The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's how they do it though and have done for years. Look at online betting sites.

Germany to beat England 10-1 suggests that's the predicted score!

Are England ever THAT bad, or do other national teams go soft on them?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

All you need is to go to Manchester, maybe? Can't think of anything else the place is famous/notorious for, except possibly cricket at Old Trafford!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jun/21/fosters-lager-brewed-in-britain

Of course it's required drinking for all good British people, whilst watching Neighbours!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Reorte said:

Suits me! I'll be even happier if we go back to a much less modernised railway too!

Yes

All railways to be converted to Brunel Gauge

Nice wide coaches with big windows, none of the tilt gauge tiny widowed stuff.

GWR_Gooch_Second_Class_broad_gauge_coach

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Yes

Dial-up internet connection only😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Yes

Those aren't windows, they're just holes..🙃

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Of course it's required drinking for all good British people, whilst watching Neighbours!

The stuff's not fit for anything, except possibly weedkiller.

Even if you used it as toilet cleaner, it would just make the thing smell worse.

Anyhow, hasn't Neighbours been put out of its misery?

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The stuff's not fit for anything, except possibly weedkiller.

Even if you used it as toilet cleaner, it would just make the thing smell worse.

Anyhow, hasn't Neighbours been put out of its misery?

Nope. Back on again!

Amazon bought it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Go to 'Spoons. The beer is always decent!

Well, it was at The Mile Castle in Newcastle on Wednesday. The clientele however…..😳

• Friendly/supportive 2

BC Ferries run an intensive service on many routes, but on the most heavily-used routes, individual sailings may be fully loaded and potential passengers without reservations may have to go on a later sailing. Local radio stations run regular reports on the state of the ferries on various runs, and the phrase “one sailing wait” is often used. That means potential passengers will have to sit in loading areas for maybe a couple of hours with nothing much to entertain them.

Hence this:

IMG_2786.jpeg.a43c9172e06996924bd6fcd815c747cc.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

Well, it was at The Mile Castle in Newcastle on Wednesday. The clientele however…..😳

Five Swans is better.

I used to like the "Union Rooms" which they sold on to another pub group.

There were several different rooms, each with it's own beer selection and plenty of space to eat if wanted.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pH said:

BC Ferries run an intensive service on many routes, but on the most heavily-used routes, individual sailings may be fully loaded and potential passengers without reservations may have to go on a later sailing. Local radio stations run regular reports on the state of the ferries on various runs, and the phrase “one sailing wait” is often used. That means potential passengers will have to sit in loading areas for maybe a couple of hours with nothing much to entertain them.

Hence this:

IMG_2786.jpeg.a43c9172e06996924bd6fcd815c747cc.jpeg

The only ferry service I have sailed on where the on board shop closes at lunchtime, so the staff can take their break.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The old Splott Park Cafe used to close for lunch.  Their clientele were shift workers from the various factories in the vicinity, so there was no need to open at that time.

• Like 2

I would point out that, in 28 years here, I have yet to meet an Australian who drinks Fosters. Mind you, the most widespread tipple of choice seems to VB, which is, if anything, worse, and is an excellent example of the power of marketing hype over objective reality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PatB said:

I would point out that, in 28 years here, I have yet to meet an Australian who drinks Fosters. 

It's a prank we play on the Poms.

1 hour ago, PatB said:

Mind you, the most widespread tipple of choice seems to VB, which is, if anything, worse, and is an excellent example of the power of marketing hype over objective reality.

VB is actually the third on the list of top seeling beers in Australia. Top is XXXX Gold followed by Tooheys New. I don't find any of them particularly enjoyable!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

It's a prank we play on the Poms.

VB is actually the third on the list of top seeling beers in Australia. Top is XXXX Gold followed by Tooheys New. I don't find any of them particularly enjoyable!

I stand corrected. It's a while since I spent much time in beer drinking circles though. When I do, I don't mind Tooheys Old. I find that it combines the better bits of a British bottled ale with a lack of treacliness (for want of a better term) that makes it bearable in a hot climate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Next to the Sutton Park line at Shooter's Hill there's a road which has one of those flashing speed signs to slow driver's down - being a residential area the limit is 30mph but the line speed for all trains on the line is 45mph, I often have a giggle when working a train up there setting off the sign at 45mph while an adjacent motorist is having kittens thinking he or she is doing the maximum 30mph..!

In Australia, they adjusted those signs to not go more than a certain number of kilometers over the speed limit. Perhaps it's 7kmh, anything more at it just flashes at the 7 over. It's so the hoons can't use it, to see how much beyond they can get their cars.

Yes, it didn't take long for them to be a problem, hence the maximum.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to rather like setting those things off back in my cycling days.  Or even getting them into the yellow 28-30mph range.

Back in my school days, on my old but much-loved Carlton 5-speed, I overtook my Geology master coming down Thornhill (Cardiff) after a Friday pm field trip up on Caerphilly mountain.  I passed his battered old Austin A35 which he told me on the Monday was doing 55.  This was in the days before there was a National speed limit on open roads.  Wheeeee!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

There was a rumour when the first Gatso speed cameras were installed that you could set them off repeatedly by swinging a bucket around in front of them. An alternative approach apparently was to use a tin can on the end of a length if string. I always wanted to try that out!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4