there was a lovely dog at the polling station so worth going!  Made me smile 

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

One of the candidates?

Certainly a great improvement on what was previously available...

• Round of applause 2

19 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Well, something’s making me smile this morning! How long that smile persists remains to be seen…

Likewise until I found that our former MP as of yesterday has been promoted to the House of Lords. A great reward for doing a very average job.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Likewise until I found that our former MP as of yesterday has been promoted to the House of Lords. A great reward for doing a very average job.

Jobs for the boys (and girls), innit!

• Agree 2

On 24/06/2024 at 11:09, bimble said:

It's their next election pledge, not only are we going back to Imperial measurements but also pre-decimalisation coinage.  Pints, shillings and inches, that's what the country needs.  We got the blue passports back after all! 😂 

We could have had blue passports anytime we liked. What I remember about £sd was the old pennies that were worth bu**er all but were so heavy that you needed to reinforce your trouser pockets. OTOH the new(ish) two pound coins are very fine coins indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

We could have had blue passports anytime we liked. What I remember about £sd was the old pennies that were worth bu**er all but were so heavy that you needed to reinforce your trouser pockets. OTOH the new(ish) two pound coins are very fine coins indeed.

Bring back Ricketts, I say!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 97406 said:

Well, something’s making me smile this morning! How long that smile persists remains to be seen…

I don't find anything to smile about when an election has largely been decided by a disruptor, who shouldn't IMHO be anywhere near parliament.

• Agree 9

29 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I don't find anything to smile about when an election has largely been decided by a disruptor, who shouldn't IMHO be anywhere near parliament.

I think the outcome would have been similar even if he hadn't crawled out from under his rock!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I would say that the problem is not that he is a disruptor, but that he is the only disruptor. No one else seems to want to disturb the bland conformity of parliament and by extension the government. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Didn't Spike refer to such people as 'A.R. Slicker'?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

I think the outcome would have been similar even if he hadn't crawled out from under his rock!

8% drop in overall vote doesn't sound healthy. Many people were just fed up with present day politics.

One party doesn't increase it's vote share but gets more than 6x number of MPs but is only 4th in vote share

The winning party only increased it's vote by 2% but gets a thumping majority.

3rd place party on vote share only gets 4 seats.

This a case when first past the post gives a really freak result.☹️

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

8% drop in overall vote doesn't sound healthy. Many people were just fed up with present day politics.

One party doesn't increase it's vote share but gets more than 6x number of MPs but is only 4th in vote share

The winning party only increased it's vote by 2% but gets a thumping majority.

3rd place party on vote share only gets 4 seats.

This a case when first past the post gives a really freak result.☹️

FPTP means that the last government got in based on the say-so of 29% of the electorate. This includes those who didn’t vote, and the majority of the people I know who didn’t vote are fed up rather than apathetic. I heard one quote that the only other European country that uses it is Belarus! The only silver lining this time is that disruptive party got 4 seats as opposed to a larger share.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2