The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

With a bit of forethought, the pipe would be a little more upstream (around a bend perhaps?) and then no one would have realised that it was an artificial feed...

That was the plan, but then Covid kicked in😉

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The prettier the village, the more it has been murdered by tourism and second-homers, dead lifeless things, museum pieces, travesties of their former selves. 

The alternative is to be murdered by development, infrastructure and all sorts of other "improvements." The choice seems to be between museum piece or vandalism.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It was slightly worrying to see an Austin 1100, AllAggro and Maestro being called "state of the art". But perhaps they were artistic cars, instead of great-engineering cars? Not helped by their use of Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrics?

I had a Vauxhall Chevette and that was plagued with electrical problems, courtesy of Bosch. It was solved by fitting a Lucas alternator.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a Vauxhall Chevette and that was plagued with electrical problems, courtesy of Bosch. It was solved by fitting a Lucas alternator.

Ah, the Chavette, a sort of reskinned Viva, that then morphed into the Nova...

Something like that anyhow....

For one reason or another, I never had the urge to get a car until quite late in life, so all the marvellous 70s onwards rustbuckets passed me by.  Eventually when I did get one, some 20 years ago now, I ended up with a Skoda Fabia...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I used to live in the village in the lower picture, for several years.  Fortunately, not during the time that Ranulph Fiennes blew the dam up.  I had a full time job at the time, as did everyone in the village. I have not been back recently, so can't speak for today's residents, but I can't see much reason for Castle Combe to have altered much.

Blew the dam up? Brings back memories of Toddbrook Reservoir, which I live rather close to... (the dam that got overtopped during a storm a few years back, and the spillway started to fail - fortunately not catastrophically, but it came far too close).

There was a newspaper report I saw at the time which described as "Hollywood disaster movie meets Last Of The Summer Wine." The reporter also sounded a bit put out by failing to find people running around in a panic - "they're a stoic lot around here."

I'm afraid that I didn't know that Castle Combe was anything other than a racing circuit!

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

perhaps they were artistic cars, instead of great-engineering cars?

They were a product of the great British motor industry, known as "British Leyland" then "BL plc", until 1986, when it was renamed "The Rover Group".

Possibly because it was going to the dogs.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Ah, the Chavette, a sort of reskinned Viva, that then morphed into the Nova...

Actually it was a rebadged Opel Kadett with the Viva engine and a restyled front end. Body panels were interchangeable (with the exception of the aforementioned front end). The hatchback was designed by Vauxhall who supplied the bodies to Opel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually it was a rebadged Opel Kadett with the Viva engine and a restyled front end. Body panels were interchangeable (with the exception of the aforementioned front end). The hatchback was designed by Vauxhall who supplied the bodies to Opel.

Stupidly, given the size of his "patch", my late father's then employer provided him with a company Chevette.

He wore it out before it came due for its first MoT test, having received 6000 mile services at roughly two monthly intervals.

Towards the end, it felt like it was actually going to fall apart!

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Whereas in the USA, they would build a McDonald's at the bottom, with no one going beyond that.

On my first visit to Egypt in 1979 a US couple on the same (all inclusive) tour asked where the nearest Macdonalds was. (There weren't any then)

They seemed quite baffled that there were places without them.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I used to live in the village in the lower picture, for several years.  Fortunately, not during the time that Ranulph Fiennes blew the dam up.  I had a full time job at the time, as did everyone in the village. I have not been back recently, so can't speak for today's residents, but I can't see much reason for Castle Combe to have altered much.

Did you work in the village, or commute elsewhere?  Did you do your main shopping in the village, and use the village pub and Post Office?  Would you say you were typical of full-time residents?

I wonder, for example, how much the fictional Portwenn from 'Doc Martin', Port Isaac in North Cornwall, accurately reflects the life of that place.  A strong community with something going on all year round, not a ghost town in winter mid-week.  Doc Martin seems to take place in a perpetual summer under blue skies, with few tourists and no winter storms battering the empty harbour (because the fishing boats have all been hauled out for safe storage) and spreading salt spray miles inland.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

With a bit of forethought, the pipe would be a little more upstream (around a bend perhaps?) and then no one would have realised that it was an artificial feed...

Now you're thinking like the Thames Water BOD!

• Funny 3

On 06/06/2024 at 21:27, The Johnster said:

To be fair, plenty rural towns in the UK look like the top picture.  And I’d ask how many people live in the village pictured, actually in those houses, permanently as their first and only residence, and work in the area as well.  Nobody in the UK has lived like that for several generations, though some might live in council estates or ‘mobile homes’ (Americans call them trailers) nearby.  The prettier the village, the more it has been murdered by tourism and second-homers, dead lifeless things, museum pieces, travesties of their former selves.  

Bourton-on-the Water, Mevagissey, Beddgelert, Clovelly, Robin Hood’s Bay, Solva, Dunoon, and many, many more. 

Well, as it happens, I do live and work in a rural town like the bottom one. It is far from dead and lifeless.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

On my first visit to Egypt in 1979 a US couple on the same (all inclusive) tour asked where the nearest Macdonalds was. (There weren't any then)

They seemed quite baffled that there were places without them.

So they had to starve then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4