The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

7 hours ago, big jim said:

It just sounds weird, the sort of thing you’d hear on a late night documentary about weird fetishes with a bloke dressed as a baby! 

I suspect they prefer terms like "dungeon".

Rumpus is more in the lines of "If you boys don't stop that rumpus right NOW! I'm going to tell your father when he gets home."  (Though the similar "ruckus" might be more likely in that admonition.

"Rumpus room" would be understood, but not used in the US. Terms like "bonus room" would appear on a real estate listing, or "man cave" - if equipped with large television, recliner and refrigerator. "Recreation room" might be used if big enough for a billiards or table tennis table. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Recreation room" might be used if big enough for a billiards or table tennis table. 

General term is “rec room”. “Recreation” is usually shortened to “rec” - the city-owned indoor sports complex is the “rec centre”.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I suspect they prefer terms like "dungeon".

Rumpus is more in the lines of "If you boys don't stop that rumpus right NOW! I'm going to tell your father when he gets home."  (Though the similar "ruckus" might be more likely in that admonition.

"Rumpus room" would be understood, but not used in the US. Terms like "bonus room" would appear on a real estate listing, or "man cave" - if equipped with large television, recliner and refrigerator. "Recreation room" might be used if big enough for a billiards or table tennis table. 

Yet in the given example, not one comment has been made about the model railway within it, just the room itself!

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yet in the given example, not one comment has been made about the model railway within it, just the room itself!

There weren't enough pictures of the layout - like there would be in a model railway magazine article so I didn't get much of a sense of how big it was, how big the room was, etc. No layout map. Single deck, double deck? etc.

(And I skimmed it.)

We are treated to a different perspective when we see a home layout review in a magazine - I'm used to regularly seeing big ones in Model Railroader.

I noted that he did a lot of scratch-building of rolling stock - which I would expect given the prototype - but I'm not familiar with it. Now if it had been in SE Queensland I would have paid much more attention to those details. 

I'm not sure what you were expecting posting it in this thread.

There are discussions on Australian modelling in the Overseas Prototype thread.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There weren't enough pictures of the layout - like there would be in a model railway magazine article so I didn't get much of a sense of how big it was, how big the room was, etc. No layout map. Single deck, double deck? etc.

(And I skimmed it.)

We are treated to a different perspective when we see a home layout review in a magazine - I'm used to regularly seeing big ones in Model Railroader.

I noted that he did a lot of scratch-building of rolling stock - which I would expect given the prototype - but I'm not familiar with it. Now if it had been in SE Queensland I would have paid much more attention to those details. 

I'm not sure what you were expecting posting it in this thread.

There are discussions on Australian modelling in the Overseas Prototype thread.

Oh, I agree that there should be more - but the purpose of posting it in 'Things that make you smile' thread was to get a bigger potential audience.

But all it attracted until you, was comments about 'a rumpus room'.

Obviously, yet another mistake of mine!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The first time I heard the phrase "Rumpus Room", was in a sketch called "Men`s Talk". It was performed by John Fortune and Alan Bennett at The Secret Policeman`s Othera Ball.

I have the LP featuring the sketch. along with many other artists. It was recorded in September 1981 at the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane London.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Rumpus Room?

There was a chain of bars called that. This one was in London, ISTR there was a few more dotted around the country.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d7340987-r622733453-12th_Knot-London_England.html

Quote from review:

it is very 'instagram-worthy' per say

"Instagram-worthy"🙂 

"per say"?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Here's a challenge for 3D printers. Recreate this scene outside your layout's supermarket. Yesterday I came across this very neat arc of trollies, forming a safety barrier beneath some loose slates on the front of our local Morrisons. It was chained to the railings at either end.

Danger falling tiles Seaford 26 5 2024.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 14

4 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Rishi.png.ea5416772f7ab1f91921e7882f582cf7.png

At the risk of being political, it sounds like chaotic thrashing around in a desperate attempt to avoid an electoral pasting. ‘Oh look there’s a straw, let’s grasp at it.’

steve 

steve

• Agree 14