The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

On a good day, he could out-Coleman David Coleman, and HE had a Private Eye column named after him...

Peter West, as a cricket and rugby union commentator, had his moments.  Radio commentating on a cricket match at Swansea's St Helen's ground in the mid-60s, he once came out a bit drunkenly with 'There's a ship with big white funnels going round and round and round in the bay' (Campbell's Cardiff Queen was experiencing rudder problems*, and nothing much happens at times in cricket, fair play, drunk or not he had a professional's aversion to dead air time).  I rate this as equivalent to Alvar Liddell's slurred 'The fleet's all lit up!' at a pre-war Spithead Review (the fleet not being the only thing all lit up, Alvar...).   A proud Englishman, West found non-partisan commentary at internationals difficult, and would usually be 'entertained' a bit pre-match; he was responsible for delights such as 'the referee has just blown up in the middle of the field', and the following IIRC was from a Wales game which England lost quite badly in the early 60s, '... and the b*ggers are coming at us again!'. 

He was kept to 'It's a Knockout' & 'Come Dancing' after that...

*The Mumbles lifeboat was carrying out training duties at the same time, and 'stood by' the paddle steamer until the issue was resolved, but nobody was ever in any danger.  The local press, alerted to the incident by West's circulatory description, made the most of it and you'd have thought a Titanic-scale disaster had been averted!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And now I've got Jeux Sans Frontier as an earworm.  '🎶 Hans plays with Lottie, Lottie plays with Jane, Jane plays with Wille, Willie's happy again🎵'.  Or, more to the point, 'Benito builds a bonfire and Adolf plays with it'.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And now I've got Jeux Sans Frontier as an earworm.  '🎶 Hans plays with Lottie, Lottie plays with Jane, Jane plays with Wille, Willie's happy again🎵'.  Or, more to the point, 'Benito builds a bonfire and Adolf plays with it'.

All you need do to defeat an earworm is to listen to a different piece of music...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Works sometimes.  This has got the feeling that I'm going to be suffering for about a week.  Sometimes playing the offending piece of musis works.  I find this similar to a recurring nightmare I have had since I was a child, which still pays me an occasional visit; I call it 'The tiger at the bottom of the lane'.  A whole network of back lanes ran behind the houses we lived in, and they were my default means of getting about the place, safer and thus more parent-friendly than the roads.  But a nightmare tiger lurked there in the failing light, and still does, at a 'crosslanes' behind the street I grew up in, and I'm just as terrified of him now as I was then.  When I visit this crosslanes (awake, in daylight), he leaves me alone for maybe a few years, then he comes back again.  He's an old chum now...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I rate this as equivalent to Alvar Liddell's slurred 'The fleet's all lit up!' at a pre-war Spithead Review (the fleet not being the only thing all lit up, Alvar...).  

In defence of Alvar Liddell, he wasn't the guilty party.  The incident occurred during the Coronation Review of the Fleet on 20 May 1937 and the commentator was an ex-naval officer, Lt. Cmdr. Thomas Woodrooffe.  The commentary came from his old ship and he had been rather generously entertained in the wardroom beforehand...

Keith

Alton.