The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Referencing the Maginogion story of 'The Dream of Maxen', I have this mental vision of Maximus and Elyn returning to Rome over the mountains on rough tracks of the 'Sarn Helen' (which is still a bit gnarly in places) in the Welsh rain; 'Uffern Dan, Max, it's a bit rough, innit like, bloody 'ell', 'Don't-a worry, Cara Mia, once-a your hosts have a-installed-a mea as-a Imperator Maximus, I make-a all-a da roads a-straight-a!'.  Even now, the A470 is not entirely straight or even straight-ish...

The Romans did manage to make the Trawfynydd road pretty straight, though, no mean achievement in that part of the world!

This film about Roman roads is interesting.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Which begs the question 'how do you register your death when you are, um, dead'?

Back in the 80s, between jobs and in the Jobcentre, I was browsing through the DHSS (as it was then) leaflets and chanced upon one titled 'What to do in the event of a death', about the various benefits and notifications needed.  I thought to myself, what should this leaflet contain in the way of instructions...

1) Stay where you are, do not attempt to move.

2) Do not attempt to breathe.

3) Do not attempt to speak.

4) Decompose.

5) Continue to sign on as actively seeking employment every alternate Thursday afternoon at 13.30 or benifit may be witheld.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

1) Stay where you are, do not attempt to move.

2) Do not attempt to breathe.

3) Do not attempt to speak.

4) Decompose.

5) Continue to sign on as actively seeking employment every alternate Thursday afternoon at 13.30 or benifit may be witheld.

6) You may be fined or prosecuted if you do not register your death.

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, billbedford said:

I found this interesting piece this morning: Data on extreme human ageing.

It includes this classic line:

I believe Manchester Utd had to have an amnesty a few years ago after it was discovered a certain amount of their season ticket holders who had gone on to another place were still apparently alive and well… Basically to avoid having to go on the waiting list, family members were renewing said season tickets from their deceased relatives, possibly a reason for Old Traffords marketing name of ‘The Theatre of Dreams?’ 😀

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, billbedford said:

I found this interesting piece this morning: Data on extreme human ageing.

It includes this classic line:

3 minutes ago, Matt37268 said:

I believe Manchester Utd had to have an amnesty a few years ago after it was discovered a certain amount of their season ticket holders who had gone on to another place were still apparently alive and well… Basically to avoid having to go on the waiting list, family members were renewing said season tickets from their deceased relatives, possibly a reason for Old Traffords marketing name of ‘The Theatre of Dreams?’ 😀

There was a report a few years ago where a Nigerian pensioner was reported to be 110 years old. As he was illiterate he gave a thumbprint as a signature for collecting his pension. The pension officials decided that his great age should be celebrated and went to his village to tell him. When they arrived at the village at first they couldn't find him until one of the villagers said he was in the graveyard. The officials went to te graveyard to find that he had died more than thirty years previously. What had happened was that his family not wanting to lose the pension after he died cut off his thumb and used it like a rubber stamp.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1