The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

457371547_122169753374226602_4045160856392911136_n.jpg.0c6b0a9f7210bebcf21c0166a7af046c.jpg

Nicked from Facebook and destined to be hugely influential in my shopping this week😍

Just confirms my opinion that oreos are entirely inedible!

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

457371547_122169753374226602_4045160856392911136_n.jpg.0c6b0a9f7210bebcf21c0166a7af046c.jpg

Nicked from Facebook and destined to be hugely influential in my shopping this week😍

Rubbish, everything is subjected to shrinkflation, where everything gradually gets smaller and smaller!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

????????????????????

Illegal immigrants/asylum seekers cross the English Channel from Calais to Dover in attempts to enter the UK, in overcrowded inflatable boats provided by people traffickers.  Many don't make it (people traffickers, like drug barons, are one of the classes of 'human' that I would cheerfully hang, slowly and with extreme prejudice), the Straits of Dover are a busy shipping lane with nasty tidal currents and, often, bad weather; it's a lot riskier than crossing the Mexican border or Cuba-Florida, more like the Darien Gap, but the migrants are desparate and herded on to the dingies at gunpoint by the traffickers.  The cartoon shows a boatload of them passing a crowd of Brits paddling the other way to escape the economic decline of the UK.  It's not, in my view, particularly funny.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a more appropriate punishment for the people traffickers would be to stake them out at the low tide mark, facing out to sea, so they can see their encroaching doom?

I have a vague feeling that the Execution Dock at Wapping for pirates, smugglers, etc, worked in a similar fashion.  I may be wrong!

Ok, mostly wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_Dock

but the more egregrious pirates were hung on a short rope and slowly throttled. It might have been a race between that and a rising tide to finish them off.

Edited by Hroth
update!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Brits paddling the other way to escape the economic decline of the UK.

Probably the types that voted for one of the primary causes of said decline, which also has the effect of trapping them here...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Local legend says that pirates were executed buried up to their necks at Llantwit Major beach, between low and high tide marks because they weren’t fit for land or sea.  IIRC, by which I mean I read it somewhere not that I remember it happening, honest guv, the law changed to them being hanged with the Wales-England Act of Union under Henry VII. 

By Elizabethan times, the local gentry were so in cahoots with the Bristol Channel pirates (don’t forget this is where Henry Morgan came from a little later) that it was impossible to get a conviction against them.  

• Like 2

It made I larf.

Coolest UK summer since 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3rdwx4yx12o

Perhaps desperate to keep us all "on message", Al Beeb swiftly followed up with this:

The highest temperature ever recorded in the UK was 40.3C at Coningsby, Lincolnshire in July 2022.

Aha, that one again. Note the "Careful Ignoral" that the met.office weather recording site at Coningsby is in the middle of the RAF base, and the "highest temperature ever" was (completely coincidently) while Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4s were active.

And...

The hottest day of 2024 before Monday was 30 July, when temperatures reached 32C in Kew Gardens and Heathrow - both in London.

Gosh, it's not like a place with lots of hot greenhouses or jet exhaust gases could possibly have any effect on delicate thermometers is it?

• Funny 6

17 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Gosh, it's not like a place with lots of hot greenhouses or jet exhaust gases could possibly have any effect on delicate thermometers is it?

No, because they're in weather stations that are designed to be able to take accurate recordings of the weather and not be affected by surroundings.  For instance a few years ago there was one record temp that had been withdrawn because someone had parked a van next to the station and left the engine idling.

• Like 4