The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

image.png.d9ed72fc1cead329031972fe3e59b794.png

If someone is going to photo-alter an image with lettering, at least do the lettering properly!

• Agree 6

Good afternoon Steamport,

I had that song running through my head all the time we were in holiday in North Norfolk last October.

Remebered from long ago on the radio (whatever Radio 2 was before it became R2).

I didn't try singing it for fear of being lynched 😂

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Would have been the Light Programme...

Which ran with the Home Service, now R4, and the 3rd Programme, now R3.  Until the pirates, which were out of range in South Wales anyway, the only viable alternatives were Radio Luxemburg (208metres Medium Wave) and AFN Frankfurt, but that was pushing the range as well.  There was no Welsh language station, but there was Welsh content on local Home Service.  The Captain had a big old valve multiband set with Short Wave that could pick up all sorts of things, but you had to keep fine-tuning it or it drifted.  I believe Luxemburg is still in business, doing mostly Gospel/Religious stuff.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

If someone is going to photo-alter an image with lettering, at least do the lettering properly!

Too lazy, just pick the first font on the list.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Which ran with the Home Service, now R4, and the 3rd Programme, now R3.  Until the pirates, which were out of range in South Wales anyway, the only viable alternatives were Radio Luxemburg (208metres Medium Wave) and AFN Frankfurt, but that was pushing the range as well

When I lived in Moseley (Birmingham) I had a radio with a long wire aerial down the length of the long garden.

I could pick up American AM stations after the European's all closed down at night (no 24hr broadcasting in those days)

Much better selection of pop music than 208 or the Beeb.

It also meant I could receive the UK pirates well when they started up, I had found Caroline the day after it went on air and even taped some of the shows on ¼" tapes.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

When I lived in Baltimore, MD, I used to get a lot of clear-channel AM stations at night, a favorite was CKLW 800KC Windsor, Ont (the BIG 8) was a favorite.

t

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Which ran with the Home Service, now R4, and the 3rd Programme, now R3.  Until the pirates, which were out of range in South Wales anyway, the only viable alternatives were Radio Luxemburg (208metres Medium Wave) and AFN Frankfurt, but that was pushing the range as well.  There was no Welsh language station, but there was Welsh content on local Home Service.  The Captain had a big old valve multiband set with Short Wave that could pick up all sorts of things, but you had to keep fine-tuning it or it drifted.  I believe Luxemburg is still in business, doing mostly Gospel/Religious stuff.

Radio 3, like the GWR, never changed its name or way of doing things after the Grouping, though recently they took custodianship of "Friday Night is Music Night" from Radio 2, due to the influx of superannuated Radio 1 hipsters moving from Radio 1 to Radio 2.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckvvlv3lewxo

Second picture down, if they've not altered it, entitled "Miriam Adelson (left) with Mr Trump"

So, on the left then?  I've never heard of her, but I reckon I could've got that without the spoiler🙄

Maybe it was just meant to read "Miriam Adelson left with Mr Trump"? 😉

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Maybe it was just meant to read "Miriam Adelson left with Mr Trump"? 😉

Isn't she a bit to old for him?😉

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Isn't she a bit to old for him?😉

I've always had him down as one of those "anything with a pulse so long as it's right now" guys....

I'm flabbergasted how the born-again Religious Right fail to see through him. Mind you, he probably just looks like a typical TV evangelist to them....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've always had him down as one of those "anything with a pulse so long as it's right now" guys....

I'm flabbergasted how the born-again Religious Right fail to see through him. Mind you, he probably just looks like a typical TV evangelist to them....

John

He reminds me of how someone I worked with many years ago described one of our colleagues: "He'd try to a barber's shop floor." When I looked at him quizzically, he explained, "Anything with hair on it!"

Edited by The Sled
missed word
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

9 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Could be something to do with similarities between the contents of their accounting systems and his, if he gets into the white house, there's less likelihood of people peering at their's.   🙃

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1