The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

54 minutes ago, Hroth said:

One of the blanks on the board shown in a photograph for the article was Teeside Airport station.  He's going to have a bit of a wait for a ticket from there to Northampton as the station is currently closed pending repairs to its only working platform and was previously served by a weekly "parliamentary" service.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teesside_Airport_railway_station

Also Tilbury Riverside, the last train from there was in 1992 and though the station still exists it is no longer connected to the rail system. There was a replacement bus service to Tilbury Town but that has now ceased.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 12/06/2024 at 13:49, luckymucklebackit said:

OK it's political, but generalised, I thought it funny.

FB_IMG_1718196404022.jpg.72f743a129d71ed2eb2adcbd9a2521d5.jpg

The Lord is my shepherd
I shall not want
He makes me down to lie
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by
With bright knives, He releaseth my soul
He made me to hang on hooks in high places
He converteth me to lamb cutlets
For lo, He hath great power and great hunger
When cometh the day we lowly ones
Through quiet reflection and great dedication
Master the art of karate
Lo, we shall rise up
And then we'll make the 's eyes water

https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-sheep-lyrics

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2024 at 13:49, luckymucklebackit said:

OK it's political, but generalised, I thought it funny.

FB_IMG_1718196404022.jpg.72f743a129d71ed2eb2adcbd9a2521d5.jpg

‘I shall gather around me a small group of  dedicated like-minded people, and we wiil begin to campaign.  I will thereby achieve local notoriety, and stand in local council elections.  My faction will grow in power and influence, and, after some failures, I will enter parliament.  Over time, I will be appointed to minor, then major  ministerial cabinet positions, then I will become Prime Minister.  At that point I will declare myself dictator for life, militarise the nation, and invade & subjugate all others.  The World will come under my control, millions will flock to my banner, and all shall love Me.  I will rule, and I will have power, power I say, complete and absolute, power, power, POWER, POWER!!!!!

But, I hope, I shall retain my humility’. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

‘I shall gather around me a small group of  dedicated like-minded people, and we wiil begin to campaign.  I will thereby achieve local notoriety, and stand in local council elections.  My faction will grow in power and influence, and, after some failures, I will enter parliament.  Over time, I will be appointed to minor, then major  ministerial cabinet positions, then I will become Prime Minister.  At that point I will declare myself dictator for life, militarise the nation, and invade & subjugate all others.  The World will come under my control, millions will flock to my banner, and all shall love Me.  I will rule, and I will have power, power I say, complete and absolute, power, power, POWER, POWER!!!!!

But, I hope, I shall retain my humility’. 

Where you said "millions will flock to my banner", I misread it as minions...

Anyhow, are you going to have the stamina and last long enough to achieve your ultimate goal? 🤔   Perhaps you should limit your aims to Total Control of the Welsh Assembly and batter some commonsense into that mob!

Oops!  Was that "political"?

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Big Brother’s drone is watching you😉

He can't see me through this stylish Bacofoil hat!🤪

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Where you said "millions will flock to my banner", I misread it as minions...

Anyhow, are you going to have the stamina and last long enough to achieve your ultimate goal? 🤔   Perhaps you should limit your aims to Total Control of the Welsh Assembly and batter some commonsense into that mob!

Oops!  Was that "political"?

Whether it is or ss not, it is totally meaningless to me!!  animated-laughing-image-0063.gif

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whether it is or ss not, it is totally meaningless to me!! 

The Welsh Assembly Government is the devolved tier of regional power for Wales, a bit like an American State government.  There are similar bodies for Scotland and Northern Ireland; the UK government retains control of defence, policing, taxation & welfare, the National Health system, border controls, Education, and roads.  The situation is a little anomalous in that there is no such body for England; the UK government fulfils that role; in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland there each constituency has a Member of Parliament at Westminster in addition to their Assembly Members, but in England there are only MPs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Someone was naughty, and someone else didn't proof read.  The FAI had to make an apology to Latvia after this was sold!

FB_IMG_1726252749612.jpg.5205b035bbf660b9b51b87f45abe98e7.jpg

Back in the 1960s (and maybe later), on a Friday one of the Glasgow evening papers (the Citizen, I think) used to have a full page of amateur football games in the Glasgow area for the coming weekend, in very small type and organized by league. Very few readers ever looked at this page, except perhaps players checking that their own game was listed.

One week someone, presumably a disgruntled employee, maybe on the way out the door, inserted into the middle of this page a fictitious league made up of teams with absolutely obscene names. A guy at work brought it in on the Monday to show the rest of us. He hadn’t found it, but had been in the pub on the Friday night in a group including a football fanatic, who must have been about the only person not an actual player who ever paid any attention  to that page.

• Like 5
  • Funny 3