The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

5 hours ago, RFS said:

This picture brought a smile to me as a retired IT pro. It's of a US Federal Data Centre in 1959 where records are being stored on punched cards. It's estimated the total data stored here is about 4.3 Gb - ie equal to a small (by today's standards already!) flash drive. The pallets contain around 27,000 boxes of cards, each box having 2000 cards with 80 bytes of data each. 

fr.jpg.a04cdbec03f20fa69dea5d61039b60af.jpg

Corporate (and individual programmers’) security blanket!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RFS said:

This picture brought a smile to me as a retired IT pro. It's of a US Federal Data Centre in 1959 where records are being stored on punched cards. It's estimated the total data stored here is about 4.3 Gb - ie equal to a small (by today's standards already!) flash drive. The pallets contain around 27,000 boxes of cards, each box having 2000 cards with 80 bytes of data each. 

and to think you can go onto any online store today and buy a 512GB microSD card - that's over 100 warehousefulls of punchcards, on a device the size of a fingernail...

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RFS said:

I want one - Actually I DONT!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I want one - Actually I DONT!

Transfer the cards to a USB stick and use the space for a model railway. Sorted.

Edited by ian
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

and to think you can go onto any online store today and buy a 512GB microSD card - that's over 100 warehousefulls of punchcards, on a device the size of a fingernail...

512GB?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-adapter-Performance/dp/B0B7NYN3N3?refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1609175031%2Cp_89%3ASanDisk

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Nick C said:

But the IBM cards were useful; as bookmarks, notepads, etc.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, RFS said:

Many years ago (mid 1970s) I managed a project to install a new general ledger system in a US multinational company operating in more than 100 countries.  The master copy of the chart of accounts was filed in 21 boxes of punch cards that I kept in my office.  How much power can one person have??

Those were the days - a bit later I carried a 29MByte single platter disk drive up a flight of stairs  It cost me over £200 in osteopath fees to be able to walk freely after my back was strained by the weight of the disk drive.

Our first GigaByte disk drives needed aircon and strengthened floors because of their power consumption and weight.

Stan

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I wonder what happens

I can easily imagine it would suck up all the noxious chemicals and emit them slowly over night as you are cuddled up inside your very own 4.5 tog funeral shroud...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 hours ago, Stanley Melrose said:

Our first GigaByte disk drives needed aircon

I remember the water-cooled IBM mainframes of the '70s and '80s. 

I never used punch cards. I got into the IT industry when the state-of-the-art storage medium was an 8" floppy disc. Then along came 5 1/4". We had a new customer whose hardware was all based around 5 1/4", but our development system was 8". So, when I was developing software I had to copy it onto 8", walk 50 yards through the office to a machine with dual drives, copy it from 8" to 5 1/4", walk 50 yards back to my desk and copy it onto the customer's 5 1/4" test system. To actually get the software to the customer we arranged for a courier to take the disks with the latest release to the client. By modern software, comms and storage standards that seems like sitting in a cave banging rocks together.

Copying software to a floppy to pass it to another developer was known as "Frizbeenet".

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CameronL said:

...snip... the state-of-the-art storage medium was an 8" floppy disc ...snip...

I was given a new, never-been-raced 8" floppy drive; the darn thing is bigger than some of the latest laptops. It came with a control card but I never did anything with it as I was never able to source any 8" floppies. I still have it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, CameronL said:

... copy it onto the customer's 5 1/4" test system. To actually get the software to the customer we arranged for a courier to take the disks with the latest release to the client.

Oh, that brings back memories. 😀

We had one particularly awkward customer that always wanted the very latest version of our software immediately. And complained bitterly if there was any delay. Usually we sent it by Recorded Delivery. But one 31th March, we hit upon a Cunning Plan, and sent this fax at one minute past midnight. Note the importance of the timing!

image.png.181807ac7887c7f16d2545bbf71d9f11.png

But the joke backfired. The next day, we had a phone call saying it hadn't worked, and now they couldn't get it out of the floppy drive. Oops! 🤕

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Oh, that brings back memories. 😀

We had one particularly awkward customer that always wanted the very latest version of our software immediately. And complained bitterly if there was any delay. Usually we sent it by Recorded Delivery. But one 31th March, we hit upon a Cunning Plan, and sent this fax at one minute past midnight. Note the importance of the timing!

image.png.181807ac7887c7f16d2545bbf71d9f11.png

But the joke backfired. The next day, we had a phone call saying it hadn't worked, and now they couldn't get it out of the floppy drive. Oops! 🤕

Obviously the types who NEVER rtfm....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

sent this fax

People vastly overestimate the power of the fax machine. I worked for a time for a company who sold very high-end software to very large organisations. One of our customers was the Ministry of Defence - well, part of it because the MoD at the time was a very compartmentalised organisation. 

We were trying to spread our software to other bits of the MoD, and the account manager thought that a demonstration with live data would be a good idea. However, getting the live data at really short notice was a problem, because the MoD drone providing it didn't want to fax it (this was long before the Internet and emails). 

But, after several phone calls saying how essential this data was the MoD drone hit upon a solution that kept her happy.

She put the data in an envelope and faxed the envelope to us.

I did not feel comforted that the defence of the realm was in the hands of such people at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Whilst working in support for accounting software back in the floppy era we would often ask the user for a copy of their data so that we could attempt to reproduce the problem on our system. One of the team asked a user to send them a copy of their data disk - and yes the disk mailer that arrived special delivery next day contained a neatly folded A4 sheet - a photocopy of the disk.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CameronL said:

But, after several phone calls saying how essential this data was the MoD drone hit upon a solution that kept her happy.

She put the data in an envelope and faxed the envelope to us.

I did not feel comforted that the defence of the realm was in the hands of such people at all.

At least the data didn't fall into enemy hands.

AKA a modern version of Dad's Army - Don't tell him, Pyke!

• Like 3