The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I think I watched it a bit later than you over here.  Have to admit I wasn't avid since there wasn't a lot of banging and clanging.

My parents didn't get a lot of things that we watched - the "Flying Circus" springs to mind.  I remember my dad watching and pronouncing "that's not funny, it's silly!"

Strangely enough now that I've turned into him, I have much the same reaction when I see the odd episode.  Funny how our tastes in comedy evolve.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I thought that was a euphemism for something else, but whichever, an air gun should solve the problem.

Mike.

Water pistol less cruel and much more fun.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Hroth said:

A wonderfully British amphibious plane, you'd never think that it was designed by the same bloke who designed the Schneider Trophy planes, let alone the Spitfire....

Its bad enough being the front gunner, obstructing the pilots view, but the rear gunner is in the "draught" from the pusher propellor, and has unequalled opportunities to dismantle his own tailplane!

And if I recall correctly, the service nickname for it was the "Shagbat".

:whistle:

It makes some of the spoof warplanes, described in Bruce McCall's book Zany Afternoons, look quite sensible. The British Humbley-Pudge "Gallipoli" heavyish bomber (endearingly outdated and harmless), the Soviet Snud U-14 transport (with distinctive cranked fuselage, caused by someone creasing a blueprint, and, in Stalin's Russia, not admitting to it), and the German "Dinkel" (basically an aluminium tube stuffed with fireworks confiscated by the Reichsministry of Sportive and Jolly Activities) have always rather appealed to me.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

He was always a bit of a porker. Used to play rugby to a high standard ISTR.

He's a Kiwi. I suspect that it's compulsory.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I thought that was a euphemism for something else, but whichever, an air gun should solve the problem.

Mike.

Air guns are deprecated nowadays.

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Water pistol less cruel and much more fun.

I prefer a Nerf gun*, though hose pipes are amusing!

* Also useful for discouraging grey squirrels from pigging out on the bird feeder.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2021 at 05:27, kevinlms said:

Latest fashion from Italy.

The only decision is, which boots do you want red/green or pink/blue?

fashion.jpg

Why is it I’m thinking just the GBRailways logo is missing? . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Now, why am I glad that I am not a follower of fashion? :spruceup:

99D91AF5-8E83-4A50-8FFF-BA7A36E6DA03.png.009e624dadd574ece86888194c1d5a7c.png

I think if you’re sat on a dragon you can probably pull most things off without criticism ;)

” in other news Vogue’s offices burnt down today . . . “  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, brossard said:

I think I watched it a bit later than you over here.  Have to admit I wasn't avid since there wasn't a lot of banging and clanging.

My parents didn't get a lot of things that we watched - the "Flying Circus" springs to mind.  I remember my dad watching and pronouncing "that's not funny, it's silly!"

Strangely enough now that I've turned into him, I have much the same reaction when I see the odd episode.  Funny how our tastes in comedy evolve.

John

Yes, I've been watching on You Tube (randomly, so the series are mixed up) and definitely some episodes are excellent, others less so. The latter case are definitely so in the case of the last series - the one without John Cleese, because as far as he was concerned, it was over. I have to agree with him.

No idea how they dreamed up some of the 'plots'.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 19:42, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

That remark is not in any way funny. Just ask any animal keeper whose pet has suffered from the attentions of some moron with an air weapon.

steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, I've been watching on You Tube (randomly, so the series are mixed up) and definitely some episodes are excellent, others less so. The latter case are definitely so in the case of the last series - the one without John Cleese, because as far as he was concerned, it was over. I have to agree with him.

No idea how they dreamed up some of the 'plots'.

I've watched a few on YouTube as well. Some of it's still very funny, but a lot is distinctly so-so, some is just dross, and there's a lot of stretching out an initially good idea far beyond the point of tedium. I do enjoy most of Gilliam's animations though.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, steve1 said:

That remark is not in any way funny. Just ask any animal keeper whose pet has suffered from the attentions of some moron with an air weapon.

steve

Perhaps if there were responsible cat owners who were considerate to their neighbours and did something about their animals digging up and defecating in other peoples gardens, then maybe such (tongue in cheek) comments wouldn't be necessary?

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PatB said:

I've watched a few on YouTube as well. Some of it's still very funny, but a lot is distinctly so-so, some is just dross, and there's a lot of stretching out an initially good idea far beyond the point of tedium. I do enjoy most of Gilliam's animations though.

One I saw recently is called Michael Ellis.

It's about Eric Idle who buys a pet ant at the department store, with the usual gags, salesman dropping a large book, on top of ants and a huge box to take it home etc.

It has a number of gags running through the episode. Obviously the ant  and the recurring reference to Michael Ellis (which he is referred to as several times, even though it isn't his name in the sketch).

But when he first goes into the department store, the woman in front buys a flame thrower and it's on the pilot light, so as she wanders around during the episode, she sets everything on fire, including the complaints department office, yet no one takes any notice!

Definitely one of the best full episodes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I believe that this is what is called an orthographic projection; of course it it used for UK-centric world maps as well, which we justify because the Greenwich Meridian, 0 degrees longitude, is at the centre.  It is an attempt to represent a 3 dimensional sphere on a 2 dimensional sheet of paper, and distorts in the high latitudes, the top edge of the projection representing the North Pole, which is a single location and not a line tens of thousands of miles long, and the bottom edge the South Pole in a similar way.  The left and right edges on a UK-centric orthographic world map both represent the same thing;180 degrees longitude, the base of the International Date Line.  It presents the map in squares of longitude and latitude, which is ball park right at the equator, but at the poles the grid is actually of triangular segments with curved base lines.

Such a map has political significance and implications, as countries futher away from the Equator such as the UK, US, France, Spain, Russia, Germany etc. are made to look bigger and more important than the 3rd world nations, largely closer to the Equator.  India on such a projection looks to be not much bigger than the UK and smaller than Australia; it is bigger than either.  It chimes with a colonial perception of WASP dominance.

The Mercator Projection, the one that looks like a tennis ball that's had a bad day, is less inaccurate, but the nearest you can get to a reasonable representation of the size of countries and the large islands will always be from a good globe.  Greenland is huge, but nowhere near the massive size that an Orthographic shows it to be.

An explorer left his camp, walked one mile due south, then one mile due east, shot a bear, then returned directly to his camp, covering another one mile in the process.

What colour was the bear?

1 minute ago, pH said:

An explorer left his camp, walked one mile due south, then one mile due east, shot a bear, then returned directly to his camp, covering another one mile in the process.

What colour was the bear?

White

• Agree 12