The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PatB said:

Reading some of the reasons for rejection has bent the needle on my irony meter. 

Even though I don't know the nuances of Australian religious legalities, it was the same for me.

I hope some of the "proper" approved religions don't have to re-apply, there'll not be many, if any, left if they do!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

FE4D4626-181D-4C47-AD3A-CBB9874B09CA.jpeg.f4f92646bddca0ca760aa21d55a72dff.jpeg

Is that the same as “Bewitched, bothered and bewildered”?

Cheers

Darius

:offtopic:

Talking of bewitched, the French language couldn't cope with the play on words for the tv series Bewitched with the late Elizabeth Montgomery.  They had to call it ma sorcière bien aimée (my well loved sorceress/witch).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

:offtopic:

Talking of bewitched, the French language couldn't cope with the play on words for the tv series Bewitched with the late Elizabeth Montgomery.  They had to call it ma sorcière bien aimée (my well loved sorceress/witch).

So the French don’t have a word for it…

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

FE4D4626-181D-4C47-AD3A-CBB9874B09CA.jpeg.f4f92646bddca0ca760aa21d55a72dff.jpeg

Is that the same as “Bewitched, bothered and bewildered”?

Cheers

Darius

No. "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" were three of the names that didn't make Walt Disney's shortlist for the Seven Dwarves.

• Funny 3

5 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

FB_IMG_1624158531096.jpg.a4dd50808b22b879773115fa1156629f.jpg

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that we have an ageing monarch, a rather unpopular heir to the throne, followed in line by two estranged brothers, one of whom is living in exile and attempting to build a following? And we've not had a decent war of succession for centuries. If the media play it right it'll be a licence to print money for decades. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that we have an ageing monarch, a rather unpopular heir to the throne, followed in line by two estranged brothers, one of whom is living in exile and attempting to build a following? And we've not had a decent war of succession for centuries. If the media play it right it'll be a licence to print money for decades. 

But the two brothers are NOT in line, they are separated by Prince William's 3 children (plus any more and any of their descendants), which is why Meghan has made such a dreadful mistake of thinking her husband, will one day be King.

There would need to be a series of major disasters in the line for that to occur.

Not that I think that Prince Charles, is as unpopular as he once was.

More gory details here.

https://www.royal.uk/succession

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Harry should have paid attention to how his his uncle Edward behaved, who became semi-detatched from the Royal Family after his time in the forces, but didn't get in a hissy fit and maintained a role rather than running away to the Colonies. Nowadays, the Wessexes have a very good relationship within the Family, something that Harry seems to have abandoned completely.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Just sit back and admire the elegance of a bygone age . . .

DE5B42F1-370D-4C66-B8D7-9EC027886143.jpeg.522c13d58d9ab49a1c21a3da05480001.jpeg

That's about all they are useful for nowadays.

(dons flame suit for those that are still using them for model trains)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

That's about all they are useful for nowadays.

(dons flame suit for those that are still using them for model trains)

They’re very useful as weights too :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Until fairly recently there was a chap reconditioning them who used to do toy fairs in the south east.   I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable using one straight from the 1970s.

I had one, though admittedly the later style, PAT tested a few years ago before swapping it with a friend for a single Gaugemaster.

Both passed. but neither had ever lived in a shed or garage.:unsure:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

They’re fine with basic safety checks on earthing. My Dad has two, both secondhand, one he’s had for 30+ years the other I passed onto him last year from a friend. He’s a retired electronics engineer so he opens them up and cleans them and checks all the insulation and earthing. Keeps a Yorkshireman happy ;) 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2021 at 20:05, PaulRhB said:

They’re fine with basic safety checks on earthing. My Dad has two, both secondhand, one he’s had for 30+ years the other I passed onto him last year from a friend. He’s a retired electronics engineer so he opens them up and cleans them and checks all the insulation and earthing. Keeps a Yorkshireman happy ;) 

Next time, could you ask him to check the resistance of the mats? They come in different values, but apparently aren't marked on the outside.

H&M Resistance.jpg

Edited by kevinlms

On 21/06/2021 at 10:49, jwealleans said:

Until fairly recently there was a chap reconditioning them who used to do toy fairs in the south east.   I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable using one straight from the 1970s.

I can only dream of having such modern control gear as that from the 1970s.

H and M Controller.jpg

Edited by rocor
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just sit back and admire the elegance of a bygone age . . .

DE5B42F1-370D-4C66-B8D7-9EC027886143.jpeg.522c13d58d9ab49a1c21a3da05480001.jpeg

It’ll be a zero1 next . . .

Ah. Somebody has been watching Money For Nothing....  :prankster:

Nearly everything on it gets turned into a lamp!

Dave Gorman did a piece about it. Only a clip to get the idea, I'm sure you can find the rest if you wanted. 

• Funny 3