The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

What is funny about that??

I suspect that it's the "very old" lady with the guitar.....  'though why it's funny, rather relies on the amusement level experienced by seeing an out of place / date picture in with the others??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I suspect that it's the "very old" lady with the guitar.....  'though why it's funny, rather relies on the amusement level experienced by seeing an out of place / date picture in with the others??

Actually, it is the man in the middle that I keep looking back at; he reminds me very much of an acoustic disc recording artist from the mid-twenties on. William Hartley is his name so it is not the one that I thought of.

BTW:The picture is real, but with just one altered image:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_of_the_Titanic

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

Actually, it is the man in the middle that I keep looking back at; he reminds me very much of an acoustic disc recording artist from the mid-twenties on. William Hartley is his name so it is not the one that I thought of.

BTW:The picture is real, but with just one altered image:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_of_the_Titanic

The Eternal Performer. Sort of...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Rumours of my termination are not infrequent, perhaps more in hopeful anticipation that in actual fact.

The Lady is far too smooth skinned and pretty for that suggestion.....  even  more so for the earlier Kieth one.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

The Lady is far too smooth skinned and pretty for that suggestion.....  even  more so for the earlier Kieth one.....

I'm curious which one do you consider to be the Lady  ????

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, considering he was born in Dec, 1943, I really suspect that he was not sailing on the TITANIC.

Depends if you believe in reincarnation or not… Keith has been know to take other forms.

I have to say he’s looking rather good considering he hasn’t used things like Botox… unlike his brother Cliff 😀

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 97406 said:

841 is Spain and 871 is Holland

https://www.gs1.org/standards/id-keys/company-prefix

Yep.

I've been looking through some of the things around and they all tie in with the ones in that link.

e.g. Kadee is 076, Lenz is 404

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Yep.

I've been looking through some of the things around and they all tie in with the ones in that link.

e.g. Kadee is 076, Lenz is 404

8 hours ago, 97406 said:

841 is Spain and 871 is Holland

https://www.gs1.org/standards/id-keys/company-prefix

GS1 Codes are company codes, and do not always identify the country of origin of individual products, because multinational companies commonly have factories in multiple countries.

Only guessing, but I'd think that (e.g.) all BMW cars probably carry a German code, even the ones made in South Africa or the USA.

Offshoring has an effect, too; Hornby boxes carry barcodes beginning 501 because it's a UK company, whilst the contents are actually made in China. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

GS1 Codes are company codes, and do not always identify the country of origin of individual products, because multinational companies commonly have factories in multiple countries.

Only guessing, but I'd think that (e.g.) all BMW cars probably carry a German code, even the ones made in South Africa or the USA.

Offshoring has an effect, too; Hornby boxes carry barcodes beginning 501 because it's a UK company, whilst the product is actually made in China. 

These days the prefix will rarely match the CoO due to offshore manufacturing being so common.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Offshoring has an effect, too; Hornby boxes carry barcodes beginning 501 because it's a UK company, whilst the contents are actually made in China. 

In addition, a company will buy X number of barcodes and be given a prefix for those barcodes. When they run out they buy another Y number of barcodes with its own prefix.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 97406 said:

In addition, a company will buy X number of barcodes and be given a prefix for those barcodes. When they run out they buy another Y number of barcodes with its own prefix.

Same as for ISBN, they are supposed to be for a particular title/edition, but smaller publishers have been known to 'reuse' some of their block of numbers (often were I believe sold in small quantities) for newer books, after their initial purchase had run out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

GS1 Codes are company codes, and do not always identify the country of origin of individual products,

Yes

Some Lenz stuff is made in China but always carry a German prefix.

• Like 1