The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that!!!

(For J S Bach's benefit, it's a reference to a Monty Python sketch relying on comic absurdity, in which an office meeing is in progress when Torquemada (John Cleese) and the Spanish Inquisition burst into the room.  'We weren't expecting you', 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition'!)

I never found python funny or even worth listening too, so missed that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I never found python funny or even worth listening too, so missed that.

Not meant in any way at all to be derogatory  (and despite Stewart’s “agree”), I think that illustrates the differences between UK and US senses of humour (or humor!). 

“Monty Python” appears to be a very niche thing in the US, while it had a much bigger audience in the UK. And, typically, Canada appreciation seems to be somewhere in between.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pH said:

And, typically, Canada appreciation seems to be somewhere in between.

No it isn't, it's above the US and a ways to the left of the UK.  Ireland is somewhere in between...

Monty Python was extremely popular with people of my age group in the UK (I loved it), and with the next generation in the US, but it was very much 'of it's time' and would not appeal to a certain type of person.  You need to find the absurd comical, but there are people who simply find the absurd, well, absurd, and you probably have to be British to fully appreciate it's savage and satirical mockery of our absurd class system and social conventions.  I think it's probably fair to say that tv sketch comedy is a somewhat British thing anyway; can't think of an American example off-hand since Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, another show very much 'of it's time'.  I suppose you could count the Muppet Show, but that had the puppetry element as well, so not quite the same thing.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No it isn't, it's above the US and a ways to the left of the UK.  Ireland is somewhere in between...

If you’re going to be picky - travelling in a straight line from several New England states to any part of the UK, you will pass over some Canadian territory. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and parts of Newfoundland and Labrador are all possible, depending on the particular route. 

Then look at the Great Circle routes from the west coast of the USA e.g. California to the UK ‘over the pole’.

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1

Monty Python was extremely popular with people of my age group in the UK (I loved it), and with the next generation in the US, but it was very much 'of it's time' and would not appeal to a certain type of person.  You need to find the absurd comical, but there are people who simply find the absurd, well, absurd, and you probably have to be British to fully appreciate it's savage and satirical mockery of our absurd class system and social conventions. 

There are a lot of people in the US who appreciate Monty Python. It is worth mentioning that the final season of Monty Python's Flying Circus aired 50 (!!) years ago.

"Trouble at the mill ..." first aired 54 years ago.

I think it's probably fair to say that tv sketch comedy is a somewhat British thing anyway; can't think of an American example off-hand since Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, another show very much 'of it's time'.

"TV sketch comedy" is alive and well in the US. Saturday Night Live is celebrating it's 50th season.  You may not find it as funny as the Pythons, but if the Flying Circus was still on the air the quality would be highly variable - I'll let you contemplate who would be in the cast. To it's credit SNL is still live - mostly.

The opening episode of SNL-50 (last Saturday) had a very good pre-taped sketch on a chain of pop-up Halloween stores.  If you know "Spirit Halloween" it's funny - the opening is very much a parody of the style of election commercials.

I suppose you could count the Muppet Show, but that had the puppetry element as well, so not quite the same thing.

The Muppet Show was an interesting trans-Atlantic hybrid. All filmed in the UK but creative talent from both sides of the pond.

Edited by Ozexpatriate