The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

Or when I tasted Guinness!

A very  variable beer when on draught. You should try it again some time.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

...snip... I think the US use the word "slide" for any footwear that the foot "slides" in, irrestpective of heel/rest of the shoe/sandal. ...snip...

I remember all non-lace-up shoes being called "loafers". I still wear them. And what you are calling "trainers"  were called "tennis" shoes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, pH said:

It was really Irish, at least the bottle label stated brewed in Ireland.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pH said:

It’s really not that difficult to keep, as are most beers, just make sure your lines are cleaned out once a week. 

And it’s as simple as that, and I’m really not giving away any trade secrets with that little kernel 😀

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Or when I tasted Guinness!

Some of us over here don't like it either, but we generally keep quiet about it. Bloody nitrokegs - they're all horrible. I've sometimes wondered what Guinness was like before they started mucking around with it in the late 1950s. It might have been rather nice.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

... both "trainer" and "training shoe" were used in the 1970s for pretty much any kind of sports shoe without spikes or studs

Yes, I understand. My point was that the term "trainer" is relatively new (etymologically speaking) dating only from 1968. It's not enshrined with a lot of historical gravitas. 

The term "sneaker" is fifty years older.

Many athletic shoes in the US are labeled by their use. The Addias Stan Smith is a "tennis shoe" not a sneaker, and Nike Air Jordans* are "basketball shoes".  The classic Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars are "Chucks". The Converse All Star (rubber sole, canvas upper) was first made in 1917.

* Or Jumpman Js or MJs or Jays etc depending on the subculture.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

all non-lace-up shoes being called "loafers"

The 'dressy' leather ones still are.

Back in the day did people in the US not use "moccasin"? That term is still used today as well - though often abbreviated to 'moc'. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The canvas topped soft soled shoes were always just called plimsolls when I was at school or in the RAF.

Spent many hours blancoing them. ( Though by then it wasn't actually Blanco).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

When I was in the Navy, every compartment (room) had bulkheads, an overhead and a deck, I still use those terms occasionally. I have to watch myslf when I tell someone to throw something in the sh!tc@n, er, trashcan. Some things one just never loses! 🙄

The overhead is known as the deckhead in British ships.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

My Dad, and some others of his generation that I knew, referred to plimsolls as "daps", which I think may have reflected in which of the forces they served. 

I think I commented on “daps” elsewhere, some time ago, but they were certainly referred to as such in the RN.

1 hour ago, Stray said:

Our P.E teacher was quite a good shot with a plimmy (what we called them in the 60's). 

Our sports master was a good shot with a relay baton, as I found to my cost when I ‘appeared’ not to be concentrating on his instructions. I think the baton must have been made from lignum vitae as it knocked me senseless (nowadays, of course, I could claim compensation).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Deeps said:

I think I commented on “daps” elsewhere, some time ago, but they were certainly referred to as such in the RN.

Our sports master was a good shot with a relay baton, as I found to my cost when I ‘appeared’ not to be concentrating on his instructions. I think the baton must have been made from lignum vitae as it knocked me senseless (nowadays, of course, I could claim compensation).

Dad was in the Fleet Air Arm, so that fits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Daps for all South Wales kids.  The name may have come from Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls, one of the first types marketed, later Dunlop Green Flash. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Size nine, black.

With fork handles, plugs, hoes, peas, washers and big knockers.

You forgot the bullhooks

• Funny 1