The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

Walked into the local farm shop today and the tree is up ( with lights).

Tesco's, mince pies , a certain pudding, lots of crackers..

As the cartoon suggests, the value of having a commercial celebration of Halloween is to hold off the Christmas juggernaut for a few weeks. All the 'seasonal items' in the shops here have a black and orange motif.

Specialty retailers are selling Christmas crackers and panettone, but they sell them essentially year-round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

The rapid transit system around San Francisco includes a reference to the major water feature in the area, and so it is the Bay Area Rapid Transit system. When the rapid transit system in the Vancouver area was being built, it was suggested that it be named in a similar way. A major river, the Fraser, runs through the Lower Mainland to the sea. The suggestion was not taken up.

IIRC, Railtrack had the idea of setting up Fast Action Response Teams to deal with incidents, but the name wasn't used in the end....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As the cartoon suggests, the value of having a commercial celebration of Halloween is to hold off the Christmas juggernaut for a few weeks. All the 'seasonal items' in the shops here have a black and orange motif.

Specialty retailers are selling Christmas crackers and panettone, but they sell them essentially year-round.

In this part of the US the grocery store has had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff out for the last month. But doesn't matter how the Hershey chocolate is wrapped I still don't want it!

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We stopped ‘doing’ xmas some years ago, and don’t really miss it much.  Just too stressful, and The Squeeze gets homesick for Polish Xmas with a carp being corn-fed in the bath…

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am just waiting for the EGG NOG to show up; not until mid-November, unfortunately! 🙁

I forgot to add my once-a-year trip to the liquor store for the RUM!!!! 🙄 A fifth of Admiral Nelson's Rum. It out-classes Captain Morgan Spiced Rum by a shipload.

EDIT: I guess that it should, an admiral out ranks a captain in anyone's navy!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 1