The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just need that Gallagher bloke for Parker. Never seen them in the same place together so it does make you wonder.....

spacer.png

Parker's got a better voice............😄

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Blimey 6ft gauge tube trains now... 

I believe the Breitspurbahn was intended to work on a similar principle, a double track main line being available for 'normal' running after the ridiculous impractical bloated monster had passed (I mean the Breitspurbahn train, not Hitler, but the desccription works both ways...).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I believe the Breitspurbahn was intended to work on a similar principle, a double track main line being available for 'normal' running after the ridiculous impractical bloated monster had passed (I mean the Breitspurbahn train, not Hitler, but the desccription works both ways...).

His chum Goering had a posh train too as I recall..

Not to mention a massive, no expense spared, model railway at home.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Unfortunately, not too many photos of it still exist; if many were even taken. I have seen maybe one or two views.

That reminds me that I acquired an O scale German 1930's prototype passenger car that is decalled with "DEUTCHES X REICHSBAHN"* but has what look like PRR 2D-P5 refrigerator car trucks under it. Oddly, no one else bid on it so I got it real cheap! I wonder why? 😲

* The X represents the gammadion.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

The few photos I've seen show exactly what I imagined Hermann Goering's train set would look like; ordered symmetrical track layout, roadways all at dead right angles, set out on the floor with a control console on a raised lectern, so the operators' (over)view was that of a bomber, which he was familiar with from his WW1 career, or perhaps a god, looking down on little irrelevant people and ordering their world in a way that could not be challenged.  It seemed to be product of a mind obsessed with control and, uber alles, POWER!!!  Fits the high-ranking Nazi profile to a T.  He liked to show it off to his house guests, who mostly enjoyed it, or said they did...  Ridiculous impractical bloated monster is a pretty good description of 'Meier'. 

Built and installed for him by Marklin as a gift, IIRC.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The few photos I've seen show exactly what I imagined Hermann Goering's train set would look like

I'm not defending the individual, but that feels like you are projecting and I suspect that most customers of Frank Hornby's O gauge tinplate model railways of the 1930s looked quite similar - on a much smaller footprint.

Apparently the Reichsmarschall had two model railways - one in the basement and one in the attic from both Trix and Märklin. Images are easy to find on the web.

The 'state of the art' of British model railways of the period seems to be in vicarages - one of the few places where there might be enough room to break out of the roundy-roundy format. The 1930s magazine "Railway Wonders of the World" (I have my grandfathers set) has a couple of examples.

One by the Rev. Edward Beale.

Another by Rev. A. H. Webb.

I suspect these were quite remarkable in a time dominated by roundy-roundies. The magazine has far more examples of live steam 'miniature' railways than smaller scale 'model' railways as we know them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

* The X represents the gammadion.

You might be surprised by the number of swastikas in Asia. 

It's used as symbol to represent the creativity of God/good fortune/the universe, still

There are Red Swastika Schools in Hong Kong and Singapore.

And it's not unusual for statues and pictures of Buddha to show a swastika on his chest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

You might be surprised by the number of swastikas in Asia. 

It's used as symbol to represent the creativity of God/good fortune/the universe, still

There are Red Swastika Schools in Hong Kong and Singapore.

And it's not unusual for statues and pictures of Buddha to show a swastika on his chest.

In South Asia (India) those are reversed and it's quite offensive to compare them with the "German" version.

I know I was VERY surprised on my first trip to India and was quickly "educated", in a friendly way, by my hosts - who were obviously well used to the reaction from European visitors.

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, BoD said:

I have just tried  to log onto the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers website and ….

IMG_0380.jpeg.37e08a7fc0d82becac87ab95fd0a8a3d.jpeg

There aren't any, that I can see. and I know I won't be the only one on this forum dull enough to check...

(red-red-brown, 220 ohm)

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There aren't any, that I can see. and I know I won't be the only one on this forum dull enough to check...

(red-red-brown, 220 ohm)

I did have a little bet with myself that somebody would.  I've just won a tenner off myself... so, thank you.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7