The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Would you rather it hadn't been found? 😉

Obviously not, but the OP seemed to be viewing it from a different angle.

There is nothing amusing about WW2 bombs being found. It‘s something that happens almost monthly here in this part of Germany.

Edited by Kylestrome
Correction of slight exaggeration ...
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

There is nothing amusing about WW2 bombs being found. It‘s something that happens almost weekly here in this part of Germany.

Many of us use this as just a free for all thread!

Rather pointless opening a new one for a single comment....

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

There is nothing amusing about WW2 bombs being found. It‘s something that happens almost weekly here in this part of Germany.

Nobody said it was amusing, just that it makes some of us smile.  Feel good/happy ending stories certainly do that for me.  Bomb safely defused.  Missing dog found.  Man rescued from Cliff Richard concert 😉

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

With the hundreds of thousands of bombs (maybe millions counting those from both sides) dropped in WW2, I am surprised that more are not still being found throughout the world.

EDIT: i see that they are after reading one of the above posts.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not just WW2.  The battlefields of WW1 are still producing crops of unexploded shells (from both sides) 106 years after the "war to end all wars" ended.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

WWII bomb found in Keyham!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-68354617

I wonder whether that was from the same plane that got 4911 Bowden Hall ....

RG049.jpg

spacer.png

https://www.olddevonport.uk/Railways-Keyham Station.htm

Jason

Local research suggests the one currently in the news was likely to have been dropped on 22nd/23rd April 1941, so about three weeks earlier than the one that got 4911.

Plymouth got a right plastering over quite a period and it's reckoned that up to one in twelve didn't detonate on the night, so there will still be plenty waiting to be found.

Thankfully, this one is on its way to be detonated out to sea.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'd book Fairport Convention...

Me too, especially then.   It was a long time later that I saw the surviving members but they were a great night out.

Edit - saying that, Steve Marriott on his own was pretty good, if I coud have afforded to pony up for the Small Faces, they'd have had a good chance of a booking as well.  

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not just WW2.  The battlefields of WW1 are still producing crops of unexploded shells (from both sides) 106 years after the "war to end all wars" ended.

The numbers quoted by a UXB officer a couple of days ago suggest there's a "shout" somewhere in the UK most days, on average.

Fortunately, few of them are half-ton HE monsters found in densely populated areas like Keyham that make the main national news. After the Exeter University one a while back, they won't have wanted to blow that up on site....

Small stuff like discarded grenades seem to crop up in our local news bulletins every couple of weeks and don't garner much comment. I'd think it's similar across much of the country.  

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd think it's similar across much of the country.  

Yes, there are quite a few inmates and parishioners of this forum that "tripped over" poorly hidden and/or forgotten war surplus. Either around Auxiliary Unit locations, or scattered along the coast.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

With the hundreds of thousands of bombs (maybe millions counting those from both sides) dropped in WW2, I am surprised that more are not still being found throughout the world.

Lest we forget Vietnam and Laos. More tonnage was dropped there than the entirety of WW2. Even if fusing was more reliable by then, a lot of it went into mud.

Here:

Between 1965 and 1975, the United States and its allies dropped more than 7.5 million tons of bombs on Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia—double the amount dropped on Europe and Asia during World War II. Pound for pound, it remains the largest aerial bombardment in human history.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

You can find all sorts of shells on the beach, you know…

Especially where there are or were firing ranges, so in my part of the world Pembrey, and the North Gower coastline, Pendine, Manorbier, and the seabed off Castlemartin ranges must be covered in unexploded ordnance.  People, and not just kids, pick them up, chuck them about, throw stones at them, won't leave them alone.  I leave them alone, but hiking on one occasion at Whiteford Point, North Gower, where the photogenic derelict lighthouse is, one of our party picked up a round he reckoned was from a howitzer, and was able to authoritatively state this because he’d been in the army.  You’d have thought the idiot would have known better; it was badly corroded, covered with barnacles, and probably harmless, but probably isn’t good enough for The Johnster, whose aversion to stuff that goes bang unexpectedly is legendary…

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1