The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Isn't the Belgian one, being a non-standard value, also a collectors'-only version?

I understood that it was 'proper' currency in circulation, but only useful in Belgium, and I understand most of them will be "sold" for €6 in special packaging, so in the end and practically speaking, yes, a collectors' item.

The intended 'collectible' silver coin has a €10 denomination but will be sold for €40.

It is of course France's and Belgium's reactions which make this amusing. The €2,50 coin displaying the Lion's Mound is not particularly offensive. It's not like the coin featured an Imperial Guardsman running away or something equally and deliberately humiliating.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

All this Waterloo celebratory talk almost has me worried because the French are going to have one hell of a party in 2066 - William the Millenium Conqueror etc.  :scared:

On the other hand, I've googled 'French Preparations for 2066' and nothing has come up - yet!

All this Waterloo celebratory talk almost has me worried because the French are going to have one hell of a party in 2066 - William the Millenium Conqueror etc.  :scared:

Just the Normans. I'm not sure the French think of them as French yet, or the Bretons.

• RMweb Gold

On the other hand, I've googled 'French Preparations for 2066' and nothing has come up - yet!

Great shame I'll miss that one (unless i live a long way past 100 :O ) as a couple of members of our family were on the winning side ;)

• RMweb Gold

Overheard in a grocery store somewhere in the USA. A woman is speaking on her mobile phone in another language. After she hangs up, a white man in front of her in the queue in front of her speaks up.

Man: "I didn't want to say anything while you were on the phone, but you're in America now. You need to speak English".

Woman: "Excuse me?"

Man, very slowly: "If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico. In America, we speak English."

Woman: "Sir, I was speaking Navajo. If you want to speak English, go back to England."

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

(Aphorism: A short, pointed sentence that expresses a wise or clever observation or a general truth)

1. The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow.

2. Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

3. If you don't have a sense of humour you probably don't have any sense at all.

4. Seat belts are not as confining as wheelchairs.

5. A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

6. How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?

7. Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without.

8. Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else looks?

9. Stroke a cat and you will have a permanent job.

10. No one has more driving ambition than the teenage boy who wants to buy a car.

11. There are no new sins; the old ones just get more publicity.

12. There are worse things than getting a call for a wrong number at 4 a.m. - for example, it could be the right number.

13. No one ever says "It's only a game" when their team is winning.

14. I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

15. Be careful about reading the fine print - there's no way you're going to like it.

16. The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket.

17. Do you realize that, in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

18. Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than in a Ford.

19. After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you're probably dead.

20. Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind and the ones that mind don't matter.

21. Life isn't tied with a bow but it's still a gift.

And remember ....

Politicians and Diapers should be changed often, and for the same reason.

• Like 5

Noah's Ark:

Everything I need to know, I learned from Noah's Ark.

ONE: Don't miss the boat.
TWO: Remember that we are all in the same boat!
THREE: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark .
FOUR: Stay fit. When you're 60 years old, someone may

ask you to do something really big.
FIVE: Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.
SIX: Build your future on high ground.
SEVEN: For safety's sake, travel in pairs.
EIGHT: Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on

board with the cheetahs.
NINE: When you're stressed, float awhile.
TEN: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.
ELEVEN: No matter the storm-  there's always a rainbow waiting.

Most people walk in and out of your life,
but FRIENDS leave footprints on your heart!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Noah's Ark, can someone explain to me how the Kangaroo, Wallaby, Platypus, etc., all got from Australia to Turkey to be on the ark before the flood, and how they all got back to Australia without getting lost on the way back afterwards?

• Like 5