The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Hmmmmmm....

In my view "Will buying some new stock make me feel happy" is incorrectly terminated. There should be a "No" exit that feeds into "Delay - as short as possible" as you must consider that you might, at that precise moment, not be made happy by buying some new stock.

I cannot imagine any situation in which I would not be made happy buying some new stock, unless it older tooling Dapol...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A key problem in systems analysis, you think that all possibilities have been covered and the processes completely mapped, but when you did your investigation, Old Bill, who sits at the far desk was on holiday and his contribution to the process completely negates what everyone else in the office thinks they are trying to achieve....

It’s similar to foolproof as you should never underestimate their ingenuity!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, big jim said:

348E9AE2-35AE-40F1-A51A-17844774DD90.jpeg.8c0703d54b6e059abdc998b45ed84c6f.jpeg

Many years ago when I was an alarm engineer I used to look after a system in a house owned by three elderly sisters. 

In a not particularly good area of town they obviously had quite a bit of money,  running a dance school in the city so although the outside of the house fitted with it's neighbours the interior was somewhat better. 

The house was full of these kind of dolls, every room apart from the kitchen, there must have been several hundred, all custom made.

I overheard one of the sisters discussing their latest purchase with, I presume, the maker one day. The price under discussion was around £350, this being over 30 years ago.

I always wondered what happened to the collection as far as I know there were no relatives to pass it on to.

Walking around the house testing the alarm always reminded me of this.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago, went to visit one of my then girlfriend’s chums house on xmas day, and her little girl was proudly showing me the new dolly Santa had brought her.  It had natural-feeling and warm skin, breathed with an expanding and contracting chest,  and did the usual party tricks; wet itself, cried, giggled when you tickled it’s tummy, all of which was very impressive, but it had a beating heart, and pulses you could check in it’s wrists and neck.  Burn it, burn it now with fire, send it back to hell, it is unholy, burn it!!! 

It was one of the most disturbing and unpleasant things I have ever handled. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Some years ago, went to visit one of my then girlfriend’s chums house on xmas day, and her little girl was proudly showing me the new dolly Santa had brought her.  It had natural-feeling and warm skin, breathed with an expanding and contracting chest,  and did the usual party tricks; wet itself, cried, giggled when you tickled it’s tummy, all of which was very impressive, but it had a beating heart, and pulses you could check in it’s wrists and neck.  Burn it, burn it now with fire, send it back to hell, it is unholy, burn it!!! 

You watched too many Halloween films on the telly over the weekend?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My wife was once given a collection of expensive Reborn dolls to sell in the charity shop in which she in involved.

They are, amongst other things, regarded as very therapeutic for families who have lost a baby. However, I found them very creepy and couldn't wait to get them out of the house.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

My wife was once given a collection of expensive Reborn dolls to sell in the charity shop in which she in involved.

They are, amongst other things, regarded as very therapeutic for families who have lost a baby. However, I found them very creepy and couldn't wait to get them out of the house.

My wife has one, quite unsettling when delivered with a plastic bag over its head.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Dolls?

Try the creepy doll shop in Chester. Never seen it open.....

spacer.png

The ones behind the wired window must be especially dangerous...

On a whim, I googled them.  Their opening times are

Hours:

Thursday     Closed

Friday          1:30–5:30pm

Saturday     1:30–5:30pm

Sunday        Closed

Monday       Closed

Tuesday       Closed

Wednesday Closed

Its amazing that they can afford the rent on those opening times!  I suppose they are house clearance and auction sharks, the Dolls are just a hobby...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

...and then we go and scatter little bodies all over our layouts...

And cut them in half so they can sit in coaches or loco cabs…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

The ones behind the wired window must be especially dangerous...

On a whim, I googled them.  Their opening times are

Hours:

Thursday     Closed

Friday          1:30–5:30pm

Saturday     1:30–5:30pm

Sunday        Closed

Monday       Closed

Tuesday       Closed

Wednesday Closed

Its amazing that they can afford the rent on those opening times!  I suppose they are house clearance and auction sharks, the Dolls are just a hobby...

I believe it's an eccentric old woman and its run more along the lines of a dolls hospital.

I think you can make appointments to visit at other times.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

I believe it's an eccentric old woman and its run more along the lines of a dolls hospital.

I think you can make appointments to visit at other times.

It’s not Joy Aston from psychoville is it? 

198CEA81-9294-4EF7-8610-504FB97B021F.jpeg.dca6956e063e56b1942d246a16cf89a3.jpeg

• Like 1