The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

28 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Apparently,  every year in Dresden they have the Dresden Stollen Festival.

"The cake weighs between three and four tonnes. A carriage takes the cake in a parade through the streets of Dresden to the Christmas market, where it is ceremoniously cut into pieces and distributed among the crowd, for a small sum which goes to charity."

Seems like a lot of fuss for a bakery item.

Germany gave us the Christmas Tree.  Maybe cake festivals are a tradition we could adopt. Residents of Eccles, Bath and Bakewell take note...

Nah.

Someone with a name like Cameron needs to see the fuss those North of the Border make about offal!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_supper

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CameronL said:

Apparently,  every year in Dresden they have the Dresden Stollen Festival.

Every year Melmerby has a Stollen festival, which are supplied by the local Aldi👍🏻

• Like 3

Apologies it's in The Wail, but as someone who spent over thirty years in print (including the inevitable pub conversations on the feasibility of, ahem, "inspired by the Royal Mint" paperwork) and having been familiar with English regional accents, I did have to pick my tits up off the floor at this one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11412677/Geordie-conman-caught-carrying-counterfeit-money-twenty-poond-printed-them.html

C6T.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Apologies it's in The Wail, but as someone who spent over thirty years in print (including the inevitable pub conversations on the feasibility of, ahem, "inspired by the Royal Mint" paperwork) and having been familiar with English regional accents, I did have to pick my tits up off the floor at this one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11412677/Geordie-conman-caught-carrying-counterfeit-money-twenty-poond-printed-them.html

C6T.

The expert from the Bank of England who declared them fake, must of had an easy job of it!

A good few years ago, the Haggis was a regular appearance at New Year.  When my daughter was about 6 yrs old we bought one from the NAAFI, which seemed to be from a good maker.  After suitable time in the steamer, it was hauled out and placed, ready to carve on a carving board.  It must have had a really thick stomach and kept the pressure inside it.  The first stroke of the knife caused a pretty fierce explosion and she ended up wearing a large percentage of the contents, as she had been standing close, to see what the contents looked like.  Fortunately it was spread out and cooled very rapidly, preventing what might have been some unpleasant burns.  She did see the funny side, after the initial shock had calmed down.....  😱

The substituted Bacon and Eggs, went down well, too.    😆

Edited by jcredfer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4