The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I do think the Razzies has got this wrong and are increasingly becoming irrelevant. It used to be poking fun at big budget flops and hammy actors.

It was a film that was made to be "bad", not a normal film that is bad!

Same goes for Expend4bles. It's a spoof!

Makes a change from picking on kids and those with dementia I suppose.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

So says

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/mental-wellness-index-uk-miserable-nation/

I'm really miserable that we were beaten to first place by Uzbekistan in the overall rankings.

But we're top of the "% distressed/struggling".

Huzzah! Britain still leads the world in some things!

Original source = https://mentalstateoftheworld.report/2023_read/

I identify as Marvin

“The first ten million years were the worst, and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”

Marvin is obviously British. Perhaps even Scottish? Who knows? (we're all doomed anyway).

I'll be honest, I'm stuggling with a Scots Marvin.  'Brrane tha size 'o a planet, an a' they dae is ask me tae open duirrs.  Open tha duirr, Marrvin, shut tha duirr, Marrvin. O, waily waily, scrivens...' see, it starts off ok but then it goes all Mac Nac Feegle on you! Nae Quin!  We willnae be fooled agin!

• Funny 9

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Americans, they don't believe in seat belts!

Only in the future. In the present they (and things like airbags) have dramatically reduced motor collision deaths.

From here.

image.png.7254fef90c8ccfd7764e2fce4d8f3c4b.png

Not sure why the recent uptick in raw numbers. It had been going down pretty well since the 1970s.

Many automobile-related deaths locally are pedestrians and cyclists rather than drivers.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only in the future. In the present they (and things like airbags) have dramatically reduced motor collision deaths.

From here.

Not sure why the recent uptick in raw numbers. It had been going down pretty well since the 1970s.

Increase in cell phone use ??

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Increase in cell phone use ??

A NYT article suggests the following:

Smartphones aren’t the only likely cause of the trend, Emily, Ben and Josh write. The spread of legal marijuana may also play a role, as may the rise in opioid addiction. In one recent federal study, half of the drivers involved in serious accidents tested positive for at least one active drug.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Part of the articles states ,

Smartphones have also become ubiquitous in other countries, of course. But American drivers seem to be addicted to their phones in ways that drivers elsewhere are not. Surveys suggest Americans spend more time on their phones while driving than people do in other countries. In part, this phenomenon may reflect this country’s culture, which emphasizes professional success and immediate gratification.

It also partly reflects vehicle technology. Nearly all cars in the U.S. are automatic transmission, freeing drivers’ hands (or so they may think) to use phones. In Europe, almost 75 percent of cars still have gears that a driver must change manually.

---------------------------------

Another major difference is the roads themselves ,  the US has so many miles of multilane

freeways and just generally wider roads in general than a lot of Europe .

Also even in city's  the US is more spacious .Two examples , first Mankato USA , second Bristol UK .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.1726654,-93.9977062,3a,84.1y,213.46h,89.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1srmxAoRCc9Yys-NYtMz5Zdg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DrmxAoRCc9Yys-NYtMz5Zdg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D25.814072%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4528649,-2.5979137,3a,74.8y,23.95h,84.96t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFWvigVeDrh7j_xqXJ4IgYA!2e0!5s20121001T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Also even in city's  the US is more spacious .Two examples , first Mankato USA , second Bristol UK .

Bit of an apples/oranges comparison with those cities, but yes, lanes in the US are often wider. I think 12' is the minimum for the Interstates (3.6m) which is actually less than British motorways (3.65m).

And you don't see rock walls, building walls or hedges right up close to the edge of the pavement like you often see in the UK.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

From here.

Many automobile-related deaths locally are pedestrians and cyclists rather than drivers.

The Australian figures are going up since Covid too. It's considered that a lot of young people are not wearing seat belts. In fact they are closing the seat belt and sitting on them - to stop the beeping. FFS.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Airbags are not as good as seatbelts in protecting car occupants. A few months ago there was a program about police investigating fatal road accidents in Wales. In one incident a driver* had lost control and demolished a bus shelter and then hit a tree. He hadn't been wearing a seat belt and the airbag had deployed when he struck the bus shelter and when he hit the tree less than a second later it was deflated. 

*He was banned at the time and under the influence of drugs, fortunately there was no one waiting in the bus shelter.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The Australian figures are going up since Covid too. It's considered that a lot of young people are not wearing seat belts. In fact they are closing the seat belt and sitting on them - to stop the beeping. FFS.

There is nothing like hacking down lanes late at night after pub closing with a drunk strapped into back seat in a car built years before compulsory rear belts.

Means they overlook the rally exhaust system and 130w driving lamps. And the not hanging about.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 24/02/2024 at 07:40, billbedford said:

And there's the Richard Montgomery just off Sheerness 

And also The Castilian off the North Coast of Anglesey. I knew someone who dived it in the early 80s, before the exclusion zone was set up. He came up with a shell, and reasoned that the propellant would have lost its bang and so only the percussion cap would still be live. So, he thought the best way to make it safe was to half bury it point down in his garden and throw rocks at it until he set the cap off. Fortunately a neighbour spotted this and called 999. The police turned up with a bomb disposal unit from RAF Valley.

His first name was Ivor, so of course he was known as "Ivor the Diver". After this the nickname became "Ivor the Survivor".

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

They're out there!

Perhaps they've heard of a "bakers dozen", which is 13 (to account for short weight), and unaccountably rounded it up a bit...  🤪

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Didn't score well in his / her IQ tests...

This sort of thing is endemic. Just finished reading a well known evening paper and the sentence construction, punctuation and spelling left a lot to be desired. 

• Friendly/supportive 3