The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

18 hours ago, newbryford said:

But some people are right - and offensive.................

🙃

Indeed so, just as there are those whose communication skills include being right and polite...   there are associated benefits to this, too.

• Agree 1

Speaking of planes, went to Scarborough Armed Forces Day yesterday and saw the Red Arrows, one of the BBMF'S Spitfires and Hurricanes, a Seafire and a few helicopters.

Red Arrows 

VID_20220625_130136_exported_1195.thumb.jpg.f17396c92decbf997b7638078f1fbeee.jpg

VID_20220625_130911_exported_20877.thumb.jpg.a0099b3a972f56b6051ec769c7764bb8.jpg

IMG_20220625_131450_262.thumb.jpg.2041d19a0fe5d450b4d74c16e98f5ba7.jpg

BBMF Hurricane 

VID_20220625_140307_exported_0.thumb.jpg.1a2a86491f251bfd04e3087ef5f0c658.jpg

Wildcat

IMG_20220625_143409_931.thumb.jpg.12f43cb110e743714f6531768870707b.jpg

Navy Wings Seafire

VID_20220625_153315_exported_73441.thumb.jpg.f2ccd9a90e5b2c5dbb4fd186fe47b0c8.jpg

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

I love the seagull joining in on your red arrows pic

image.png

Ah yes. The classic seagull photo bomb. 🤡

The place was surrounded by them. Everywhere you looked, all you could see were gulls. When the Spitfire and Hurricane came, I couldn't tell where the planes actually were cos of them.

It was hard to spot them when they were flying over the harbour and beach cos they were high up. (The planes, not the seagulls)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

I love the seagull joining in on your red arrows pic

image.png

You wouldn't want to be beneath it when it starts to "jet colour"...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

There is an aircraft Hawker (the company that also built the Hurricane) built called the Typhoon. This is the plane mentioned in this letter not the modern Eurofighter Typhoon.

The date of 1944 sort of gave that away .   😆

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

There is an aircraft Hawker (the company that also built the Hurricane) built called the Typhoon. This is the plane mentioned in this letter not the modern Eurofighter Typhoon.

Hawker made a number of well-regarded fighters during WW2.

Their next type was the Tempest , which was described as "A Tiffy (Typhoon) with the bugs ironed out". The Tempest was such an effective fighter that it could take on V1 flying bombs in flight.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My old headmaster flew one, a ground attack support plane that would shoot up anything it could find on the roads and railways of France in late 1944 and into 45.  I believe one was responsible for injuring Erwin Rommel, and there was speculation at school that Mr Griffiths, our headmaster, was the pilot and that this was how he'd got his DFC.  The thing was pretty fast and armed with guns, rockets, and bombs.  It could outclimb an FW 190 apparently.

Old Bob, as we would never have called him in his earshot though I heard teachers using the nickname, had deteriorated a bit since his glory days and who am I to criticise him for that!  He was overweight and a heavy smoker, pipe man, who would take ages to lumber up the stairs to the assembly hall in the morning and several red-faced minutes to get his breath back.  There was no way he'd have ever got into the cockpit of his Typhoon when we knew him!  His utterings were performed with great gravitas, in a Churchillian style, and on one famous occasion he announced with great seriousness that, 'yesterday, boys, I was approached by a 5th form girl' (the girls' school was next door).  That was as far as he got, as the hall erupted into cheering, cat calls, and various other joyful support, including from the teachers.   Old Bob simply shook his head and faceplanted; he knew when he'd been beaten...

He once told me 'Richards, you'll never get anywhere with that attitude, boy', and he was right, of course, not that I could do much about it because that's how I roll...  I made him an Airfix Typhoon as a leaving present, and I don't think he was much impressed.

The later marks of Spitfires could catch up with a V1 as well, and tip it's wings so that it veered off course out to sea, as could P38 Mustangs

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

...snip...The later marks of Spitfires could catch up with a V1 as well, and tip it's wings so that it veered off course out to sea, as could P38 Mustangs

Mustangs were/are P51s

Lightnings were/are P38s

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mustangs were/are P51s

Lightnings were/are P38s

That's what you get when you give things code numbers rather than sensible names!  It was bad enough that the LNER used V1s and V2s...

The GWR got away with it because they called locos with 2-6-2 wheel arrangements Small and Large Prairies!

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mustangs were/are P51s

Lightnings were/are P38s

These are Lightnings...... albeit replicas

Gate Guardians at BAE Samlesbury

(flickr pics)

'XS921' English Electric Lightning F6 (Replica)  & F35 (Replica)

Lightnings at BAe Samlesbury

Many EE Lightnings were built there. The current factory makes bits for F35s

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My old headmaster flew one, a ground attack support plane that would shoot up anything it could find on the roads and railways of France in late 1944 and into 45.  I believe one was responsible for injuring Erwin Rommel, and there was speculation at school that Mr Griffiths, our headmaster, was the pilot and that this was how he'd got his DFC. 

It so happened that I was looking up Rommel's entry in Wikipedia last night (honestly!). Here's what it says about the pilot of the Allied aircraft that strafed Rommel's car:

"... a fighter plane piloted by either Charley Fox of 412 Squadron RCAF,[242] Jacques Remlinger of No. 602 Squadron RAF,[243][244] or Johannes Jacobus le Roux of No. 602 Squadron RAF[245] strafed his staff car near Sainte-Foy-de-Montgommery ..."

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Not Old Bob, then!  He never talked a out his wartime experiences, and it would not have been appropriate to push the matter.  He kept the DFC on display in his office though, and wore it in assembly on Remembrance Day, so he was proud of it. 

• Like 4