The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I can't really criticise bagpipes, after all I'm known to be into drones.  Actually I rather like bagpipes, and didgeridoos, but they must be unadulterated hell for those who don't! 

And I'm not averse to a Haggis on Burns' Night, or any other time, though I do prefer wild to farmed.  A Haggis with tatties & neaps I once had in an Edinburgh pub counts as one of the best meals I've ever had.

Every time I see your thread on Drones, I have to stifle the urge to post a comment about bagpipes!

Didgeridoos are different, their modulated throb is quite restful, like listening to an ASMR podcast.

Quite unlike the whinging wail of the pipes...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Why stop at banning farmed Haggis?  Save the wild Haggis! Make the killing and eating of Haggis illegal!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've never understood all the attention paid to haggisses, which are quite ugly creatures few people have seen and hardly anyone other than tourists in Scotland ever eat (and most of those get fobbed off with cheap imitation "haggis" made from sheep).

The really shameful secret hidden by the British food industry is the treatment of rennets, used to make cheese. All traditional British cheese - from Cheddar to Stilton, Wensleydale to Lancashire, Cheshire to Caerphilly - contains rennet, an essential ingredient used to contain the smell and stop cheese disintegrating into a formless jelly like French cheeses do. Oh we in Britain are good at pointing our fingers at the French and their animal cruelty, with their veal and fois gras, but we're happy to turn a blind eye to the cruelties of our own cheese industry.

Come on people, save the rennet!

https://savingtherennets.weebly.com/index.html

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Modulated throb, like it!  Chum who hates didgeridoos refers to them as 'didgeridon't'.  'They're long and they're deep/and they send you to sleep'...

Maybe you've got to be of a Celtic persuasion, but a piped lament in the rain done properly can rip out the beating heart from your chest and shred it with pitiless grief; few instruments are more expressive and mournful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

haggisses

Haggi, surely, and what you meant to say was that few people have seen them and lived to tell the tale; they are a spectacular combination of cuteness and murderous savagery, rather like a freckled and terrifying insane Glaswegian redhead girl I went out with, briefly...

Rather like the Scefflwgau of the Brecon Beacons, which are so terrifying that they are mostly dismissed as a story to dissuade small Boy Scouts from wandering off the path in the mists, otherwise the nightmares are too much...  There is no coherent description of these beasts, and those few poor souls who have survived encounters with them are reduced to babbling white-haired insanity.  All that is known for sure is that nothing is left, they devour you bones an' all, and that it's usually too quick for you to scream.  They may well be from another dimension; the walls between them get a bit thin up there sometimes.  The fact that I may or may not have invented them many years ago to help a chum involved with scouts & cubs in keeping them on the path during hiking activities is neither here nor there.

Another chum, this time Irish and hailing from the fine city of Cork, had a mother who ran a pub and took in paying guests.  One, a Cambridge professor, asked her if she believed in Leprachauns.  'How could you think such a thing', she said, 'I'm not from the bogs, I'm an intelligent woman with a degree in history from Trinity in Dublin, and I'll have no truck with such superstitious nonsense'.  'My apologies, my dear, I did not wish to offend'.  'No offence taken', as she leaned over and whispered conspiratorily, 'I don't believe in them.   But they're there, just the same'...

The Scefflwgau are there, just the same.  Stay on the path and pick up your sweet wrappers.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Haggi, surely

You're thinking of the Welsh -au plural, I suppose, but that would be Haggisi. I'm not sure Scots Gaelic works like that, and it might be something like haggisaichean. It's not Latin, that's for sure; the Romans never penetrated north far enough to encounter the beast.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Jeremy Cumberland said:

You're thinking of the Welsh -au plural, I suppose, but that would be Haggisi. I'm not sure Scots Gaelic works like that, and it might be something like haggisaichean. It's not Latin, that's for sure; the Romans never penetrated north far enough to encounter the beast.

Are you sure? Maybe they met one and that's why they built the Wall?

Andi

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Are you sure? Maybe they met one and that's why they built the Wall?

Andi

That would have been the Antonine Wall.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Modulated throb, like it!  Chum who hates didgeridoos refers to them as 'didgeridon't'.  'They're long and they're deep/and they send you to sleep'...

Maybe you've got to be of a Celtic persuasion, but a piped lament in the rain done properly can rip out the beating heart from your chest and shred it with pitiless grief; few instruments are more expressive and mournful.

If I wanted to hear throbbing it would be from a 55

• Like 2

Johnster, I'm with you on this. I'm English, but love both bagpipes and uellian pipes. I once went to Ashbourne Highland festival, and when I first parked up, you could hear a pipe band practising, but couldn't see them, and it sent shivers down my spine as the sound carried.

I've also seen a live band called Red Hot Chilli Pipers - boy they were good!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Rather like the Scefflwgau of the Brecon Beacons

It's not widely known that they get their name from their habit of feeding on Schefflera. Also known as the umbrella plant, and alleged to have been introduced by the Romans, in the hope of reducing the effects of Welsh rain.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Taigeisean - apart from anything else, haggisaichean breaks the important spelling rule of matching broad vowels such as 'a' to other broad vowels, and slender vowels such as 'i,e' to other slender vowels.

But no need to thank me, it's your life ('se do bheatha)  - google that ;-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm not too sure about these...

20240904_0848562.jpg.1c88a74fa48cf8fe4db7f88d17c16586.jpg

They had to introduce that measure becaus the Scots are having a nematode problem with their seed potatoes...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

They had to introduce that measure becaus the Scots are having a nematode problem with their seed potatoes...

The Best Before date is now sometime next century. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm not too sure about these...

20240904_0848562.jpg.1c88a74fa48cf8fe4db7f88d17c16586.jpg

With such a complex history (like most large international food brands), who really knows what's in them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrells_(crisps)#History

https://www.tyrrellscrisps.com.au/range/potato-crisps/mature-cheddar-chives-crinkly-crisps/

Melbourne factory is not far from me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2024 at 16:05, The Johnster said:

I can't really criticise bagpipes, after all I'm known to be into drones.  Actually I rather like bagpipes, and didgeridoos, but they must be unadulterated hell for those who don't! 

And I'm not averse to a Haggis on Burns' Night, or any other time, though I do prefer wild to farmed.  A Haggis with tatties & neaps I once had in an Edinburgh pub counts as one of the best meals I've ever had.

There is a company event day on Saturday, part of the 'entertainment' is going to be a techno bagpipes band. Unfortunately I have a prior engagement in the UK. so I will miss it...

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1