The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Awww, the poor soul, my heart pumps purple panther p!$$ for him:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/man-who-moved-near-train-tracks-complains-to-train-companies-about-train-noises/ar-AA15KlN3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=73eeda2995374757989f6f0acecb17c3

But, does he take the train to London daily where he works? 🙀

Couldn't have happened to a more worthy person!

A good thing he didn't select a property close to the bells of the parish church...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m amazed* by the number of people who move to the country and suddenly develop an acute sense of smell.

Diesel fumes, petrol fumes, smoke and other obnoxious smells?  Nah, can’t smell them.

First strange natural smell?  That’s awful. Overpowering.

They will soon grow accustomed - as this chap will to the noise.

*I should have said it makes me smile ….  just to avoid thread drift.

• Like 3

I've got striking (and I mean proper clockwork ones) clocks in several rooms in the house, they're not what you'd call quiet and I often don't register that they've struck even if I'm in the same room.  Even the mantleclock in the bedroom...

Visitors ask, how can you put up with the noise?

What noise? Your brain soon tunes it out...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Not too sure Mrs NB would appreciate one of these

1634713620_WhatsAppImage2022-12-28at21_11_20.jpg.ef46c323bacc18ebb55b67fdd7a238c0.jpg

The problem with one of those is that it advertises that you are interested in railways and that you might have model trains worth stealing.

Otherwise....

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The problem with one of those is that it advertises that you are interested in railways and that you might have model trains worth stealing.

Otherwise....

Nah - it's a deterrent.

"He likes 142's  - not worth messing around with him."

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

And one's nose does too. I once visited a friend that lived in a paper mill town, I asked him how you could stand the smell. "What smell?". A couple of days later even I did not notice it.

Apparently, my nose doesn't work. I can't smell Stinking Bishop cheese (my sister had bought me some for Christmas as I'd never had it before), and I know (from Wallace & Gromit) that it's a very stinky cheese. I tried some French Brie yesterday too, and I couldn't smell that either, but I'm sure I've caught a whiff off it in the past. both tasted nice though, very delicate taste.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Awww, the poor soul, my heart pumps purple panther p!$$ for him:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/man-who-moved-near-train-tracks-complains-to-train-companies-about-train-noises/ar-AA15KlN3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=73eeda2995374757989f6f0acecb17c3

But, does he take the train to London daily where he works? 🙀

There's a whole topic on that:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

There's a whole topic on that:

It works the other way as well; an ex who moved in with me (Brian Rolley will remember her, little Karen) had lived all of her 31 years with her parents in Railway Street, Splott, in a house backing on to the SWML.  For several weeks she found it hard to get to sleep at mine because of the lack of train noises.  

Got invited over for Sunday dinner at the parents just after we decided she should move in, and as I was some 25 years older than her I was expecting a bit of tension.   Meal over, l’il K disappears into the kitchen with mum to help with the washing up and I’m left alone in the front room with her dad, same age as me.  Here we go, I thought. 

‘She’s my only daughter, my little Princess’ he says, ‘so you understand how I feel, don’t you?’ (Johnster makes appropriate noises).  ‘I mean, it’s a big age gap and it’s been quite quick’ (more noises, hopefully re-assuring).  ‘Please, please, it’s been 31 years and me & the missis need a break, please, for the love of god, take her off our hands!!!’.  

Bl**dy wind-up merchant, walked straight into it, didn’t I!  

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

On 28/12/2022 at 22:09, newbryford said:

Nah - it's a deterrent.

"He likes 142's  - not worth messing around with him."

There might be a demand for DMU based planters, perhaps Bachmann or Hornby could look into producing some for next Christmas!

Heljan could do some based on Pilot Scheme locos...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

There might be a demand for DMU based planters, perhaps Bachmann or Hornby could look into producing some for next Christmas!

Heljan could do some based on Pilot Scheme locos...

But they would be at least twice the cost of Bachmann's version! And probably not that much better.

• Like 1