The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Only problem is that you'd have to do something severe, otherwise you'd be fobbed off with a community sevice order... 

Evidently, in Japan the authorities do have a problem as, if you're caught repeatedly shoplifting for example, you'll get locked up.  They have found that pensioners are taking advantage of this, especially in the winter.  It saves on heating...

It used to be said that "old age and low-down cunning would always triumph against youth and enthusiasm." 

Apparently it also works against the might of Japanese law.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Only problem is that you'd have to do something severe, otherwise you'd be fobbed off with a community sevice order... 

Evidently, in Japan the authorities do have a problem as, if you're caught repeatedly shoplifting for example, you'll get locked up.  They have found that pensioners are taking advantage of this, especially in the winter.  It saves on heating...

But how do they get to play Bingo?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

One of the driving forces behind this phenomenon, is the loop-hole that not only do you get free food and board over the cold winter, you also come out to all your pension payments that you haven't been able to touch whilst inside.

If you have no family, then this is quite an attractive life style option!

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, SHMD said:

One of the driving forces behind this phenomenon, is the loop-hole that not only do you get free food and board over the cold winter, you also come out to all your pension payments that you haven't been able to touch whilst inside.

If you have no family, then this is quite an attractive life style option!

Kev.

No thanks, I'd rather go down the street whenever I feel like it!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, rocor said:

maisie.jpg

A bit like my dad spending ages looking for a corkscrew even though there was at least six in the house including some on various gadgets, two in the kitchen drawer and two hanging on the wall.

Then getting irate when it was pointed out that the rubbish bottle of wine he's got in his hand is a screw top....

:rofl:

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Hroth said:

You've heard of Juvenile Delinquency - this is Senile Delinquency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A bit like my dad spending ages looking for a corkscrew even though there was at least six in the house including some on various gadgets, two in the kitchen drawer and two hanging on the wall.

Think my dad can top that - one Christmas, we splashed out on a proper bottle of wine. Not being wine drinkers, we had no corkscrew. "Hang on a minute..." he says, then he comes back in from the shed with a bit-and-brace. 

One person to hold the bottle, and him with two hands to operate the drill, which proceeded to comprehensively destroy the cork by having too large a drill bit. 

There's a photo somewhere of the ingenious solution, before we discovered exactly how ingenious it turned out: we were picking bits of cork out of our teeth for days. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The only thing worse than those were Wimpy! :bad:

I seem to remember that Wimpy were a building company, with a reputation for being as cheap a the yellow arches.  perhaps because they used similar materials...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

burger.jpg.d0dc710d8c0029d7a02152aa92d68b2b.jpg

Friend of mine went to a car boot and put out a box of hose fittings he’d acquired. 30p each or three for £1, just to see what happened. 

He didn’t sell a single one . . .

but lots of threes! ;) 

The brain goes with recognisable patterns as a ‘shortcut’.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Fun fact.

Wimpy was named after the hamburger loving character from Popeye!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimpy_(restaurant)

spacer.png

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Fun fact.

Wimpy was named after the hamburger loving character from Popeye!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimpy_(restaurant)

spacer.png

An early warning about the perils of over-indulgence of "fast food".

Just Say No!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

169061656_119340673566115_4815868920148645402_n.jpg

I can distinctly remember as an apprentice in the Steel Industry that all the safety officers that lectured us on keeping safe had at least two fingers missing, almost seemed to be part of the job description back then,  There was also always the old raconteur foreman who would tell the young apprentices stories of all the horrendous accidents that he had witnessed, if I had seen half of what he claimed to have seen I think I would have PTS.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Really?

When a blind taste test was done in the UK some years ago they didn't come bottom, the golden arches did.

Top was Wendy's.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2