The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, billbedford said:

The US system of government is an almost direct copy of the English system, though they did write down the constitution in case they forgot what was in it. 

Sort of/to a degree, but there are very significant differences beyond the written Constitution and Bill of Rights, including:

.An elected upper house.  We still haven't caught up with this one.

.Disestablishment of the Church.

.Abandonment of the concept of Nobility.  As an American once explained to me in a pub converstation when I suggested that he did not have to continually refer to me as 'sir', which was beginning to bother my peasant soul, 'where I come from, you are either 'sir', or else you ain't nuttin' but a boy!'. 

.Ownership of land as opposed to right to occupy granted ultimately from the Crown.

.Ability to impeach the Head of State.  Our best attempt at this was a beheading.

.The ability to eat swans, though I would argue that the Welsh and Scots are able to do this.

The basis of Federal government, followed by State government, seems to have been the Roman Senate in Republic days.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Ability to impeach the Head of State.  Our best attempt at this was a beheading.

I'm pretty sure theres a faction that wished they had beheading instead of impeachment...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The basis of Federal government, followed by State government, seems to have been the Roman Senate in Republic days.

Since there weren't a whole lot of republics around in the late 18th century, the colonials just copied what they knew, ie the English system. The equivalences were:

House of Commons  -->  House of Representatives 

House of Lords  -->  Senate

Two Senators were appointed by each state until 1917 when elections were introduced 

President  ->  George 3rd without a wig, or maybe Oliver Cromwell. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It's possibly more medieval than even that...

Senate, - Rich, landowner Barons etc, with the final call on all political decisions, given their financial support, relied on, for the most part, by the royals - and the chance of loosing touch with their heads.

House of Reps - Other rich persons voted {?} for

President a person voted for 4 yr periods, with similar powers to Royalty. - Royalty; before Cromwell wanted to replace the Royal families with his family, which, rather contrary to his intentions, caused parliament to re-instate royalty, but ensure that final decisions remained with the voted MPs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2024 at 10:43, KeithMacdonald said:

...snip... Some of the houses have thatched roofs? Barge pole job mate, pockey dark interiors and at least £10,000 for rethatching when it comes up for replacement, if you can find a competent thatcher.

What about Margaret?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, billbedford said:

House of Lords  -->  Senate

Two Senators were appointed by each state until 1917 when elections were introduced 

President  ->  George 3rd without a wig, or maybe Oliver Cromwell. 

Two Senators per state is nonsense, because such a small number, can't represent anyone. California, a state of 39 million has only 2 Senators.

We have "A senator is a member of the Australian Senate, elected to represent a state or territory. There are 76 senators, 12 from each state and two each from the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory."

While looking for this, I discovered that from 1946-49, in the Senate there were 33 government senators and only 3 opposition Senators (was 6 from each state and none from ACT & NT then). Hardly a balanced system - no wonder it was known as the House of the Rubber Stamp!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

.Ability to impeach the Head of State.  Our best attempt at this was a beheading.

Nar, the best attempts were red hot pokers in the fundament, they could then be passed off as "natural causes" ie God's Will. 

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Two Senators per state is nonsense, because such a small number, can't represent anyone. California, a state of 39 million has only 2 Senators.

But it's much easier to buy two. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Nar, the best attempts were red hot pokers in the fundament, they could then be passed off as "natural causes" ie God's Will. 

Are you the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells? 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, billbedford said:

As buggery was seen as a crime in those days, there was an element of the punishment fitting the crime as well, but another reason is that this method left no external marks on the corpse, enabling a credible claim of natural causes.  It is an old hunter's trick, to dispose of the animal without leaving a mark on the pelt.

There are several English Kings' deaths that have at least a question mark over them.  William II Rufus was allegedly accidentally shot on a hunt in the New Forest, but it has to be mentioned that his brother, who was about to become Henry I, was off to Winchester at full gallop to secure the crown and the treasury almost before Rufus had hit the ground; sounds like a coup to me.  We'll give 'surfeit of lamphreys' the benefit of the doubt, but what about Richard II, who was last seen entering Wakefield Castle under guard and never heard of again?  The only question about Edward V was that of whose orders he was murdered on, and my view is that Crookback Dick is no.1 suspect, but Henry VII was more than capable of it.  The exact circumstances of John's death are unclear as well, though he probably was deeply unwell at the time.  And George V ('the King's life is drawing peacefully to it's close) was euthanised in order to fit in with newspaper schedules. 

Part of the problem is that, in medieval times, a brutal and deadly power struggle co-existed with a lower level of medical and forensic knowledge, and it was quite possible for people to 'take sick & die' in ways that were inexplicable even before one takes red-hot pokers into the equation. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, billbedford said:

I feel sorry for the bloke tasked to climb up the garderobe tower with the "red hot implement" to stab him in the fundament...

As The Johnster said below

I don't think that's what happened; more likely he was stripped and held in 'the position' while the implement was administered.  It would have cooled off too much during a climb up the oubliette, and Edward being Edward, would have enjoyed it...

Which is a more plausible scenario. It was just more fun to think of some "Baldrick" having to do the deed from below.

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that's what happened; more likely he was stripped and held in 'the position' while the implement was administered.  It would have cooled off too much during a climb up the oubliette, and Edward being Edward, would have enjoyed it...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

.... Part of the problem is that, in medieval times, a brutal and deadly power struggle co-existed with a lower level of medical and forensic knowledge, and it was quite possible for people to 'take sick & die' in ways that were inexplicable even before one takes red-hot pokers into the equation. 

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I feel sorry for the bloke tasked to climb up the garderobe tower with the "red hot implement" to stab him in the fundament...

... It was just more fun to think of some "Baldrick" having to do the deed from below. 

https://www.ancientpages.com/2019/12/15/dwarf-ninja-ukifune-jinnais-toilet-assassination-of-uesugi-kenshin/ 

Brings tears to your eyes... 

• Like 2