The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Ok, challenge accepted, won't look anything up I promise, from memory:-

William  (The B*stard/Conqueror)

William 2 (Rufus)

Henry

Stephen

Henry 2

Richard  (Couer de Lion)

John (Lackland)

Henry 3

Edward  (Longshanks)

Edward 2

Edward 3

Richard 2

Henry 4 (Bolingbroke)

Henry 5 (Monmouth)

Henry 6

Edward 4/Richard 2 (Wars of the Roses)

Edward V (Princes in Tower, disappeared

Richard 3 (Crookback Dick)

Henry 7

Henry 8

Mary (Bloody)

Elizabeth (Gloriana)

James (6 of Scotland)

Charles

Commonwealth interregnum

Charles 2

James 2

William 1 (of Orange)/Mary 2 jointly

George (of Hanover)

George 2

George 3 (Mad)

George 4

Victoria

Edward 7

George 5

Edward 8 (succeeded but not crowned, abdicated)

George 6

Elizabeth 2

Charles 3

Oh, and Louis, Dauphin of France was declared King of England by the Barons in 1216 because John Lackland had been excommunicated and was thus disbarred from the throne in their opinion.  Louis was given a coronation in Westminster Abbey, annointed with the holy oil, and accepted by the Church, which makes him a King of England in anyone's book. When John died, the Barons' allegience immedieately switched to his heir, Henry 3, who was a minor.  With no support from the Barons, Louis quietly left the country: England was then ruled (until Henry asserted his authority at 16 years of age) by a council of advisors, effectively John of Guant. 

If we are including Louis, we should probably included Lady Jane Grey, who was declared Queen for a brief time.  She was only 16, and the victim of manipulative forces, many of whom rightly paid the same price as she did.  It is difficult not to feel sorry for her, and there was no dignity or nobility to her death, only a teenager brutally slaughtered in pain and terror.

Also, for a period of some five years in the 17th century, a fully territorial part of England, Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel, was under the cresent flag of Islam and the rule of Jan Janzoon, a Dutch pirate who had convereted to Islam and was at that time the Admiral of the Corsairs of Sale (the one in Morocco not the one in Cheshire).  The Marisco ('Moorisco') family who lived on the island for many years and for whom the Marisco Tavern, the pub on the island, is named, established themselves there at this time and on several occasions attempted to claim sovereignty.  They were much involved in smuggling activities for  centuries.  Lundy was the source of another semi-serious Sovereignty claim early in the 20th century.

Don't think I've left anyone out, except of course myself.  It was all covered up of course but there was this terrible mistake in the nursing home when I was born and I was sent home with the wrong parents.  Any of my ex-bosses will confirm that I am naturally suited to a life of complete idleness, privilege, and luxury, and I consider that I posess the natural, effortless, superiority that one of true blue blood always displays.  Kneel, peasants, before your true King...

I will treat my subjects with kindness and generosity.   At first...

Does the Principality of Sealand count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

They even have their own website:- https://sealandgov.org/

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You forgot a William.

William IV preceded Victoria. (It's when many railways started)

William III (Orange) was with Mary II, The Conqueror & his 3rd Son were I & II

I couldn't get anywhere near doing a list as I never learnt them but I do remember some for various reasons

I can never remember the sequence between William (II) Rufus and Richard III though I do know that Richard Cour de Leon was after the Williams and Henry V must have been preceded by the multi-part Henry IV...

I can then trot through the Tudor,Stuart and Hanoverian gang quite handily, which reminds me, Edward VI appears to be missing, a sickly youth between Henry VIII and Mary (Bloody)

You see, if you think in Roman, the gaps start to show up.  Unless they're the ruddy boring Angevians/Plantagenets...

And perhaps for completeness, it should be George III (Mad)/ The Prince Regent.

This is beginning to sound like 1066 and All That ...

Edited by Hroth
Another Thort or Two
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

You have a memory for the rather irrelevant. Personally I have trouble remembering what I just had for lunch!

Yeah, it’s important stuff I can’t remember!  

If it’s any consolation I can’t remember what you just had for lunch either…

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You forgot a William.

William IV preceded Victoria. (It's when many railways started)

William III (Orange) was with Mary II, The Conqueror & his 3rd Son were I & II

I couldn't get anywhere near doing a list as I never learnt them but I do remember some for various reasons

And Edward VI and Lady Jane Grey!*

*Who was a legitimate monarch as the highest "legitimate" protestant royal being a direct descendant of Henry VII. Both Mary and Elizabeth had been removed from the line of succession.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Billy 4, of course.  I rather like him, genial sort  sort of duffer, used to sit by an open window on the ground floor of the half-complete Buckingham Palace, no railings them, and share his breakfast with passers-by.  Nice story about him, when G4 died in the middle of the night, the prime minister, one of the Pitts IIRC, went around to Clarence House to inform him, knocked on the door, and William stuck his head out a window.  ‘The King is dead, your majesty’.  William started to go back inside, and Pitt, expecting a longer conversation, said ‘Your Majesty, where are you going?’  ‘Back to bed to f*ck the Queen of England’!

If that isn’t true, it’s a shame and the world is a poorer place for it. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Billy 4, of course.  I rather like him, genial sort  sort of duffer, used to sit by an open window on the ground floor of the half-complete Buckingham Palace, no railings them, and share his breakfast with passers-by.  Nice story about him, when G4 died in the middle of the night, the prime minister, one of the Pitts IIRC, went around to Clarence House to inform him, knocked on the door, and William stuck his head out a window.  ‘The King is dead, your majesty’.  William started to go back inside, and Pitt, expecting a longer conversation, said ‘Your Majesty, where are you going?’  ‘Back to bed to f*ck the Queen of England’!

If that isn’t true, it’s a shame and the world is a poorer place for it. 

All I know of Billy IV is that a song about him was mentioned in Tom Browns Schooldays concerning a reduction of excise duty on beer during his reign...

Now thats something to be remembered for!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I get the pun. It's not invisible.

I'm posting this for the funny content , not as political comment .

2nd paragraph .

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/trump-genuinely-seems-believe-f-35s-are-literally-invisible-n1131361

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Where's Queen Matilda?

Now, don’t start all that again!  God and all his angels slept, you know….  And she would have been mortified to be described as a mere queen; she was an Empress, a Holy Roman one at that, and never let anyone forget it!

• Like 3

Well, that's a bit of a coincidence, just got this.....

Great news! Your Coronation of His Majesty the King, Class 66, 06523 'King Charles III' - Club Exclusive pre-order has arrived at our warehouse and will shortly be prepared for dispatch.

Order number:
Product: R30238TXS – Coronation of His Majesty the King, Class 66, 06523 'King Charles III' - Club Exclusive

Only bought it as a giggle. Got it on discount and will also get loads of those Hobby Points to spend on something else.

Also a reasonably priced way of trying out the TXS sound.

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I get the pun. It's not invisible. "Stealth" pertains only to its RADAR profile and while I don't know their protocols but wouldn't be surprised that transponders would be 'on' in a populated area and relatively busy general aviation airspace.

AIUI one of the earlier reports said the transponder wasn't working.  A complete no-no for civil traffic but the military are exempt from such things even in civil areas?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well, that's a bit of a coincidence, just got this.....

Only bought it as a giggle. Got it on discount and will also get loads of those Hobby Points to spend on something else.

Also a reasonably priced way of trying out the TXS sound.

Snap! 😀

It'll be a bit of a buggr if the TXS chip is filled up with "God Save The King", if so the dilemma will be whether to leave it as original, or just copy the standard 66 TXS sound project over it...

Edited by Hroth
A little bit more
  • Like 2

Re Kings - I used to be able to rattle off the GWR King names in order thanks to some cajoling from one of our old roster clerks at Old Oak, who religiously photographed each one when they came on shed) likewise all the other GWR 4-6-0s that appeared while he was there. Can't do it now, but I can still rattle off the Warship and Western names easily enough!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Guy in my old club used to be able to do all the Castles, in number order, Halls as well.  Phil the Undertaker, worked for a local funeral director's and had the lubugrious expression to go with it; he looked like a vulture.  Heavy drinker, probably the job, and a very funny man.  He had a falling out with another member, a bricklayer who built him a garage that wasn't up to spec.  'I'll get my own back, don't worry.  I'll build the 'stard a leaky coffin'.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4