The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

In reality the WWII bomber was one of the ones that were found in Greenland.

What was it doing on the moon then?

• Funny 1

On 06/07/2021 at 08:33, DavidB-AU said:

Dave Callan does a nutter routine. The short version: there's always one nutter on the bus/train. If you can't work out who it is, it's you.

As the designated shopper in the B household, I used to notice that every supermarket contained, at any one time, at least one old guy who shuffled around grumbling and swearing to himself. Then, for some time, I didn't seem to see such folk anything like  as often. It puzzled me until, a year or so ago, I realised why.:lol:

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Osgood said:

But do you remember the headline a few weeks later - there can't have been much news around that day.......

1651150753_BomberVanishes.jpg.e10273cdf4acc34ba7aabd379affb72e.jpg

After reading that headline, how many got out their telescopes to check to make sure there was no WW2 bomber on the Moon?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, CameronL said:

2106611445_IMG-20210711-WA00002.jpg.dfd05f0176a995ece95e0ba80b331d41.jpg

Let's hope that after the match nobody has any reason to say "Did you keep the receipt?"

???? BTW, that license plate on the reddish-brown car almost looks like a Florida plate.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

???? BTW, that license plate on the reddish-brown car almost looks like a Florida plate.

Ikea have stores in the U.S., and this is undoubtedly a photoshop of Southgate against a pic of an Ikea store, so it could be a Florida (or some other U.S. state) plate.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

8 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

... it could be a Florida (or some other U.S. state) plate.

To my eye it is almost certainly an Oregon plate. Suggesting this location near the airport.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I know I've put this in the "Things that make you :)" topic, but it reminds me too much of experiences while working. Hands up all those who recognise management/clients they have known.

IMG_0448.jpg.208696bdd2ecefc3bc97b360296945b4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

In the 1990s I worked for a company which provided the forerunner to present-day enterprise systems. We had a seminar lunch for prospective clients at the Liberal Club in London. After the presentations a cocky so-and-so approached me and said "Good stuff. But why should I bother with you? Why shouldn't I just get a set of development tools and use my in-house resources to do it for myself?"

What he didn't know was that I was going through a bad bout of food poisoning and things like tact and diplomacy had taken the day off. 

"You could do that," I replied. "But what you've just seen has been under continuous development for several years by a large team of programmers led by the man who is widely regarded as the "father" of this class of systems. If you try to replicate that it will cost you more, take longer and won't work as well."

To say he looked surprised would be an understatement. I don't remember his company ever buying our software, but he came across as a complete tyre-kicker anyway.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5