The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

4th rail electrification was common on some underground railways, though that's not the case there!  Probably ready for relaying.

In quite a few places the 4th inner, now unused, rail has been dropped to the sleepers and bonded to the running rails.

Such as here just south of Bushey

image.png.8aaabe44faa681a0da21fb9107cc3f71.png

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In quite a few places the 4th inner, now unused, rail has been dropped to the sleepers and bonded to the running rails.

Such as here just south of Bushey

image.png.8aaabe44faa681a0da21fb9107cc3f71.png

The Mersey railway was a 4 rail system and made an end on connection with the Wirral railway in Birkenhead, which was ok when the Wirral was a steam railway but became more of a problem when the LMS converted the Wirral lines to 3 rail electric in the late 30s.  It was solved by making the Mersey Railway units convertible between 3 and 4 rail, until they became life expired in the mid 50s, when the 4th rail finally vanished.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Mersey railway was a 4 rail system and made an end on connection with the Wirral railway in Birkenhead, which was ok when the Wirral was a steam railway but became more of a problem when the LMS converted the Wirral lines to 3 rail electric in the late 30s.  It was solved by making the Mersey Railway units convertible between 3 and 4 rail, until they became life expired in the mid 50s, when the 4th rail finally vanished.

The reason for using the four rail system was the fear that earth leakage would cause electrolytic corrosion of the cast iron tunnel rings. The London underground used four rail for the same reason. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The reason for using the four rail system was the fear that earth leakage would cause electrolytic corrosion of the cast iron tunnel rings. The London underground used four rail for the same reason. 

And also offset voltages above and below 0 (ground) (-210v centre & +420v outer) originally all LU trtacks but now only proper underground routes.

Sub surface routes post 2019 are -250 & +500v or if sharing with NR stock 0v & +750v

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Carpets in schools!

What school is that, Hogwarts?

Their stairs don't stay still long enough to install carpets - move around all the bleedin' time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Carpets in schools!

Just your average fee-paying public one probably.

steve 🙄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Carpets in schools!

At least one deaf school has carpets in the corridors to cut down on background noise.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Their stairs don't stay still long enough to install carpets - move around all the bleedin' time.

Thats the reason for the crazy paving effect!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Carpets in schools!

Not one where they teach people to spell "because"!

Did the inventor of dazzle camouflage have that carpet at home?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, steve1 said:

Just your average fee-paying public one probably.

steve 🙄

With an expensive 'consultant'!

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

image.png.f7f926b171a5da5a34535fbc857d8688.png

I heat that the whole incident has been referred to the IOPC (that's the Independent Office for Pummelled Cows).

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2024 at 15:49, TheQ said:

I'll bet no one in turkey uses our correct name.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Does anyone ever say “I’m from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”? I’ve never heard anyone say that. So, if people who are actually from The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland don’t refer to their country as that, why should anyone else?

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

Does anyone ever say “I’m from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”? I’ve never heard anyone say that. So, if people who are actually from The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland don’t refer to their country as that, why should anyone else?

Fair point.  I usually say I'm Welsh, or British, the order in which I consider both my national and geographic identity.  I'm happy to be described as either, or 'from the UK', but object to 'English'.  Being Welsh is an odd thing, though, because of the history; we are not a separate nation from England in the same way that Scotland, Ireland, or even Mannin are, as at the time of Union with England we had been an occupied territory for some two centuries and a group of small post-Iron Age principalities with a common language and culture prior to that.  In fact it can be argued that Wales, as a nation, is an English construct; the Romans added to the confusion by calling us Britons despite our not occupying all of the island of Britain never mind the archipelago.  If pressed I'll claim to be Silurian, I'm almost that in age...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5