The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

On 26/04/2023 at 02:57, PeterStiles said:

I keep wanting to put pictures of this

on this wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson's_gazelle

4 hours ago, andytrains said:

Go on, do it!

There are a number of places where it makes sense and would be truly helpful:

This article is about the antelope species. For other uses, see Gazelle (disambiguation)

There is actually one reference there for the "South Devon Eagle class"

• Gazelle (SG 364 of 1859); GWR no. 2110; withdrawn 1865 / Named after the swift animal, gazelle.

The Gazelle (disambiguation) page could use a link to the B1 page.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Gazelle (disambiguation) page could use a link to the B1 page.

Yes, it could, and i'd happily let you do it, because I fear the wrath of the Wiki moderators even more than the RMWeb members of the species....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Amtrak really laying on the facilities at this station (Benson Arizona)🙂

"Benson, Arizona, you always wore your hair,

My body flies the galaxy, my heart longs to be there..."

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

The flag seems well back, like it belongs to the grey structure above the front of the car. Almost looks like a memorial.

I am sure that it is; the black flag is the POW/MIA Memorial Flag.

image.png.ff8512e8da66eaab5929185e2d09f1ba.png

https://powmiamemorial.org/education/pow-mia-history/history-of-the-pow-mia-flag/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The flag seems well back, like it belongs to the grey structure above the front of the car. Almost looks like a memorial.

The flagpole has nothing to do with the station. It is a veteran's memorial, adjacent to the 'car park' at the station.

I presume you are just kidding around with the references to the flagpole and a "flag stop".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Public asked to shout out allegiance to King Charles III during Coronation

Apparently, during the coronation,,the Archbish of Canterbury will proclaim “God Save The King”, with the nation then responding: “God Save King Charles. Long Live King Charles. May The King live for ever.” like the good little subjects that we are.

This is made possible by the immediacy of modern technology and a live broadcast.

Mind you modern technology is a double-edged sword. There's still time for a counter-campaign encouraging people to stand on their front doorsteps and, at the appropriate moment shout: "B0ll0cks to Charlie."

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

9 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Apparently, during the coronation,,the Archbish of Canterbury will proclaim “God Save The King”, with the nation then responding: “God Save King Charles. Long Live King Charles. May The King live for ever.” like the good little subjects that we are.

This is made possible by the immediacy of modern technology and a live broadcast.

Mind you modern technology is a double-edged sword. There's still time for a counter-campaign encouraging people to stand on their front doorsteps and, at the appropriate moment shout: "B0ll0cks to Charlie."

Do what you like, its just audience participation.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Can we please replace the whole shebang with some farcical aquatic ceremony?

Andi

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I hear that the band "Kansas" are a late addition to the evening's entertainment, as with Harry now attending, a rendition of "Carry on my Wayward Son" would be most appropriate.

Jim

If the rumours about James Hewitt are true they could get Genesis to sing "No Son Of Mine."

• Funny 3

10 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Can we please replace the whole shebang with some farcical aquatic ceremony?

Andi

To quote Dennis: "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

These days Health and Safety wouldn't allow it either.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3